Windows 10: How do I stop icons from appearing and flashing in the taskbar?

Discus and support How do I stop icons from appearing and flashing in the taskbar? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a chatting application that I always keep running in a separate desktop. Every time I receive a message, the app icon appears and flashes. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JAEDN, Dec 17, 2019.

1. JAEDN Win User

How do I stop icons from appearing and flashing in the taskbar?

I have a chatting application that I always keep running in a separate desktop. Every time I receive a message, the app icon appears and flashes. This annoys me, as I want to stay focused on what I am doing without constantly seeing flashing icons. Do not tell me to close the program, or to find some notification setting, as it does not work. I only want to know how to stop the application icon from appearing and flashing orange on my taskbar.

:)

JAEDN, Dec 17, 2019
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Dec 17, 2019
  3. VinceB Win User
    Desktop Icons and Taskbar Icons are Flashing, Continously

Hi:

I am experiencing blinking/flashing of several icons that are located on my Win10-64 Pro desktop PC's screen, and several icons for programs and for File Manager, that are pinned to within the taskbar. The PC is a DELL XPS 8700 desktop. I think my PC has Windows 10 version 1803 installed on 5/19/2018, and am getting updates automatically from Microsoft.

Observations:

When booting the PC, after the login screen, it is taking an unusual amount of time to load the "image" part of the desktop icons; sometimes, the filenames' text appear first and quickly, and then a delay occurs before the icon images are "painted" onto the monitor's screen. I also noticed that while having File Manager opened, the same file names blink in the directory structure pane, at the far left.
    I have allowed the PC to run overnight, and, upon returning and making use of browser for a period of approximately ten minutes, Windows crashes: the flashing taskbar icons disappear and are replaced with blank, box outlines; there is no response when clicking on a desktop icon or on a pinned taskbar's blank box; this happened several times; I had to reboot PC to regain control of taskbar and desktop icons.

What I have tried thus far and results:

1. I ran the inbuilt DELL diagnostics, and all hardware passed the "thorough" tests.
    2. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: Windows 10 - How to Fix Screen Flashing and Flickering Issue - YouTube, and by using msconfig, to locate and uncheck the boxes for two services: (1) WindowsErrorReporting and (2) ProblemsReportandSolutions.
    I also uninstalled iCloud, which was suggested in that same YouTube video. But the flashing continues. This was done during Windows normal mode (while icons were blinking).
    I then performed these same steps while in Windows Safe Mode with Networking​; same results: flashing continues. (I struggle each time I atempt to find Windows Safe Mode booting.)

So, it does not appear that the (1) and (2) services nor iCloud are the cause of this problem.

3. I followed instructions given in this YouTube video: Disable Flashing Taskbar buttons or icons on Windows 10 taskbar - YouTube, and using regedit to locate (1) ForegroundFlashCount (set at 7h) and (2) ForegroundLockTimeout (set at 30d40h) and reset each of those to 0 (zero). The result of doing that is no improvement/change in the flashing icons. Have since reset these two services to 7h and 30d40h.

So, it appears that hacking those REG DWORDs has not helped me.

4. I also used Windows Restore to go back to 4 OCT 2018. That has not helped, either.
    5. While running Windows in Normal Mode, I have stopped the Windows Search service using Administrator Tools>Services, but did not help. Have restarted the Windows Search service.
    6. At some point along the line, I ran System File Check routine; found no errors. Ran DMIS(?);found no problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

TNX.

VinceB, Dec 17, 2019
  4. Mark Ole Win User

Taskbar icons

Hi,

To address your concern, follow the steps below on how to show hidden icons on the taskbar.

• Open Settings, and click on the Personalization
      icon.
    • Click on Taskbar on the left side, and click on the
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar
      link under the Notification area section on the right.
    • Turn on Always show all icons in the notification area at the top

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I stop icons from appearing and flashing in the taskbar? - Similar Threads - stop icons appearing

2. How do I stop PowerShell from running at start-up appearing on my taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop PowerShell from running at start-up appearing on my taskbar: I have tried every posted solution on Google, Microsoft Help, and Tech sites without results. Just over the past few weeks, every time I start-up my computer and sign in I see the PowerShell App go on and off in my taskbar. Does anyone have any idea I haven't already tried-...
  3. How do I stop PowerShell from running at start-up appearing on my taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop PowerShell from running at start-up appearing on my taskbar: I have tried every posted solution on Google, Microsoft Help, and Tech sites without results. Just over the past few weeks, every time I start-up my computer and sign in I see the PowerShell App go on and off in my taskbar. Does anyone have any idea I haven't already tried-...
  4. How do I stop these Taskbar popups from appearing every time I hover over an icon?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I stop these Taskbar popups from appearing every time I hover over an icon?: [ATTACH] These popups have really been starting to get on my nerves, especially these super long ones when I'm on Google Chrome. How can I disable them?...
  5. How do i stop these from appearing?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i stop these from appearing?: "Video tools" "Shortcut tools" "Application tools" [ATTACH] 167739
  6. Stop taskbar icons from flashing when there's been an alert

Stop taskbar icons from flashing when there's been an alert: When a program has an alert of some sort and it isn't in the foreground, the corresponding taskbar icon flashes orange a few times, then glows solid orange. It's useful to have it glow solid orange. But how to disable the flashing? Is it possible to prevent it from...
  7. How Do I Disable The Notification Icon From The Taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Do I Disable The Notification Icon From The Taskbar?: Hello, I have a pretty quick and simple question. How do I disable the icon in the green box in the image below? [img] (I'm sure there is a simple tutorial on TenForums made by Shawn, but I cannot find it. Can someone please link me to it?) Thanks so much! 154612
  8. Taskbar icon flashing

Taskbar icon flashing: When you start a program in Windows, the icon on the taskbar flashes Orange, presumably to alert you that it's open (as though you did not know already that XD). I want it to not do that. It is incredibly distracting, and not very user-friendly trying to work and iTunes or...
  9. Taskbar icons flashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taskbar icons flashing: Hi everyone, I have a problem I hope you can help me to solve it. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, go to any folder which contains a .avi video file, the taskbar icons will start flashing or blinking non stop. As soon as I close the Explorer, the blinking stops. Please help!...
  10. No taskbar, no icons appearing

in Windows 10 Support
    No taskbar, no icons appearing: I can't get into the settings to factory reset my computer. I use windows buttom + i. It never loads. I already tried going into powershell and copy and pasting what's normally pasted into there. It never finishes loading up the command so I just close it after. Please Help...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop shortcuts appearing in taskbar

2. onedrive and icon taskbar blink