Windows 10: How do I shut down my PC with the power button on my USB Keyboard

Discus and support How do I shut down my PC with the power button on my USB Keyboard in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have tried using the power settings and make it so that the power button shuts down my PC but it only sleeps. How can I make it so the power button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SPLDan, Feb 14, 2021.

1. SPLDan Win User

How do I shut down my PC with the power button on my USB Keyboard

I have tried using the power settings and make it so that the power button shuts down my PC but it only sleeps.

How can I make it so the power button on my keyboard shuts down my PC entirely?

:)

SPLDan, Feb 14, 2021
  2. GARoss Win User

PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?)

My wife's Mac Mini is so old Apple will not update the OS, stating the hardware is too old. I think Apple just wants us to purchase a new Mac. *What We didn't. I built her a new PC with a mix of older, but still good hardware. *Thumbs

So far so good but I have hit a snag. I can only wake the PC out of sleep when pressing the power button, not by pressing "any key" on the keyboard or mouse which I thought was normal.

We will use a USB type keyboard soon but for now the keyboard is an older Microsoft brand which uses a PS/2 connector, not a USB. I don't know if that might be the issue or maybe some power setting I've missed. In Power Options, Balanced is selected & under "Choose what the power button does" is set to "Shut down". I use these settings on my PC as well & pressing any key on the keyboard bring my PC out of sleep.

Any suggestions?

GARoss, Feb 14, 2021
  3. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

• Open the Keyboard control panel item by typing keyboard into Start Menu.
    • Click the Hardware tab, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Change Settings button

Note: This step requires Administrator access
    • Click the Power Management tab, and then verify that the Allow this device to wake the computer is enabled.
    • Click OK, and then click OK again.

FreeBooter, Feb 14, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, How do I shut down my PC with the power button on my USB Keyboard :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I shut down my PC with the power button on my USB Keyboard - Similar Threads - shut down power

2. My pc randomly shuts down and power back on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc randomly shuts down and power back on: On event viewer it says, The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID Windows.SecurityCenter.WscCloudBackupProvider and APPID Unavailable to the user SHRONK\Kavin SID...
  3. My pc randomly shuts down and power back on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc randomly shuts down and power back on: On event viewer it says, The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID Windows.SecurityCenter.WscCloudBackupProvider and APPID Unavailable to the user SHRONK\Kavin SID...
  4. I can't shut down my PC when I click on the power button. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't shut down my PC when I click on the power button. What should I do?: I can't shut down my PC when I click on the power button. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-shut-down-my-pc-when-i-click-on-the-power/f555d240-5c4f-45fd-9932-873a8bc17f4d
  5. I can't shut down my PC when I click on the power button. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't shut down my PC when I click on the power button. What should I do?: I can't shut down my PC when I click on the power button. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-shut-down-my-pc-when-i-click-on-the-power/f555d240-5c4f-45fd-9932-873a8bc17f4d
  6. I can't shut down my PC when I click on the power button. What should I do?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Power button LED on while PC is SHUT DOWN

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power button LED on while PC is SHUT DOWN: Hello, I have a Dell OptiPlex 7050 SFF and ever since my I installed a Windows update, when I shutdown my computer the Power Button LED remains white, basically making it impossible for me to tell when it is on/off.I've had this computer for like two months and this has never...
  8. Power Button keep shutting down PC

Power Button keep shutting down PC: It is already set as Do nothing in the Power and sleep button settings, but whenever I accidentally or intentionally try to press the power button, the PC force close all windows and program and then turn to blue shutdown screen and shutdown. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64...
  9. Power then Shut down Buttons

Power then Shut down Buttons: My choices were: " Power" then "Sleep Shut Down and Restrart." They are now: "Power",then Sleep Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart When I click on "Update and Shut Down", the machine goes back into Restart at once and then takes a long period of time after...
  10. Pc sometimes shuts down after clicking the power button

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc sometimes shuts down after clicking the power button: Hey so, about a month ago, I bought brand components for my PC build, and I noticed an issue witch is really bugging me, after clicking the power button my PC will shut down sometimes, but most of the times it wont, so I got to shut it down in the windows menu, and solutions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shift key power button usb