Windows 10: How do I stop sub folders being automatically added to my Windows 10 file history back up list?

Discus and support How do I stop sub folders being automatically added to my Windows 10 file history back up list? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; On the backup options page (Settings>Update & Security>Backup>More Options), there is a list of folders to include when performing a backup. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Frangipanis, Oct 12, 2019.

1. How do I stop sub folders being automatically added to my Windows 10 file history back up list?

On the backup options page (Settings>Update & Security>Backup>More Options), there is a list of folders to include when performing a backup. For example, Pictures C:\Users\me backups all the folders in my pictures folder. This works well.

However, all the new sub-folders in my picture folder are automatically added to the list. I've already set the backup to save my pictures folder and all its sub folders so I don't need all my new sub folders on the list.

To make matters worse, after I go through and remove all the sub folders, they are then automatically added to the exclude list so then I have to go through and remove all of them from my exclude list.

How do I stop sub folders being automatically added to my Windows 10 file history back up list?

I have tried Windows File History Backup internet searches but the info was so basic, backup and restore was one topic. In my opinion they are two activities performed at different times and should be separate topics.

I tried the support chat where I read the last question was answered in a few seconds but gave up waiting after 10 minutes.

I requested a customer support call back but the lady wanted to talk about doing a windows update. It seemed like we were about to enter into an hour long process of eliminating every windows problem to correct my "concern".

:)

Frangipanis, Oct 12, 2019

2. file history is not backing up select sub-folders in Windows 10

Well, since 10/2/2016 this computer has gone through a huge number of changes; Microsoft Update, PC Reset, Op System repair, Op System rebuild....

I added a critical sub-folder to the 'Back up these folders' list and it started to backup that folder and it's sub-folders.

Due to the fact that I did not have a backup of a given file when I needed it, I learned how to use FileTables in SQL Server Express and have moved all of my source file into the Share and learned how to schedule a daily backup of the databases.

Therefore, I cannot give you a screen shot of the Parent folder in the 'Back up these folders' list because it no longer is part of the File History process.

LeeCritchlow, Oct 12, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 12, 2019
  4. How do I stop sub folders being automatically added to my Windows 10 file history back up list?

How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Oct 12, 2019
Thema:

How do I stop sub folders being automatically added to my Windows 10 file history back up list?

1. How do I stop sub folders being automatically added to my Windows 10 file history back up list? - Similar Threads - stop sub folders

2. adding WSL home folder to file history to be backed up to NAS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    adding WSL home folder to file history to be backed up to NAS: I am using File History not Backup to back up my personal folders to my NAS. I would like to add my home folder of my WSL to the list of files to be backed up.Any suggestions?...
  3. adding WSL home folder to file history to be backed up to NAS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    adding WSL home folder to file history to be backed up to NAS: I am using File History not Backup to back up my personal folders to my NAS. I would like to add my home folder of my WSL to the list of files to be backed up.Any suggestions?...
  4. How do I stop my Pictures & Documents folders being backed up on OneDrive in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop my Pictures & Documents folders being backed up on OneDrive in Windows 11?: How do I stop my Pictures, Documents & Desktop folders/files from being backed up on OneDrive in Windows 11?I stop it in the settings, but it seems to turn on again on its' own accord. I have tried unlinking & even quitting OneDrive, but it still doesn't stop it. As soon as I...
  5. File History Back Up Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Back Up Stopped Working: My File History Back up has stopped working. I have disconnected and reconnected my external back up drive and restarted my computer. When I ask it to do a back up NOW it says it's doing it but nothing happens and it then says "Your data is not yet back up". How do I get...
  6. File history error when adding a folder to backup list.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history error when adding a folder to backup list.: I setup file history on a friends PC today and it appears to be working with the default backup list. His PC has a second hard drive in it that contains about 200 GB of photos, when I try and add this folder to the backup list I get an error 0x80070032. Just to test I tried...
  7. I turned File History on, but no files are being backed up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I turned File History on, but no files are being backed up: I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, so I'm brand new to Windows 10. Two days ago, I turned on File History. I set "Back up my files" to "Every 30 minutes" and "Keep my backups" to "Forever." I designated a shared folder on a NAS for the backups. After I turned...
  8. Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up: I have been using File History Backup ever since Windows10 was introduced. I just checked the last backup, and see it was Jan 1, 2018 - seams to have stopped working as of then, and don't know how to get it going again. I have it set to back up Daily and to keep History for 1...
  9. Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically: I've had Windows 10 file history enabled since i got Windows 10 on release. It backs up every hour and has been working fine for over a year. A few days ago i went to restore a file and noticed that the file was not in the backup. I checked my backup, and noticed that...
  10. How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change list of folders/files in File History back utility: I was trying the File History backup utility and of course it defaulted to a preset of folders/files as I did not "Remove" any. Actually what I really want to is only backup a single folder that I warehouse selected data in (C\special docs) What I need to do is remove all the...