Windows 10: How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10?

Discus and support How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i have backups with >256 characters how do reorganize without losing my data?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RonWilcox7, May 14, 2020.

1. How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10?

i have backups with >256 characters how do reorganize without losing my data?

:)

RonWilcox7, May 14, 2020

2. shorten a file path

i'm unable to save documents from external drive to my desktop because the file name is too long. so far the instructions on line to change or shorten the file path make no sense to me. is this something a typical user is able to do?

cathytaylor4, May 14, 2020
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, May 14, 2020
  4. How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10?

Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, May 14, 2020
Thema:

How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10?

1. How do i shorten a PATH and not lose my data in win 10? - Similar Threads - shorten PATH lose

2. How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long: How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-shorten-file-and-or-folder-paths-that-get/9a6249d7-3a53-49f3-a40f-488e1eb49f34
  3. How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long: How to shorten file and or folder paths that get unreasonably long https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-shorten-file-and-or-folder-paths-that-get/9a6249d7-3a53-49f3-a40f-488e1eb49f34
  4. Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to shorten Network Drive file paths?: We are currently using Network Locations to access our company SharePoint files. We decided to use Network Location instead of OneDrive, because OneDrive has a delay of 5-15 between a person uploading a file and other people seeing the file on their file explorer.However, we...
  5. losing my data

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    losing my data: I had a account in my laptop but I signed out and the same account signed me in. After signing in a message pops up saying we couldn't sign in to your account and my data in that account has also vanished...
  6. Reinstall Win 10 without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Win 10 without losing data: Please direct me to a relevant tutorial so that I can reinstall Windows 10 without losing anything on my computer. I hav Macrium so imaging the C drive isn't a problem. 163886
  7. shorten a file path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shorten a file path: i'm unable to save documents from external drive to my desktop because the file name is too long. so far the instructions on line to change or shorten the file path make no sense to me. is this something a typical user is able to do?...
  8. How do I change Chrome user data path?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I change Chrome user data path?: Is there a way I can change the below default Google Chrome User Data path to some selected folder of my choice say in D:\Chrome Data? C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data 126963
  9. How do I change Chrome user data path?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change Chrome user data path?: Is there a way I can change the below default Google Chrome User Data path to some selected folder of my choice say in D:\Chrome Data? C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data 126963
  10. How do i Clean install Win 10 without losing my activation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do i Clean install Win 10 without losing my activation?: Hello, I took part in the free upgrade offer from 7 and used the media creation tool to upgrade (probably should have waited for the upgrade notification but meh), It worked my windows 10 is activated but, I noticed that it wasn't a clean install and I'm not too fond of that...