Windows 10: How do I stop my WSL2 virtual machine starting automatically?

Discus and support How do I stop my WSL2 virtual machine starting automatically? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I recently set up WSL2 because I needed to run an instance of Ubuntu for a particular purpose. The trouble is that it now starts up automatically when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by ricecrispies, Oct 2, 2020.

1. How do I stop my WSL2 virtual machine starting automatically?

I recently set up WSL2 because I needed to run an instance of Ubuntu for a particular purpose. The trouble is that it now starts up automatically when Windows starts and takes up memory (vmmem in the Task Manager) even though I will only very rarely be likely to need to use it in the future.

I have also recently been getting frequent "Internal power error" BSODs and system freezes without BSODs after a minute or two when I wake my laptop from sleep or hibernate and I suspect that this may be connected. I have just enlarged the hibernate file to 100% to see if that will fix the problem, but I would rather not have an unnecessary process taking up large amounts of memory in the first place, particularly as memory management is one area where WSL2 still has a lot of room for improvement.

I know that I can enter a command at the command prompt to shut my virtual machine down, but is there a way to stop it starting up in the first place until I actually need to use it?

I'm using Windows version 2004.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I have found the answer.

To activate or deactivate WSL, open a PowerShell window as administrator and use one of these two commands:

Code:
    Code:
    :)

ricecrispies, Oct 2, 2020

2. How do I stop my WSL2 virtual machine starting automatically?

I recently set up WSL2 because I needed to run an instance of Ubuntu for a particular purpose. The trouble is that it now starts up automatically when Windows starts and takes up memory (vmmem in the Task Manager) even though I will only very rarely be likely to need to use it in the future.

I have also recently been getting frequent "Internal power error" BSODs and system freezes without BSODs after a minute or two when I wake my laptop from sleep or hibernate and I suspect that this may be connected. I have just enlarged the hibernate file to 100% to see if that will fix the problem, but I would rather not have an unnecessary process taking up large amounts of memory in the first place, particularly as memory management is one area where WSL2 still has a lot of room for improvement.

I know that I can enter a command at the command prompt to shut my virtual machine down, but is there a way to stop it starting up in the first place until I actually need to use it?

I'm using Windows version 2004.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I have found the answer.

To activate or deactivate WSL, open a PowerShell window as administrator and use one of these two commands:

Code:
    Code:

ricecrispies, Oct 2, 2020
  3. WSL2 for windows

I have failed into installing WSL for Windows. I have read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10 how to do it, and at step 4:

1. Download the latest package:
      [COLOR=var(--text)][COLOR=var(--info-dark)] Note[/COLOR]
      If you're using an ARM64 machine, please download the ARM64 package instead. If you're not sure what kind of machine you have, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and enter: systeminfo | find "System Type".
      [/COLOR]
    2. Run the update package downloaded in the previous step. (Double-click to run - you will be prompted for elevated permissions, select ‘yes’ to approve this installation.)

I encountered:

How do I stop my WSL2 virtual machine starting automatically? [​IMG]

and

What I did wrong ? I have the following W10 version:

Another question: am I in the the right forum ?

mesajflaviu, Oct 2, 2020
  4. How do I stop my WSL2 virtual machine starting automatically?

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

How do I stop my WSL2 virtual machine starting automatically?

1. How do I stop my WSL2 virtual machine starting automatically? - Similar Threads - stop WSL2 virtual

2. How do I enable Virtual Machine Platoform?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I enable Virtual Machine Platoform?: I'm trying to use the Windows subsystem for Android on my Surface Go 3, the virtualisation seems to be enabled from the taskbar but when trying to start the Windows subsystem for Android it says "Make sure that virtualisation is enabled in the BIOS and that the Virtual...
  3. Undervolting with hypervisor / virtual machine for WSL2

Undervolting with hypervisor / virtual machine for WSL2: Hi MS community,I'd like to undervolt my CPU while running CFD on a laptop. The reduction in core temperatures achievable with an undervolt improves performance by limiting or eliminating throttling. I have found that Windows 11 appears to restrict the ability of software...
  4. Undervolting with hypervisor / virtual machine for WSL2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undervolting with hypervisor / virtual machine for WSL2: Hi MS community,I'd like to undervolt my CPU while running CFD on a laptop. The reduction in core temperatures achievable with an undervolt improves performance by limiting or eliminating throttling. I have found that Windows 11 appears to restrict the ability of software...
  5. How do I disable my virtual machine platform?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable my virtual machine platform?: I am attempting to fully disable my virtual machine platform for a job. I have unchecked all proper boxes in the windows features window and have restarted the machine to apply the changes. However, even as it says it did so successfully, the virtual machine is still enabled....
  6. How do I disable my virtual machine platform?

How do I disable my virtual machine platform?: I am attempting to fully disable my virtual machine platform for a job. I have unchecked all proper boxes in the windows features window and have restarted the machine to apply the changes. However, even as it says it did so successfully, the virtual machine is still enabled....
  7. Problem "Failed to start the virtual machine"

Problem "Failed to start the virtual machine": I can't run Kali linux on my think book 14+ and windows 11. I'm using Vmware 16 pro. Please give a solutuion.System info:OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name SHOMIT...
  8. BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when trying enable Virtual Machine Platform for WSL2: I was following this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10 to try and install wsl2 for the first time on my laptop. The first step ran successfully, but when I try to restart after running: dism.exe /online /enable-feature...
  9. WSL2 displaying error even though virtualization and virtual machine platform are enabled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL2 displaying error even though virtualization and virtual machine platform are enabled: Please enable the Virtual Machine Platform Windows feature and ensure virtualization is enabled in the BIOS. For information please visit https://aka.ms/wsl2-install That is what it says in my WSL Ubuntu shell. I have Ryzen 2700X and have enabled SVM in bios. Virtual...
  10. how do i stop the start menu from automatically expanding?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i stop the start menu from automatically expanding?: how do I stop the start menu from automatically expanding? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-the-start-menu-from-automatically/00396709-c79b-4848-a9a3-c71a138866f7