Windows 10: How do I stop the desktop from moving icons on their own?

Discus and support How do I stop the desktop from moving icons on their own? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I paste something onto the desktop, the icons all move by one square to somewhere and I can't figure out how to stop this. I tried enabled and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jiehfeng, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Jiehfeng Win User

How do I stop the desktop from moving icons on their own?

Whenever I paste something onto the desktop, the icons all move by one square to somewhere and I can't figure out how to stop this. I tried enabled and disabling auto arrange but it doesn't fix the issue, align to grid is enabled.

I just want the pasted file to go to the last area like normal. This is what happens for me:

https://i.imgur.com/1Iq6Yx6.mp4

Please help, thanks in advance.

:)

Jiehfeng, Jan 14, 2021
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink How do I stop the desktop from moving icons on their own? ;)

qubit, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Freely moving desktop icons in windows 10

Hi,

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Right click on the blank space on desktop.
    • Click on View.
    • Uncheck Align icons to grid.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us if you need any other assistance.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Rhina Vib Win User

Move Icon to Desktop

Hi Patricia,

For us to better assist you with this concern, we need to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you are trying to move the Excel icon to your desktop?
    • Were there any changes made prior to this issue?

You can create an Excel desktop shortcut on your Windows 10 computer by referring to the steps provided in the article on this link.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I stop the desktop from moving icons on their own? - Similar Threads - stop desktop moving

2. How to stop desktop icons moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop desktop icons moving: Hi there,I have an issue don't we all where my desktop icons continuously, after gaming or system restarts etc, move to the my 2nd display and have changed order etc.I have seen many threads where people have similar issues but not this particular issue.I am running a dual...
  3. How to stop desktop icons moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop desktop icons moving: Hi there,I have an issue don't we all where my desktop icons continuously, after gaming or system restarts etc, move to the my 2nd display and have changed order etc.I have seen many threads where people have similar issues but not this particular issue.I am running a dual...
  4. How to Stop Moving Desktop Icons Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Stop Moving Desktop Icons Windows 11: My desktop icons are constantly rearranging on me. It is super frustrating. I've already tried right clicking on desktop - view - unchecking "auto arrange icons" - it still doesn't work it was already unchecked. Every time I add a new icon to desktop it rearranges them all!...
  5. How to Stop Moving Desktop Icons Windows 11

How to Stop Moving Desktop Icons Windows 11: My desktop icons are constantly rearranging on me. It is super frustrating. I've already tried right clicking on desktop - view - unchecking "auto arrange icons" - it still doesn't work it was already unchecked. Every time I add a new icon to desktop it rearranges them all!...
  6. How to prevent the desktop icons from moving

How to prevent the desktop icons from moving: Hello- Windows 11 Lenovo 14 inch laptop Many people have asked this question and are getting the wrong answer. Desktop Icons scatter when moving laptop to different monitor. The solutions that have been offered are not a fix. The instruction to right-click the blank spot on...
  7. How to prevent the desktop icons from moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent the desktop icons from moving: Hello- Windows 11 Lenovo 14 inch laptop Many people have asked this question and are getting the wrong answer. Desktop Icons scatter when moving laptop to different monitor. The solutions that have been offered are not a fix. The instruction to right-click the blank spot on...
  8. how do i bet my desktop icons to stop moving?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do i bet my desktop icons to stop moving?: i recently set up my third monitor and now every boot up my icons move. i rearrange them check that the auto arrange and keep to grid is uncheck and so is let themes move icons. so how can i get them to stop moving. never had this issue when i ran just two monitors submitted...
  9. How do I move an icon from the taskbar tpo the desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I move an icon from the taskbar tpo the desktop?: How do I move an icon from the taskbar to the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-an-icon-from-the-taskbar-tpo-the/bf947d66-823c-4303-900d-9e640c9c532d
  10. how do I move an app icon to the desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I move an app icon to the desktop: How do I move an app icon to the desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-an-app-icon-to-the-desktop/21148c2a-8086-46a1-b9d6-505c6aa62616