Windows 10: How do I stop windows defender periodic scan?

Discus and support How do I stop windows defender periodic scan? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; [ATTACH] I can't see any option in windows security app too.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ramitha Pathmila, Sep 24, 2020.

1. How do I stop windows defender periodic scan?

How do I stop windows defender periodic scan? 066250b1-2806-4949-86f8-68e4aea90b76?upload=true.png

I can't see any option in windows security app too.

:)

Ramitha Pathmila, Sep 24, 2020
  2. Steve C Win User

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

That link does suggest it's useful to use Defender offline scanning in addition to periodic scanning and a third party real time anti virus (e.g. Kaspersky).

Steve C, Sep 24, 2020
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Le Boule, Sep 24, 2020
  4. How do I stop windows defender periodic scan?

windows defender scanning stopped

Hi Mary,

As per the issue description you are unable to scan your computer using Windows Defender. While scanning your system you are getting an error message "Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped. You can start the service manually or
    restart you computer, which will start the service."

The issue could be if the service responsible for Windows defender either get corrupted or is stopped. Try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1

I would suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows Defender are running. If it is running make sure the status is Automatic. You may follow the steps provided below to check the services.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each service and start the service if not running.

Method 2

If issue persists, try to refer the articles mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Updating your Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software

How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Help protect my computer with Windows Defender

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

How do I stop windows defender periodic scan?

1. How do I stop windows defender periodic scan? - Similar Threads - stop defender periodic

2. Windows Defender Periodic Scans

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Periodic Scans: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2215 Scenario...I manually run Scans daily on my computer. I got sick and tired of having the occasional notification from Defender...oh we wasted your system resources and scanned your computer 14 times. So thru Task Scheduler I turned off periodic...
  3. Windows Defender Periodic Scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Periodic Scans: Windows 11 22H2 22621.2215 Scenario...I manually run Scans daily on my computer. I got sick and tired of having the occasional notification from Defender...oh we wasted your system resources and scanned your computer 14 times. So thru Task Scheduler I turned off periodic...
  4. Windows Defender Periodic Scan keeps turning on.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Periodic Scan keeps turning on.: Hello, I use Bitdefender AV, and since a couple of weeks, the system sometimes shows the Windows Defender Scan notification on startup. I disable it, but it keeps turining on.I said since a couple of weeks, because I suspect some Windows Update changed/screwed something. I...
  5. No periodic scan option windows 11 defender

No periodic scan option windows 11 defender: My computer came with Mcafee installed, I uninstalled it and chose to use defender for now. But there is no option on my computer for periodic scans. I’ve even tried scheduling scans, but that only worked a few times. I’ve tried resetting and repairing, but I can’t get the...
  6. Defender Periodic scan

Defender Periodic scan: Defender periodic scan keeps turning itself/ being turned off. What can I do to prevent this? I do have Malwarebytes Premium also installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/defender-periodic-scan/5240a38a-04b6-4b62-8c72-2963bc5ec72f
  7. How do I stop automatic scans with Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop automatic scans with Windows Defender?: I really dislike how the ''quick scan'' feature happens randomly and especially when I'm gaming. It takes up to 15-20% CPU usage and its enough to make me freeze/stutter in CPU intensive games until the scan is done. I don't mind scans when I'm away from the computer which I...
  8. Microsoft Defender Antivirus Periodic Scanning

Microsoft Defender Antivirus Periodic Scanning: Why does Microsoft Defender Antivirus Periodic Scanning being turned off after a computer restart or shut down. I have another antivirus program installed but the information in Microsoft Defender Antivirus Options says that I can have Microsoft Defender Antivirus...
  9. How Useful is Defender Limited Periodic Scanning?

How Useful is Defender Limited Periodic Scanning?: I use Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 2016 which turns off Defender by default. I notice there is the new Defender feature of Limited Periodic Scanning. How useful is this for a KIS user? Does it add a useful layer of additional security or just hog resources for a limited...
  10. Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?

Defender Periodic Scanning or Offline Scanning?: I use Kaspersky antivirus plus periodic scanning by Defender to benefit from US & Russian security technologies. I spotted there is a Defender option for offline scanning. Is there any advantage in using this compared to the periodic scanning option? 89931