Windows 10: How do I stop automatic upgrades on Windows 10

Discus and support How do I stop automatic upgrades on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I live in rural SA, cannot get my internet through a land-line (too far from nearest exchange). Over the mobile network only get 7GB/month but Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Rob N, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Rob N Win User

How do I stop automatic upgrades on Windows 10

I live in rural SA, cannot get my internet through a land-line (too far from nearest exchange). Over the mobile network only get 7GB/month but Windows 10 regularly automatically downloads and installs upgrades which takes me way over my monthly data allowance, which is expensive. On my old lap-top (Windows 7) I could choose which upgrades and updates to download but Windows 10 Settings doesn"t seem to allow this. Is there any way of disabling automatic downloads ?

:)

Rob N, Sep 7, 2017

2. How do I stop automatic update on Windows 10? Process sticks at 40% during file copy

not helpful at all. I still don't know how to turn automatic updates OFF

MartyLeask, Sep 7, 2017
  3. How do I stop windows 10 automatic updates on my lenovo yoga ?

Let us know how it goes.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 7, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 7, 2017
  5. nt62 Win User
    Does option 2 - disable Updates in Services really work ? Stop ALL updates ?
    ... *Arrow going to try this - Thanks Brink.

... doing clean installs so very often - never stay with same OS for more than a few days.
    Used to be able to stop updates - with gpedit - on every system until later builds - right - !
    Had to edit post #1 from your tutorial with later 10 builds.

Let's see *Kill

nt62, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Option 2 will disable automatic updates, but the "We'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly" message in Windows Update does make you wonder what may still be installed.

You could do Option 5 to disable the "Windows Update" service to completely kill it though, and enable it again when ready to check for and install updates.

Brink, Sep 7, 2017
  7. nt62 Win User
    ok. got excited and misread the option (5) number.
    First posted on mint.
    Now posting on 8.1.1
    Will try stopping updates on 16251 - latest available build for download from MS without participating with an MS account.

Your office and z3r010's office probably has 5 operating systems running at the same time so I'm not the only one. *Nerd

nt62, Sep 7, 2017
  8. nt62 Win User

Using option 5 stops updates.
    Trying to get updates with
    the service disabled generates an error. ! *Tongue Out

How do I stop automatic upgrades on Windows 10 [​IMG]

nt62, Sep 7, 2017
  9. Rob N Win User
    Hi Brink, thanks for your info - had no idea Windows 10 can be set for metered or un-metered connection - it's actually a good idea and I never thought I'd say that about a computer (I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to these things). To start with I've changed settings to a metered connection as the normal regular updates for security etc. aren't a problem as they don't use much data. Will see how things go but will keep your info on file for future reference just incase. Many thanks.

Rob N, Sep 8, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Rob. Please let us know how it went.

Brink, Sep 8, 2017
  11. Rob N Win User
    Hi Brink,
    Had a bunch of updates arrive yesterday, it did not automatically download them because of metered connection but it did give me the choice to download some of them and gave me the data usage involved which was very useful and gives me much more control over data usage.Have played around with Options 1 and 2 more of an exercise than anything else - I'm sure I'm on the Home version as I can't find a Local Group Policy Editor but I'm happy with the results of my first foray into Ten Forum, Thanks.*Biggrin

Rob N, Sep 9, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. I'm glad it will work for you. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I stop automatic upgrades on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - stop automatic upgrades

2. how do i stop the Windows 11 automatic installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i stop the Windows 11 automatic installation?: I want to stay with Windows 10 but if I do updates my computer is attempting to install Windows 11. How do I shut this off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-the-windows-11-automatic/22f9c468-5fc9-4ecd-9724-90a477712889
  3. how do i stop the Windows 11 automatic installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i stop the Windows 11 automatic installation?: I want to stay with Windows 10 but if I do updates my computer is attempting to install Windows 11. How do I shut this off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-the-windows-11-automatic/22f9c468-5fc9-4ecd-9724-90a477712889
  4. how do i stop the Windows 11 automatic installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I stop automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently?

How do I stop automatic updates on Windows 10 permanently?: How do I stop automatic updates permanently? I have Windows 10, Version 1909 installed on my PC. Dell, Inspiron 3847. For the last few months, I have tried to update to Windows Version 20H2 but the updates fail when it reaches 71% . I have tried using the Media Creation tool...
  6. How do i stop window from automatically minimising?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i stop window from automatically minimising?: Sorry I can’t really explain the title, but basically, heres what im tryna do. Im tryna take notes on word from a PowerPoint presentation. Whenever i try to have both windows open the powerpoint application automatically minimises whenever i click on word. How do i ‘lock’ the...
  7. How do I stop automatic update in windows 10?

How do I stop automatic update in windows 10?: I am using windows 10 home on my laptop and I am bored of those annoying updatesin windows 10. They are just coming and making computer slow if im not updating....
  8. Stop to upgrade automatically

Stop to upgrade automatically: Automatic upgrade is very dangerous feature in Windows OS. Recently I encountered two symptoms: loss of wifi connection and front camera. Once the system upgraded automatically, I lost the said features without assistance from Microsoft and hardware manufactures. It is not...
  9. How do I stop automatic updates - Microsoft 10

How do I stop automatic updates - Microsoft 10: These automatic updates are ridiculous, especially since it automatically restarts my computer when I have work running on it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-do-i-stop-automatic-updates-microsoft-10/a95f5d0f-77f2-4dab-b26a-09b8daebf512
  10. How do I stop automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I stop automatic updates?: Hi everyone, I hate Windows 10 because it updates without my consent and slows my computer down a lot. I'd like to be notified that new updates are available and give my OK to download and install them. Can anyone help me please? 10707