Windows 10: How do I stop a windows task from waking my computer?

Discus and support How do I stop a windows task from waking my computer? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, so I don't always leave my computer in sleep mode during the night, but sometimes I do when I intend to continue what I was doing the next day. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CreeperKing, Mar 28, 2020.

1. How do I stop a windows task from waking my computer?

Hi, so I don't always leave my computer in sleep mode during the night, but sometimes I do when I intend to continue what I was doing the next day. The problem is that at midnight my computer wakes up, and when I check event viewer I find that a task called "Universal Orchestrator Start"it has something to do with windows update was ran and that it is set to wake my computer. That in itself is not much of a problem. The problem is that it does it at midnight when I am trying to sleep. Can I change this so that the task does not wake the computer or at least change the time when it runs to a time when I am awake? I did try myself to change these settings, but when I hit "OK" it said to enter the user name and password for running this task. So I entered the username and password for my Admin account, but then I get a message saying that the task had incorrect data. Can someone please help me? I don't need this task causing my computer to wake me up in the night. What can I do?

:)

CreeperKing, Mar 28, 2020
  2. JonPls Win User

windows task wakes up computer

Yes, I'll quote you on that link again since out of all the options to disable wake timers, this is the only definitive solution to this problem. Especially the part where you remove all ownership and write permissions from Windows to the actual task file,
    otherwise Windows will very aggressively guard this task and ignore/undo all your wake timer settings, in whatever way you did them.

Again, this is why it's so baffling to me that they can't say why this task is SO important that it needs to wake up your PC no matter what.

But at least having this solution more propagated will hopefully save some people the frustrating trial and error this has been for us.

JonPls, Mar 28, 2020
  3. MRE38 Win User

Yes, I'll quote you on that link again since out of all the options to disable wake timers, this is the only definitive solution to this problem. Especially the part where you remove all ownership and write permissions from Windows to the actual task file,
    otherwise Windows will very aggressively guard this task and ignore/undo all your wake timer settings, in whatever way you did them.
    Again, this is why it's so baffling to me that they can't say why this task is SO important that it needs to wake up your PC no matter what.

But at least having this solution more propagated will hopefully save some people the frustrating trial and error this has been for us.

After 2 weeks of tranquillity the PC woke up again this night and I think the previous night. There was some "update" yesterday. But I checked the scheduled tasks and the rempl tasks are still disabled, they didn't fire according to the scheduler, and the
    wake up option is not activated.

An UpdateOrchestrator task (Reboot) has the wake up option but it is disabled as well. However it was also started the night before (but the update failed). So I will remove the ownership like I did for the rempl task and we will see. I am not sure because
    apparently this task was not fired this night.

MRE38, Mar 28, 2020
  4. MRE38 Win User

How do I stop a windows task from waking my computer?

That's true, the "support" persons apparently know less than anyone who does a 5 minutes search on the problem.

They don't try to understand the issue. They don't even try to understand the relevant information you provide them while they are not able to ask for it. They know only generic steps, at best useless, but often harmful : do you have the last system build
    ? disable 3rd party software, and the like.

I have the same problem. I asked for help in this forum. The goal is to find why the PC wakes up, but they would ask no question about powercfg (I guess they don't even know what it is), nor about scheduled tasks, nor nothing relevant. They just check for
    the build number (if ever I didn't have the last one, bingo for them), then do follow a long, painful, useless, disturbing procedure that will only address 3rd party issues called "clean boot". Not a single word about the rempl tasks, of course.

The Microsoft support is at the image of their OS: crappy.

How to prevent this insane Windows 10 to wake up my computer in the middle of the night

I found some help here: Conclusively stop wake timers from waking Windows 10 desktop

Especially step 3, about how to list which are the wake up timers (I specifically asked for that to the support, but, hey, their moron's answer was the clean boot procedure), it listed the rempl tasks. The command I used is (in Powershell) :

Get-ScheduledTask | where {$_.settings.waketorun}

I removed the wake up option from these tasks and I will see if it comes back and if these tasks are the culprit. If so, I will go back to the other ticket and tell the support person what he deserves.

MRE38, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

How do I stop a windows task from waking my computer?

1. How do I stop a windows task from waking my computer? - Similar Threads - stop task waking

2. How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer: There's an update that keeps failing. Windows restarts, updates, fails of course, and then rolls back. This happens every other day or so. I'm losing a fk ton of work all the time because when windows rolls back, stuff I was working on gets closed and work lost.This is so...
  3. How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop Windows from trying to update my computer: There's an update that keeps failing. Windows restarts, updates, fails of course, and then rolls back. This happens every other day or so. I'm losing a fk ton of work all the time because when windows rolls back, stuff I was working on gets closed and work lost.This is so...
  4. How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up?: How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-my-computer-from-randomly-waking-up/ed1921f1-0430-45b2-9366-011c2209b378
  5. How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up?: How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-my-computer-from-randomly-waking-up/ed1921f1-0430-45b2-9366-011c2209b378
  6. Stop computer waking: WaaSMedicSvc resets updateorchestrator tasks

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stop computer waking: WaaSMedicSvc resets updateorchestrator tasks: Every morning when I would get up I would find my computer had been woken and then gone back to sleep. Using powercfg -waketimers I found that backup scan and policy install tasks were configured to wake the PC. On occasion, reboot would also be enabled. using psexec I was...
  7. How do I stop wake timers hijaking mny computer!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I stop wake timers hijaking mny computer!!: HELP!! I've just about come to the end of my tether with Microsoft and their wake timers stopping my computer hibernating! I have updated all the power profiles not to allow to wake from sleep, they're all disabled. I've managed to stop UpdateOrchestrator running Wake...
  8. How do I stop Windows from restarting my computer, EVER?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I stop Windows from restarting my computer, EVER?: I sometimes come back to my computer after a break or in the morning to see that all my programs have been closed down and all my work discarded. I have lost half a dozen unsaved text files with notes and to-do lists. I would have lost hours of client work because of this, if...
  9. How to stop mouse movement from waking the computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to stop mouse movement from waking the computer?: I don't want my computer to wake from Sleep when the mouse is moved. I went to Computer Management > Device Manager > Mice > HID-compliant mouse > Properties > Power Management and unchecked "Allow this device to wake the computer". However moving the mouse still wakes the...
  10. How do I stop computers from syncing?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I stop computers from syncing?: Have used Windows since the mid-90s. A few years ago I was given an iPad mini because I needed a tablet. After fighting with it for a few years I got a tablet running Win10. I've found that after setting up the tablet, changes on the tablet were also made on my desktop. How...