Windows 10: How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into...

Discus and support How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; There is a simple solution for START MENU popping up when switching users or after putting the PC/Laptop to sleep. As mentioned by many in USER... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FrankyEverest, May 8, 2020.

1. How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into...

There is a simple solution for START MENU popping up when switching users or after putting the PC/Laptop to sleep.

As mentioned by many in USER kflinch's POST my simple work around is...

• Do not use the START MENU button on lower left of the taskbar to switch user or to put your computer to sleep. Following are weird work around methods that work until Microsoft provides an easier way via a simple option in WINDOW 10.

Instead :

To put computer in SLEEP mode and avoid START MENU pop-up on waking...

• Press keyboard's left or right WINDOW key + x, and after, press u and select SLEEP or press s key again to activate the sleep mode while bypassing the START MENU. Because the START MENU is bypassed, it will not appear after waking up your computer.

To switch user and prevent START MENU popup when switching to another user...

• Depress CTRL + ALT + DELETE keys in stated sequence while keeping them pressed down. A blue screen with options will be displayed. Select SWITCH USER to change to another user and to bypass the START MENU's switch user method. In doing so, the START MENU will not pop-up after the new user logs on.

This is a weird work around for both of the above actions but those methods work for me and they should work for you too. Until MS comes up with a fix, its probably the best way to deal with the annoying START MENU popup issue when switching to another user or when waking up from sleep mode.

My PC is running:

• Microsoft Windows 10 10.0 Professional 64-bit Build 18363
    • Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909

My Laptop is running:

• Microsoft Windows 10 10.0 HOME 64-bit
    • Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909

...and both systems experience the same START MENU pop-up problems on switch user or recovery from sleep.

Hope the 2 work around methods help U out!

Regards,

Franky

:)

FrankyEverest, May 8, 2020
  2. kflinch Win User

How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into Windows?

Hi Shilohbob,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I made the change you described for tablet mode, but I do not like to use tablet mode on my laptop. I appreciate the suggestion, but this workaround does not work for me.

Regarding the link you provided for the Windows insider build, it shows a switch to hide (they also use the word "collapse") the app list in the start menu. I don't think this will help me. If the switch is turned on, I assume the Start menu will still display,
    but not show the app list, when the user logs into Windows?

By the way, I do want to see the app list when I launch the Start menu. I don't have shortcuts pinned to the taskbar for every installed app - only those I use frequently. But I do not want the Start menu to
    display automatically every time I log into Windows.

Shilohbob, thanks again for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

Warning - General rant to Microsoft below:

It's really annoying. I have been tolerating this since I upgraded to Windows 10 in July 2015 - over a year!. Every time I log into Windows the first thing I do is close the Start menu. I have to do this at least a few times a day.

Every time I manually put the laptop into sleep mode, or it goes into sleep mode due to power settings, or I reboot, or shut down and start up, when I log back in, I am presented with the Start menu. It is STUPID!

I didn't have this annoyance in Windows 7. The Start menu displayed only when I clicked on the Start button. Who in Microsoft decided the current behavior was improved behavior? I wonder if the people that designed Windows 10 actually use it everyday, throughout
    the day? The Windows 7 behavior was not broken. It did not need to be "fixed". Is anyone from Microsoft reading this?

My suggestion is to add a switch under Settings > Personalization > Start to turn on or off the automatic display of the Start menu. I would choose to to turn it off.

kflinch, May 8, 2020
  3. kflinch Win User
    How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into Windows?

Every time I log into Windows 10 the start menu automatically displays. I do not like this. All of my frequently uses apps have shortcuts in the taskbar. I do not need or like the start menu automatically displaying every time I log into Windows. I want
    to see only the desktop when I log in. Is there a setting I can change that will stop the start menu from displaying every time I log into Windows?

kflinch, May 8, 2020
  4. kflinch Win User

How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into...

Hi Mel,

You posted the same reply October 2. However you misunderstand the issue. The issue is not that the Start menu displays full screen. It doesn't. The issue is that I simply do not want the start menu
    to automatically display every time I log into Windows.

I do not know how else to say it. Every time I log into Windows the Start menu displays. I do not want to see the Start menu display every time I log into Windows. The only time I want to see the Start menu is when I click on the Start button at the lower
    left corner of the screen.

In Windows 7 the Start menu did not display every time I logged into Windows. I simply saw the desktop. That is the functionality I prefer.

kflinch, May 8, 2020
Thema:

How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into...

1. How do I stop Windows 10 Start menu from automatically displaying every time I log into... - Similar Threads - stop Start menu

2. Stop Phone Link from automatically starting every time i get a call.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Phone Link from automatically starting every time i get a call.: My phone is always set to silent, so i use the Phone Link app to keep track of when someone texts me, which stops when i close the app for when i'm doing something where i can't have sudden screen focus loss or can't be interrupted.The same thing however doesn't seem to work...
  3. Stop Phone Link from automatically starting every time i get a call.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop Phone Link from automatically starting every time i get a call.: My phone is always set to silent, so i use the Phone Link app to keep track of when someone texts me, which stops when i close the app for when i'm doing something where i can't have sudden screen focus loss or can't be interrupted.The same thing however doesn't seem to work...
  4. How do I stop File Explorer from creating a sub-folder named "Logs" every time that I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I stop File Explorer from creating a sub-folder named "Logs" every time that I...: Every time that I create a new folder, File Explorer creates a sub-folder in it named "Logs".I have to delete it every time.How do I stop it from creating this sub-folder?...
  5. How do I stop File Explorer from creating a sub-folder named "Logs" every time that I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop File Explorer from creating a sub-folder named "Logs" every time that I...: Every time that I create a new folder, File Explorer creates a sub-folder in it named "Logs".I have to delete it every time.How do I stop it from creating this sub-folder?...
  6. How do I stop File Explorer from creating a sub-folder named "Logs" every time that I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How do i stop windows credentials from automatically logging in?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i stop windows credentials from automatically logging in?: How do i stop windows credentials from automatically logging in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-windows-credentials-from/c7e0bbb1-980a-42f9-8a40-51a59ce8e144
  8. how do i stop the start menu from automatically expanding?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i stop the start menu from automatically expanding?: how do I stop the start menu from automatically expanding? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-the-start-menu-from-automatically/00396709-c79b-4848-a9a3-c71a138866f7
  9. How do I stop Bing from automatically starting itself in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I stop Bing from automatically starting itself in Windows 10: How do I stop Bing from automatically starting itself in Windows 10? Thanks in advance. 136364
  10. How do I stop Skype from starting automatically on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I stop Skype from starting automatically on windows 10?: How do I stop Skype from starting automatically on windows 10? I have gone into Settings, but no choices. I looked in Startup and it does not show up....