Windows 10: How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory?

Discus and support How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I had a trial of avast cleanup and it had the option to put programs that ran in the background to 'sleep' preventing them from using my ram when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/gothpugs, Jul 31, 2020.

1. How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory?

So I had a trial of avast cleanup and it had the option to put programs that ran in the background to 'sleep' preventing them from using my ram when I wasn't using them

I have a surface pro 3 , running windows 10 pro, and it is purely for photoshop

it's got 4gb ram and an i5 processor , but photoshop is greedy software

Is there some way I can block non essential background programs myself rather than relying on a (paid for subscription) third party app\software?

i have already disabled all the 'startup' programs that i can through task manage

submitted by /u/gothpugs
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/gothpugs, Jul 31, 2020

2. How to stop Edge from running as the startup program?

You can disable startup programs from Task Manager.

Add, Delete, Enable, or Disable Startup Items in Windows 10

I think Microsoft Edge running at background is what you want to stop.

On Windows 10, apps you install have been designed to run in the background to download data, show toast notifications, and fetch information to display up-to-date updates in their Live tiles in the Start menu.

However, having many apps running in the background can eat up valuable resources and waste power. Here’s how to prevent them from doing so.

1. Open the Settings app by pressing the Windows Key + I shortcut keys.

2. Select Privacy, then Background apps on the left sidebar.

3. On the "Background apps" page use one of the two options:

• Turn off the Let apps run in the background toggle switch to disable all apps acquired from the Store.
    • Turn off the toggle switches for the specific apps you don't want to run in the background.

How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory? 0TOl3Sq.jpg

Once you complete these steps, the Windows 10 apps you configured will no longer run in the background.

FreeBooter, Jul 31, 2020
  3. GPU not idling when program running in background

Whenever there is a program running in background like utorrent, the clock is stuck at 993mhz and the memory at 1500mhz..when I turn it off, the clocks are back to normal...need a fix ..drivers are the latest whql (not 337.5)..clock is measured from zotac firestorm..(use it for fan curve also..works flawlessly)..any suggestions will be appreciated..

ELiTRiGG3R, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Davidk03 Win User

How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory?

Program running a background process?

I'm running Corel Video Studio 2018, and it's updates function shows characteristics of a background process:

- the program has an auto check daily plus a manual option for updates

- manually checked, presented with an option of downloading an update and Ok'd, evidence of any activity vanishes from the program workspace, yet the connected internet modem activity light begins running hot as the download happens

- it's repeatable over several up-date cycles

The evidence seems to suggest a background activity - whilst the program/PC is free to use for other things. Several software packages do this.

However, a check in task manager/processes, show all, does not display any info of a related background process for any Corel or Video Studio program. If a background process is being used by the software, MUST it be listed in the task manager/processes
    list?

Platform is windows 7 home sp1 64bit plus the important patches.

Davidk03, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory?

1. How do I stop programs running in the background and using my memory? - Similar Threads - stop programs running

2. Drivers and all kinds of ms programs constantly running in background using my ram/memory...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drivers and all kinds of ms programs constantly running in background using my ram/memory...: C:\windows\system32\ADVAPI32.dllC:\windows\system32\bcryptPrimitives.dllC:\windows\system32\cfmgr32.dllC:\windows\system32\clbcatq.dllC:\windows\system32\combase.dllC:\windows\system32\CRYPTBASE.dllC:\windows\system32\ntdll.dllC:\windows\system32\DEVOBJ.dllC:\windows\system32\...
  3. Drivers and all kinds of ms programs constantly running in background using my ram/memory...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drivers and all kinds of ms programs constantly running in background using my ram/memory...: C:\windows\system32\ADVAPI32.dllC:\windows\system32\bcryptPrimitives.dllC:\windows\system32\cfmgr32.dllC:\windows\system32\clbcatq.dllC:\windows\system32\combase.dllC:\windows\system32\CRYPTBASE.dllC:\windows\system32\ntdll.dllC:\windows\system32\DEVOBJ.dllC:\windows\system32\...
  4. Powershell running in the background and using a LOT of memory. How to fix??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Powershell running in the background and using a LOT of memory. How to fix??: Hi, I am running Windows 10 and I've noticed my PC has gotten slower lately. I've deleted a few programs but noticed that powershell is taking around 2000-3000 MB. How can I fix it?...
  5. Powershell running in the background and using a LOT of memory. How to fix??

Powershell running in the background and using a LOT of memory. How to fix??: Hi, I am running Windows 10 and I've noticed my PC has gotten slower lately. I've deleted a few programs but noticed that powershell is taking around 2000-3000 MB. How can I fix it?...
  6. Powershell running in the background and using a LOT of memory. How to fix??

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. how to run a program in background, hidden

how to run a program in background, hidden: Hi all, I have an issue struggling me on my laptop. It seems I can't disable sleep/hibernation in any way. No chances, tried lots of things. Now I would like to try launching a small something, hidden (not to disturb or bother everything I'm doing), in background. Someone...
  8. how to run a program in background, hidden

in Windows 10 Support
    how to run a program in background, hidden: Hi all, I have an issue struggling me on my laptop. It seems I can't disable sleep/hibernation in any way. No chances, tried lots of things. Now I would like to try launching a small something, hidden (not to disturb or bother everything I'm doing), in background. Someone...
  9. How do I get programs to use virtual memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get programs to use virtual memory: I'm using Windows 10 home with 8GB of RAM, but it's clear that 8GB isn't enough for Windows. When no programs (besides task manager) are open, my PC is constantly using 30-40% of my ram which is ridiculous... I am constantly at a high RAM usage and I can barely have anything...
  10. background programs using memory & how stop w/o problems

background programs using memory & how stop w/o problems: Running background programs use up memory so can't use. am 81 & not computer knowledgeable. Ran autoruns now what do? Someday you'll be old & won't have a clue. Hopefully you won't....