Windows 10: how do I stop defrag running randomly and unscheduled windows 10

Discus and support how do I stop defrag running randomly and unscheduled windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am trying to reduce memory use and wear to my HDD, and windows 10 pro 64bit keep running random processes, even when the schedule is disabled. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by tejhatjhte, May 16, 2021.

1. how do I stop defrag running randomly and unscheduled windows 10

I am trying to reduce memory use and wear to my HDD, and windows 10 pro 64bit keep running random processes, even when the schedule is disabled. The latest is defrag, which runs randomly and unscheduled. I have read the Q&A here and the concensus is to disable it in the registry, which is what I have done. My questions are will defrag work on command with the registry entry disabled and does it effect anything else. If I want to run it by changing the 'no' to 'yes' in the registry every time I use it, is there another way to stop it running randomly?

:)

tejhatjhte, May 16, 2021

2. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, May 16, 2021
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows 10. Cannot run Defrag

Hi,

Thank you for your response. It is possible that you received the error
    The Task Scheduler service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs
    due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows are you using?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you tried booting up your computer in Safe Mode by clicking on this
    link. Check if you're able to run defrag.

If it worked, we also recommend that you follow the steps in this article on how to perform clean boot.
    This will help eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10.

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal
    startup after fixing the issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 16, 2021
  4. CrashA Win User

how do I stop defrag running randomly and unscheduled windows 10

Windows 10 Defrag

Having a similar issue have tried running optimization ansd ran fine on the c drive but when to try and run on the system potion it goes to pass 1 then 2 in seconds and comes back 100 % fragmented but defraged the c drive cleanly ??

Have gone thru this post and SFC ran clean no errors, checked services.msc and listed itemsd are on automatic but disk defragmenter was not listed there ?? The optimization schedule is set for automatic weekly, but probably is not running since I do not
    leave my pc on. My next step would be the windows performance recorder , but before go another step is it possible that this portion was not ment to be defrag ?? Or just turn off the auto schedule and would run ??

This is being done to resolve another issue which is in another post when boot up on the first try pc locks up on the black screen with the blue window, when reboot again it starts up correctly, also in sesolution have tried running chdk C:/r and when get
    to 10% complete it just runs for hours, (2 hours). So thought the defrg would help solve some of these 2 issues !!

Go figure 2 step to fix anther and one issue in each step !!

Any further suggestions ??

how do I stop defrag running randomly and unscheduled windows 10 aae91fee-90f4-46c4-9c04-65581c7f71eb.jpg

CrashA, May 16, 2021
Thema:

how do I stop defrag running randomly and unscheduled windows 10

1. how do I stop defrag running randomly and unscheduled windows 10 - Similar Threads - stop defrag running

2. Defrag runs constantly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defrag runs constantly: Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time...
  3. Defrag runs constantly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defrag runs constantly: Win10 64. Defrag runs constantly, grinding away at my hard drives for no reason. The both drives are 0% fragmented, except for system reserved files which are 40% fragmented and defrag will not touch them. The Defrag is OFF, how do I stop the system running defrag every time...
  4. Defrag runs constantly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do i stop random BSOD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i stop random BSOD?: For months now i have been getting random BSOD whenever i am just roaming around on my desktop, with a different error code almost every time. I play a lot of games, and it never happens when i am in a game, only when watching youtube videos, making assignments in word or...
  6. How do i stop random BSOD?

How do i stop random BSOD?: For months now i have been getting random BSOD whenever i am just roaming around on my desktop, with a different error code almost every time. I play a lot of games, and it never happens when i am in a game, only when watching youtube videos, making assignments in word or...
  7. Windows 11 Unscheduled install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Unscheduled install: Dear Microsoft - I did not schedule a Windows 11 install, and you installed it on the most key day when I have to do remote support.... consequently as expected things dont work... I am missing a screen for starters all 3 monitors are connected to the same card! I am...
  8. Windows 11 Unscheduled install

Windows 11 Unscheduled install: Dear Microsoft - I did not schedule a Windows 11 install, and you installed it on the most key day when I have to do remote support.... consequently as expected things dont work... I am missing a screen for starters all 3 monitors are connected to the same card! I am...
  9. slow...how do i defrag the system windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    slow...how do i defrag the system windows 10: windows 10 how do I defrag it running and skipping https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slowhow-do-i-defrag-the-system-windows-10/41fa4b8a-99da-468e-b79b-6b172f7cafd7
  10. Do I need to defrag Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Do I need to defrag Windows 10?: Hi *Smile I am new to MS Windows, came from Linux and MacOS background, do I need to defrag Windows 10? If so, what app/program should I use that is most effective in defragging? 25931