Windows 10: How do I Stop Windows Defender from Consuming Resources when using a Backup Program?

Discus and support How do I Stop Windows Defender from Consuming Resources when using a Backup Program? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am sick to death of my machine that has a fast SSD have all its resources gobbled up by Windows Defender each time I turn my machine on. My... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PinothyJ, Oct 23, 2021.

1. PinothyJ Win User

How do I Stop Windows Defender from Consuming Resources when using a Backup Program?

I am sick to death of my machine that has a fast SSD have all its resources gobbled up by Windows Defender each time I turn my machine on. My hypothesis is thus: When I turn my PC on my backup programs does a quick look of all the thousands of files it is designated to keep backed up on my machine to see if last modified date and time differs from the online copies.. This is a very quick process because it is simply access that last modified bit of metadata. However, judging by the activity observed in resource monitor, it appears Windows Defender follows my backup software around my PC like a

:)

PinothyJ, Oct 23, 2021
  2. pz2k Win User

Put processes that consume a lot of resource on the top of the list in Task Mananger

A main use of Task Manager is to find which program is consuming resources. Now we need to sort by CPU/sort by Disk/sort By network to find the problem. Its better if list all the huge resource consuming programs at the top of the list what ever the resource
    is so we don't need to sort in most cases.

3. Le Boule Win User
    defender won't automatically start in windows 10, cant turn on manually suggested resource in use?

Is this what you are seeing? Remove The Requested Resource is in Use Error (Removal Guide)

If so, suggest you follow the above referenced Bleeping Computer Removal Guide.

But - - -

If this is not the issue you have encountered and you are a new user of Windows Defender, go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see
    what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

Suggest try the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include (but not limited to) running SFC, scanning for malware and running the software removal tools for any
    security software (AVG, Kaspersky, McAfee, Trend, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer (including trial versions of McAfee or Norton) followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

Alternatively - - -

You may prefer to install a third party antimalware program (which should disable Windows Defender)

There are a number of viable free and paid options available – take your pick…

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Is Windows Defender The Best For Windows 10?
    Good article but ignore the ads.

Consumer antivirus software providers for Windows

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. - Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Oct 23, 2021
  4. How do I Stop Windows Defender from Consuming Resources when using a Backup Program?

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Oct 23, 2021
Thema:

How do I Stop Windows Defender from Consuming Resources when using a Backup Program?

1. How do I Stop Windows Defender from Consuming Resources when using a Backup Program? - Similar Threads - Stop Defender Consuming

2. Widows defender scan is consuming lots of resources

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widows defender scan is consuming lots of resources: Windows defender's scan named as "Anti-malware service executable" simply is consuming a lot of resources and is constantly running in the background. And further, if we do a manual full scan if just peeking the CPU usage I have a i5-10th gen- upper midrange, just imagine the...
  3. Widows defender scan is consuming lots of resources

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Widows defender scan is consuming lots of resources: Windows defender's scan named as "Anti-malware service executable" simply is consuming a lot of resources and is constantly running in the background. And further, if we do a manual full scan if just peeking the CPU usage I have a i5-10th gen- upper midrange, just imagine the...
  4. How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?: Split from this thread.I'm having the same issue, and tried everything you listed and no dice. I'm at my wits end with this issue and it really is a bad one. I cant stream games in discord because it freezes the stream while I'm tabbed into the game....
  5. How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?: Split from this thread.I'm having the same issue, and tried everything you listed and no dice. I'm at my wits end with this issue and it really is a bad one. I cant stream games in discord because it freezes the stream while I'm tabbed into the game....
  6. How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?

7. How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?: Here's the issue;I play an online game with 3 separate clients. I have two screens, I run all 3 clients in window mode spread over these 2 screens. If I have all 3 open but none selected with the mouse, they all run at ~60fps. If I select one, it's frame-rates will increase...
  8. How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?

How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?: Here's the issue;I play an online game with 3 separate clients. I have two screens, I run all 3 clients in window mode spread over these 2 screens. If I have all 3 open but none selected with the mouse, they all run at ~60fps. If I select one, it's frame-rates will increase...
  9. How do I stop Windows from prioritising resources to whichever program I have 'clicked' on?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. How do I stop Windows Defender from killing my backup script?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I stop Windows Defender from killing my backup script?: Since about recently, Windows Defender started quietly killing my backup script. When I went to check, it gave me this: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] This is not a "dangerous and executes commands from an attacker", this is the script that I wrote myself that...