Windows 10: How do I stop Win10 re-opening programs after Updates

Discus and support How do I stop Win10 re-opening programs after Updates in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I might still have 20 programs open at work when I go home. I come back in the morning and my pc has restarted due to Windows Updates. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mejobloggs, Jun 14, 2017.

1. How do I stop Win10 re-opening programs after Updates

I might still have 20 programs open at work when I go home.

I come back in the morning and my pc has restarted due to Windows Updates.

When I login, Windows then tries to automatically re-open all of those 20 programs after login.

Can I stop that from happening? It's very frustrating. I have to sit there for a few minutes as it tries to open various different programs but never quite successfully. E.g it'll open 5 instances of Visual Studio because I had 5 open yesterday, but it'll fail to load the project for each of them, so I'm just greeted with 5 blank Visual Studios.

Similar issues with Sql Server Management Studio. I might have a few of those open (1 for each server I connect to), but when Windows 10 tries to automatically open them, they're all presented with login boxes. So I have to click through another 5 login screens just to close each instance.

How can I get my pc just to start 'fresh' after an update? I don't want Windows 10 trying to be smart and opening programs for me

:)

mejobloggs, Jun 14, 2017

2. How do I stop the Win10 "Photos" App from opening when I view a single image?

Hi Quinn,

I'm an engineer on the Photos app team. This is a bug, and we are working on a fix.

-Adam

Adam A (Windows), Jun 14, 2017
  3. How do I stop the Win10 "Photos" App from opening when I view a single image?

How do I remove this app? I just want to get rid of it. It keeps opening on me without my wanting it. I hate this app. If I can't get rid of it I'm moving to Mac.

MarkDressman, Jun 14, 2017
  4. How do I stop Win10 re-opening programs after Updates

Do not leave 20 programs open and leave from work. Turn off Windows auto update.

Josey Wales, Jun 14, 2017
  5. Thanks Josey, but that doesn't answer my question. I am already aware of those options but I'd like to know how to stop Windows 10 from automatically starting programs again after an update.

mejobloggs, Jun 14, 2017
  6. Set the time that it will restart or update while you are at work or place your PC in hibernation or sleep.

Josey Wales, Jun 14, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    spunk, Jun 14, 2017
  8. How do I stop Win10 re-opening programs after Updates

No, having it automatically restart whenever is fine, I don't mind that.

I want to know if it's possible to stop the programs automatically trying to re-open after the restart.

mejobloggs, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How do I stop Win10 re-opening programs after Updates

1. How do I stop Win10 re-opening programs after Updates - Similar Threads - stop Win10 opening

2. How do I stop having to Open programs as administrator in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop having to Open programs as administrator in Windows 10?: How do I stop having to Open programs as administrator in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-having-to-open-programs-as/ed40b840-4f5c-43b3-8a7e-fd055ddcd2e3
  3. How do I stop having to Open programs as administrator in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop having to Open programs as administrator in Windows 10?: How do I stop having to Open programs as administrator in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-having-to-open-programs-as/ed40b840-4f5c-43b3-8a7e-fd055ddcd2e3
  4. How do I stop having to Open programs as administrator in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do I stop programs being opened in monitors that are off?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop programs being opened in monitors that are off?: I have 2 monitors as well as a TV hooked up to my pc. One of my monitors I will occasionally also used or my MacBook Air. When the monitor is off or being used by another device, because it’s plugged into my pc, whatever program was opened in it last, will open in it again....
  6. Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?

Stop Windows from re-opening programs after restart?: I don't want this feature. I've never wanted it. I don't kick my power button by mistake. I have a UPS. I'm responsible enough to save what I'm working on in frequent intervals. I do not experience data loss. I'm sick of Windows opening Excel, my email and browser back up....
  7. How to STOP Win10 from opening program in the foreground?

How to STOP Win10 from opening program in the foreground?: I have found posts on how to stop this, but nothing tells me how to make this happen. My last Win10 laptop, when I: right clicked on an image in a folder > open with > graphic software, the image would open in the graphic software, but the Folder Would Stay in the...
  8. How do I stop a program from suspending?

How do I stop a program from suspending?: I am going in and out of Minecraft Windows 10 and every time i go out to look at the map of my realm, it enters a suspended state and I leave the realm, and MC takes a second to reload. Is there a way to stop this from happening? submitted by /u/CamCamDaMann [link]...
  9. Stop re-opening of apps after restart!!!

Stop re-opening of apps after restart!!!: I have a problem where every time I restart my computer, Chrome opens a new window. Either it'll open my previous tabs, or if I beat it to it, it'll open a new window. This happens about 1 minute after logging in. I know that Win10 devs, in all their glorious lack of...
  10. Re-open Programs After Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-open Programs After Restart: Example: I want this currently opened Notepad file, that I'm using right now, to re-open once I restart the computer. I'm aware of the option that you can select to re-open Windows Explorer windows, and I like that option. Yet I want another option to re-open everything else...