Windows 10: How do I stop game controllers from interfering with using Windows?

Discus and support How do I stop game controllers from interfering with using Windows? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a micro PC, the GPD Win 2, that runs Windows 10. I control the mouse pointer using the built-in thumbsticks using Controller Companion.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by warrenforrest, Jan 20, 2019.

1. How do I stop game controllers from interfering with using Windows?

I have a micro PC, the GPD Win 2, that runs Windows 10. I control the mouse pointer using the built-in thumbsticks using Controller Companion.

Previously, this worked great except for UWP apps, which for some reason intercept the thumbsticks and misinterpret the mouse movements and clicks and make UWP apps unusable. There didn't seem to be any way to stop this, so I just stopped using any UWP apps and stopped using Edge.

However, the latest update to Windows now also blocks the thumbstick mouse control from being usable in the Start menu, the task pop-ups, the notification centre, settings, etc...

This mandatory interception of game controllers by Windows isn't "support", it is a serious and (apparently with each new Windows update) growing bug. I need to disable this unwanted, useless, and poorly thought out "feature" so that I can use my Windows PC properly again.

(Now I wait patiently for some random Microsoft "support" person to mindlessly skim this post for keywords and respond with an unrelated, useless, and patronizing link to some explanation that will do nothing to solve this issue)

:)

warrenforrest, Jan 20, 2019

2. Game controller ID settings

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the update. I understand your concern.

I would suggest you to look for the Devices settings in Control Panel and check if the game controllers are listed. If so, refer to the following steps to alter the settings and check if these are helpful in resolving your issue.

a. Right click on one of your game controllers and click Game Controller Settings. Note where in the list it is. If it is not at the top proceed to the next step.

b. Right click and remove all your other controllers (not the 360/gamepad) and let them reinstall automatically.

c. Once complete right click and check the list again and see if the 360 controller/gamepad is at the top. If so, give the game another try and see if it detects your controller.

If the issue still persists, restart your console and then try to reconnect your controller.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post back your results for further assistance.

Harkanwar Singh, Jan 20, 2019
  3. XBox one controller stopped working in games

Hi

Up until recently my XBox One controller was working fine. Last time I player for about 30 minutes with it in Destiny 2, I think it was around a month ago or so.

Today I wanted to play a games entirely on XBox One, and had plans with my wife for it, and was very disappointed when XBox One controlled did not work. I started to dig the issue and read forums. I already spent over 2 hours trying to solve this. Here are
    some details.

Symptoms:

• I connect XBox One controller with a USB cable
    • After connecting it takes it 2-5 seconds to initialize. After that it works for 1 second, and then it stops working.
    • It always works in calibration program ("Set up USB game controllers")
    • Once it opened Game bar and worked there, but not in the game
    • In Little Nightmares if I click the XBox button (main one) the game screen slightly flashes brighter, but game won't switch to controller mode and no other buttons work
    • XBox Accessories app only recognizes it after I reboot my PC. The rest of the time it tell me that I need to connect the controller.

Steps tried:

• I tried about 5 different micro USB cables
    • I checked drivers in Device manager - they are up to date
    • I checked firmware verison XBox Accesories app tell me it is up to date
    • I tried it with other games, lik Ark, Destiny
    • I tried killing some overlay services, after killing Game bar it worked for a few seconds but then stopped working again

Please, help me. This issue totally ruined my evening.

Maybe I'm oldschool, but I'm used to such things like GAMEPADS - WORKING 24\7.

[Moved from: Windows/ Gaming on Windows 10]

MichaelDavydov, Jan 20, 2019
  4. How do I stop game controllers from interfering with using Windows?

Sidewinder Game Controller Software 4.0

Hi Willard,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to download Sidewinder Game Controller Software 4.0

• Disconnect the game controller from your computer's universal serial bus (USB) port.
    • Insert the Microsoft Sidewinder compact disc into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Hold down the SHIFT key to prevent installation from automatically starting.
    • On your desktop, double-click My Computer, and then browse to the following file:
      CD-ROM drive:\Setup\Setup.exe
    • Double-click Setup.exe to start the installation process.
    • Restart your computer when prompted.
    • Plug the SideWinder game controller into your computer's USB port, and then allow Microsoft Windows to detect and install it.

Install the software update if the controller is the Sidewinder Game Controller Software 4.0
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

How do I stop game controllers from interfering with using Windows?

1. How do I stop game controllers from interfering with using Windows? - Similar Threads - stop game controllers

2. HOW DO I STOP CLOUDFLARE FROM INTERFERING WITH MY CHOICES !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW DO I STOP CLOUDFLARE FROM INTERFERING WITH MY CHOICES !: I WANT TO REMOVE OR DISABLE CLOUDFLARE FROM MY SETTINGS,FROM STOPPING MY CHOICES. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-cloudflare-from-interfering-with-my/506950c9-6516-4afe-b818-828797b74220
  3. HOW DO I STOP CLOUDFLARE FROM INTERFERING WITH MY CHOICES !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW DO I STOP CLOUDFLARE FROM INTERFERING WITH MY CHOICES !: I WANT TO REMOVE OR DISABLE CLOUDFLARE FROM MY SETTINGS,FROM STOPPING MY CHOICES. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-cloudflare-from-interfering-with-my/506950c9-6516-4afe-b818-828797b74220
  4. How do I stop multiple desktops from interfering with one another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop multiple desktops from interfering with one another?: I have multiple desktops open on my computer, when I open up an image on lets say Desktop #1, it automatically snaps to another desktop Desktop#2 that already has other images open. How do I stop this from happening and how do I keep my desktops separate so one does not...
  5. How do I stop multiple desktops from interfering with one another?

How do I stop multiple desktops from interfering with one another?: I have multiple desktops open on my computer, when I open up an image on lets say Desktop #1, it automatically snaps to another desktop Desktop#2 that already has other images open. How do I stop this from happening and how do I keep my desktops separate so one does not...
  6. How do I stop Xbox controller inputs from controlling Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop Xbox controller inputs from controlling Windows 10?: !Please read this entire post before responding!I've seen this question posted many times as I have been searching for a solution for almost 2 YEARS now. When an Xbox controller is connected any type, moving the sticks and pressing the face buttons will manipulate windows -...
  7. How do I stop Xbox controller inputs from controlling Windows 10?

How do I stop Xbox controller inputs from controlling Windows 10?: !Please read this entire post before responding!I've seen this question posted many times as I have been searching for a solution for almost 2 YEARS now. When an Xbox controller is connected any type, moving the sticks and pressing the face buttons will manipulate windows -...
  8. How do I stop Xbox controller inputs from controlling Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. How do I stop Xbox one controllers from controlling default windows apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop Xbox one controllers from controlling default windows apps?: First off I've already disabled the controller support in steam so I know its not that. So to start, because of the awful quality of the micro USB on the back of xbox controllers it often disconnects when I'm playing. The problem comes in when I go back to my desktop after...
  10. How do I stop Windows from using a partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I stop Windows from using a partition?: Hello everyone, Here is a picture of my current partition setup: [img] I recently had a different version of Windows on the second Partition. After installing Windows 10 to the last partition, everything on the second partition was deleted. Now the second partition...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop a controller interfering with a game

2. keep controller from interfering with windows