Windows 10: How do I sort photos by date on Windows 11?

Discus and support How do I sort photos by date on Windows 11? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I bought a new computer yesterday and am currently uploading my photos. On my previous computers photos were automatically uploaded into folders with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MandyBoo, May 20, 2022.

1. MandyBoo Win User

How do I sort photos by date on Windows 11?

I bought a new computer yesterday and am currently uploading my photos. On my previous computers photos were automatically uploaded into folders with the date the photos were taken for example 2016-07-22 But on this computer all photos from an SD card are in one folder. This is not suitable for me. I also preferred the simple "My Pictures" folder. I do not like this "Photos" app. Can anyone help?

:)

MandyBoo, May 20, 2022

2. How to sort photos in Windows essentials photo gallery.

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to sort your pictures in the way you want them. Kindly take note that the only options to sort your photos in Photo Gallery are the following:

• Date taken
    • Date modified
    • File size
    • Image size
    • Rating
    • Caption
    • File name
    Also I suggest follow the below steps.

Press ALT + W + K, one after other & check if the photos are shown in the order they were taken.

I hope this helps.

Thanks & regards.

Mohammed Ali.

Mohammed AliAli, May 20, 2022
  3. How to sort photos in Windows essentials photo gallery.

Thanks for your response, but that doesn't seem to do anything in the Photos app I am running under Windows 10.

You mentioned Photo Gallery so I think you may be talking about a different application than the one I am using..

John

JohnFig_48, May 20, 2022
  4. ed9213 Win User

Different views of Photos in Explorer in Windows 10 and Android after sorting by date

I have folders full of photos. Some cameras start the filenames with the date, some with IMG_, some with IMG-, etc.

To get the latest ones sorted at the top of the list in File Explorer, I insert the Date Taken column in the column list and sort by that.

So looking at the files in File Explorer in Details view, I sort by Date Taken. In the list all looks correct.

Then I double-click on the first photo and it opens with the built-in Photos application.

When I look at the photos in a C: drive folder, they appear in order.

When I sort the files with File Explorer by Date Taken on my Android 9 phone, imagine my surprise when the pics have been sorted and displayed by months, even though they are shown in proper date order in File Explorer. So, first the August 2019 photos
    appear, then the August 2018, then the August 2017, etc, before the July 2019 pics come up.

Is it the Photos program, or its interaction with the File Explorer, or the translation from Android? It used to be that the Photos application would display in whatever order the File Explorer organized them. Now it does not.

Can this be addressed? Is there a setting in File Explorer or Photos that will change the sorting format?

Thanks.

ed9213, May 20, 2022
Thema:

1. How do I sort photos by date on Windows 11? - Similar Threads - sort photos date

2. How can I sort the pictures on the Windows 11 Photos App by date??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I sort the pictures on the Windows 11 Photos App by date??: I am currently organising all of my pictures and I wanted to do this on my Windows 11 Laptop, as I thought this was going to be easier than doing it on my phone. I transferred all of my pictures no problems there and then wanted to start organising. I sorted my pictures by...
  3. How can I sort the pictures on the Windows 11 Photos App by date??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I sort the pictures on the Windows 11 Photos App by date??: I am currently organising all of my pictures and I wanted to do this on my Windows 11 Laptop, as I thought this was going to be easier than doing it on my phone. I transferred all of my pictures no problems there and then wanted to start organising. I sorted my pictures by...
  4. Sorting photos by date in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting photos by date in Windows 11: PLease can you explain how to sort photos by date taken when importing from an iPhone into WIndows 11? THis used to be very easy in Windows 10 but WIndows 11 doesnt seem to sort them by date. Thank you...
  5. Sorting photos by date in Windows 11

Sorting photos by date in Windows 11: PLease can you explain how to sort photos by date taken when importing from an iPhone into WIndows 11? THis used to be very easy in Windows 10 but WIndows 11 doesnt seem to sort them by date. Thank you...
  6. Windows 11 Photos App will not sort by Date Taken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Photos App will not sort by Date Taken.: I purchased PC with Windows 11 April 2022. When photos transferred from W10 they were organized by Date Taken which is what I have preferred for many years. When the automatic upgrade occured in Oct 2022 ALL of my photos are unorganized. Even if I click on option to sort by...
  7. Windows 11 Photos App will not sort by Date Taken.

Windows 11 Photos App will not sort by Date Taken.: I purchased PC with Windows 11 April 2022. When photos transferred from W10 they were organized by Date Taken which is what I have preferred for many years. When the automatic upgrade occured in Oct 2022 ALL of my photos are unorganized. Even if I click on option to sort by...
  8. How do I sort photos by date on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I sort photos by date on Windows 11?: I bought a new computer yesterday and am currently uploading my photos. On my previous computers photos were automatically uploaded into folders with the date the photos were taken for example 2016-07-22 But on this computer all photos from an SD card are in one folder. This...
  9. Sorting Photos by date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sorting Photos by date: After the latest update to Photos, the option to import the photos by date isnt available any more. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sorting-photos-by-date/99a856b7-40a0-48ed-be3b-98b2986d869c
  10. Sorting photos by date

Sorting photos by date: I'm scanning and adding many old photos. The Photo app sees the Date Created as the date I scanned the photos. I thought if I filed them by date in My Pictures, they would appear by that date in Photos. Do I really have to go back to each photo and change the date created?...