Windows 10: How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching?

Discus and support How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; On both my Windows 8.1 PC and my windows 10 (Home, 64-bit, Version 1803) Laptop I have three user accounts. The following problem affects both... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by wiganken, Dec 22, 2018.

1. wiganken Win User

How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching?

On both my Windows 8.1 PC and my windows 10 (Home, 64-bit, Version 1803) Laptop I have three user accounts. The following problem affects both machines. Two of the accounts have passwords but the other account is for visitors and is named ‘Visitor’. I would like this ‘Visitor’ not to have a password since it is for visitor’s use only and it is a ‘Standard’ user account with no Administrator privileges. The problem is that Windows remembers the last user and if that user was ‘Visitor’, because it has no password, the same profile automatically launches when Windows starts again. This does not happen if the last user was one of the other two password protected accounts. I should add that the Windows 8.1 ‘Guest’ account behaves the same way and adding a password is not possible. The ability to add a password is why I created the ‘Visitor’ account and adding a simple password, e.g. abc, to the account gives me what I want which is to be presented with the Log-in screen showing all three users without auto launching any of them. I don’t mind the screen showing the last user as long as I can see the other two in order to choose.

Question – After a non-password user has been using the PC/Laptop how do I stop this (‘Visitor’ or ‘Guest’) account from auto launching at next start-up?

I have ticked the “user must enter a username and password to use this computer” box but this has not helped. Any suggestions please?

:)

wiganken, Dec 22, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup  

Hello sciencegal, How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching? :)

You can have Windows automatically sign in to a local account or Microsoft account. It doesn't matter.

Is you account listed more than once in netplwiz? Double check to make sure that you have selected the correct account in step 3 Option 1.

The password is case sensitive, so be sure to enter it exactly for it to work properly.

Brink, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Dec 22, 2018
  4. How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching?

user account without password on Win10?

I have a computer that was Win7 and upgraded to Win10. I want to set up two accounts: one, an administrator account, which is password protected; and two, a user (non-admin) account with is not password protected. I also want the ability to select which
    account to log into at boot time. I had Win7 set up this way. However, it seems that if I set up (and log into) the user account, from then on, it just automatically boots into the user account, without a way to boot into the admin account instead. If I add
    a password to the user account, then I can select which account to log into at boot time.

(Here is why I want to do this: this computer is used at a Children's Home (orphanage), and I want all the kids to be able to log into a non-admin account without a password, but have a password protected admin account for installing software and such. All
    our Win7 computers work fine like this.)

Any suggestions?

DaleBlankenshipZA, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching?

1. How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching? - Similar Threads - stop Non Password

2. How do I stop 'Sticky Notes' from automatically launching on Startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop 'Sticky Notes' from automatically launching on Startup?: I'm talking about the official Microsoft Sticky Notes app from the Microsoft Store.The reason I want to stop the 'Sticky Notes' app from instantly opening upon turning on my PC to enter my Desktop is because sometimes the 4 actual Sticky Notes that I have to the far right...
  3. How do I stop 'Sticky Notes' from automatically launching on Startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop 'Sticky Notes' from automatically launching on Startup?: I'm talking about the official Microsoft Sticky Notes app from the Microsoft Store.The reason I want to stop the 'Sticky Notes' app from instantly opening upon turning on my PC to enter my Desktop is because sometimes the 4 actual Sticky Notes that I have to the far right...
  4. Game will not launch in admin account but will launch in local user account. How do I fix...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game will not launch in admin account but will launch in local user account. How do I fix...: I am not able to launch my EA game from my standard adminstrator account. I did a lot of trouble shooting through EA themselves thinking it is a app problem. One of the things I tried was to create a new local user on the PC with no microsoft account attached and attempted to...
  5. Game will not launch in admin account but will launch in local user account. How do I fix...

Game will not launch in admin account but will launch in local user account. How do I fix...: I am not able to launch my EA game from my standard adminstrator account. I did a lot of trouble shooting through EA themselves thinking it is a app problem. One of the things I tried was to create a new local user on the PC with no microsoft account attached and attempted to...
  6. how do i set my user account password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i set my user account password: how do i reset my user account password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-my-user-account-password/35e5256c-81c6-45d5-b32d-2c5c218b9a22
  7. how do i set my user account password

how do i set my user account password: how do i reset my user account password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-my-user-account-password/35e5256c-81c6-45d5-b32d-2c5c218b9a22
  8. How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I stop Non-Password User accounts automatically launching?: On both my Windows 8.1 PC and my windows 10 (Home, 64-bit, Version 1803) Laptop I have three user accounts. The following problem affects both machines. Two of the accounts have passwords but the other account is for visitors and is named ‘Visitor’. I would like this...
  9. launching app on non admin account without entering admin password

launching app on non admin account without entering admin password: Hello, I have at startup programs which require to enter administrator password for each, (i am on non admin account), i want to start them without entering administrator password everytime. i tried this solution from latest post using task sheduler How to allow a user to...
  10. How do I change a local user account password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I change a local user account password?: I don't know why this is so difficult, Win 10 really screwed things up coming from Seven. Seems they changed a lot of things just for the sake of changing them. I shouldn't have to use a search engine or a forum to answer this question. I am logged in under the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. non-password computer accounts