Windows 10: How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen

Discus and support How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Win10 and Win8.1 dual boot system. When the system boots I usually get this screen. [img] Rarely do I get the screen I would like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael512, Feb 1, 2021.

1. How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen

Hi,

I have a Win10 and Win8.1 dual boot system. When the system boots I usually get this screen.

How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen [​IMG]

Rarely do I get the screen I would like to standardize on.

How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen [​IMG]

How do I get the system to always use the GUI vs Console version of the boot select screen.

Thanks

:)

Michael512, Feb 1, 2021

2. Boot Select Screen?

Hi

I've got Windows 10 all installed and running in a dual boot setup with Windows 8, no problems so far.

But I'd like to have a boot select screen when I turn on my computer as I did when I was dual booting Windows 7 and 8.

I can boot to Widows 8 by hitting F8 and selecting the correct hard drive to boot to, (it only lists the drives not the OS or partition names) but otherwise it just boots into Windows 10 without asking.

Anyone know how to set this up?

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Dual Boot?

I can help here iv had both i used partition magic to split my HDD and i installed vista on one and xp was already on the other only problem is id watch out if i were you for some reason vista does not like to dual boot iv seen this on a couple of my machines and my buddys. so step one have xp installed step 2 find a partitioner of your choice i dont know of any except partition magic and the one included on xp...only thing is i dont think the one on xp will even partition them...then pop in your vista DVD and select the drive of your choice....the only thing i can think of that causes vista to hate dual booting sooo much is that when their are 2 OS's installed xp uses its own prog to list them on boot well vista uses a totally diff boot loader than the previous os's and i think they conflict the problems i hade were the standard missing windows folder missing HAL.dll and the nt one dont remember the name.....that and after your done vista and boot into xp things didnt like to start correctly specially if you scan disk with vista.

Solaris17, Feb 1, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen

1. How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen - Similar Threads - standardize dual boot

2. how do i dual boot with windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i dual boot with windows 10 and 7: so i want to dual boot windows 10 and 7 i have copied win7 installation files into my usb stick i created a new drive for win7 i took storage from my hdd i added 100gb to win7 drive but do i lose my data when i install win7 on a drive that i took storage from hdd so pls reply...
  3. How do I reboot and select proper boot device.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I reboot and select proper boot device.: Hi so my computer is a msi and has windows 10 on it and is saying reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key....
  4. how do I remove the select language off the screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do I remove the select language off the screen: How do I remove the select language off the welcome screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-the-select-language-off-the-screen/4f256729-146a-4cef-8b2e-8123a2ebd4ce
  5. How do I repair a dual boot system.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I repair a dual boot system.: I have Windows 7 and 10 on a SSD PC (c:) but I keep getting a report that files are corrupt. My system boots fine but I no longer see the dual boot screen at startup. If I'm running MS Solitaire Collection card games my the games crash sometimes. I have the original Win 7...
  6. Dual boot encryption at OS selection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dual boot encryption at OS selection: I have two ssd's both with Windows 10. I have it set to boot to OS selection. I want to encrypt both ssd's separately so that when I choose one OS or the other that is when I have to enter the password. So far I have use bitlocker to encrypt one drive but it requires me to...
  7. OS Boot Selection Screen

OS Boot Selection Screen: Hi there reader/expert, More a question than an actual problem. I have a dual boot system with both 8.1x64 and 10x64 on my 240GB SSD and I always used to have a nice boot selection screen in blue, like on the right side of the picture (something I grabbed from the inet)....
  8. Boot Select Screen?

Boot Select Screen?: Hi I've got Windows 10 all installed and running in a dual boot setup with Windows 8, no problems so far. But I'd like to have a boot select screen when I turn on my computer as I did when I was dual booting Windows 7 and 8. I can boot to Widows 8 by hitting F8 and...
  9. How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC: Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. I want to install all the programs I want on Partition F (while booted into it). This is my clean install. When they all work as I want them to, I intend to delete the current partition C: (the old installation) and just use the clean...
  10. I do not have a dual boot screen

I do not have a dual boot screen: Just installed Windows Insider on new computer - drive 0. Drive 1 is my Windows Creator. After the install of Insider, I do not have a dual boot screen that comes up. I have a feeling it has something to do with UEFI but I don't know what. Any Ideas? What can I do to make the...