Windows 10: How do I shrink my C: partition?

Discus and support How do I shrink my C: partition? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Plex server that I want to dual boot with openSUSE Linux. On a Windows partition that has about 150GB of free space, I can shrink that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TreatmentForYourRash, Apr 6, 2020.

1. How do I shrink my C: partition?

I have a Plex server that I want to dual boot with openSUSE Linux. On a Windows partition that has about 150GB of free space, I can shrink that partition only about 17GB. I ran the Windows disk defragmenter and Defraggler and there has been no difference since running the two. Defraggler says that there's pieces of a file in C:\System Volume Information\ towards the end of the partition that can't be moved.

What do I do?

submitted by /u/TreatmentForYourRash
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TreatmentForYourRash, Apr 6, 2020

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Apr 6, 2020
  3. mgreen10 Win User
    SHRINK C VOLUME TO SMALLER CAPACITY

I have the same issue. I have a brand new HP Envy 17t laptop and have put no files or apps on it. I tried to use Disk Management to shrink the C: system volume but it would only allow 50% shrink. I moved the pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys to another physical
    drive, E:, but this made no difference. I can still only shrink the C: volume to 50%.

Perhaps the only solution is to use a third-party partition editor like easeus or mini Partition Editor.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks!

mgreen10, Apr 6, 2020
  4. How do I shrink my C: partition?

Cannot shrink C: partition: Not enough space

Try launching the Event Viewer to see which individual files are blocking the partition shrink.

1. Once again, attempt to shrink the partition. You should get the "There is not enough space" error.
    2. Launch Windows' Event Viewer application.
    3. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs > Application.
    4. Find and Click a recent log of type Warning. It should have the message, "Error: during volume shrink initiated on volume Windows (CHow do I shrink my C: partition? :) we failed to move a movable file extent." (screenshot)
    5. The Diagnostic details will give you the name of the "last unmovable file"
    6. Delete this file (Simply send to recycle bin. I did not need a hard delete).
    7. Try shrinking your volume again.
    8. Repeat steps 2-7 until you successfully shrink your partition. (In my case, I had to do this 3 times, as I had 3 pdf files in my local Google Drive that were for some reason stuck as 'unmovable'.).
    9. Restore your deleted files.

CAUTION:
    Make sure you know what you are deleting! In my case, I knew that these pdf files were:

1. Not system files
    2. Easy to download again if they became lost

misterschmitz, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

How do I shrink my C: partition?

1. How do I shrink my C: partition? - Similar Threads - shrink partition

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  4. Windows 11 Boot Problem after Shrinking System C: Partition

Windows 11 Boot Problem after Shrinking System C: Partition: I'd like to install Arch Linux on my own laptop, then I make the partition from my SSD which contain System WIndows files and shrink it using GParted. Actually, the first I want tomake the partition directly from WIndows using default partition manager from windows but I...
  5. Windows 11 Boot Problem after Shrinking System C: Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Boot Problem after Shrinking System C: Partition: I'd like to install Arch Linux on my own laptop, then I make the partition from my SSD which contain System WIndows files and shrink it using GParted. Actually, the first I want tomake the partition directly from WIndows using default partition manager from windows but I...
  6. Actually I Shrinked one partition but After i am creating it shows like this But can we...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Actually I Shrinked one partition but After i am creating it shows like this But can we...: I need to Install Phoenix OS in this dynamic disk Please anyone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/actually-i-shrinked-one-partition-but-after-i-am/504b1d68-c998-4b8c-8d11-f25e3859d9f7
  7. Actually I Shrinked one partition but After i am creating it shows like this But can we...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Actually I Shrinked one partition but After i am creating it shows like this But can we...: I need to Install Phoenix OS in this dynamic disk Please anyone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/actually-i-shrinked-one-partition-but-after-i-am/504b1d68-c998-4b8c-8d11-f25e3859d9f7
  8. Actually I Shrinked one partition but After i am creating it shows like this But can we...

9. At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point"....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point"....: At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point". I am using window 11 latest version. Kindly help...
  10. At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point"....

At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point"....: At the time of disk partition it's showing "my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point". I am using window 11 latest version. Kindly help...