Windows 10: how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one?

Discus and support how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; yeah like my title says i just gotta need a word count on this thing..... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by charliewhite3, Mar 18, 2019.

1. how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one?

yeah like my title says i just gotta need a word count on this thing..

:)

charliewhite3, Mar 18, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Mar 18, 2019
  3. SLI with different cards

Here is what is did
    step 1:
    how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one? 1516036961984-png.png

step 2:
    how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one? 1516036994068-png.png

:/ i dont get this doe ?

okay ive done the same thing as you but i cant put the file back into the folder

• Copy nvlddmkm.sys in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5518e59e8d3b48f4\ to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ and replace the existing one.
    that thing

gamingturkey1, Mar 18, 2019
  4. how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one?

How do install my copy of Windows 10 on an SSD that I will then swap for the internal SSD in my Dell Laptop?

I bought a new 500Gb 2.5" SSD and an external USB Hard Drive Case.

I want to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on this drive externally, then swap it for the existing 125 Gb SSD in my Dell Inspiron 11 laptop.

I do not have a registration key for Windows 10 as it was preinstalled, and I am concerned that:

1. The laptop may have a custom Dell installation, ie unique drivers and mods

2. I will lose my registration

3. I will lose all my software installations

4. The laptop will not boot the drive after I swap it in

Please give me step by step instructions and a heads up of any problems I may encounter and should avoid.

Thanks

Peter

PeterBreis, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one?

1. how do i swap windows from 1 SSD to a different one? - Similar Threads - swap SSD different

2. How do I remove one drive from my SSD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I remove one drive from my SSD.: How do I remove one drive from my SSD. Note it's not the file, but the icon. It has takes up the same space that I can see with in the web version. I have clicked the files for on-demand and that hasn't freed up any of the SSD. I had also tried to unlink one drive and that...
  3. How do I remove one drive from my SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove one drive from my SSD.: How do I remove one drive from my SSD. Note it's not the file, but the icon. It has takes up the same space that I can see with in the web version. I have clicked the files for on-demand and that hasn't freed up any of the SSD. I had also tried to unlink one drive and that...
  4. How do I remove one drive from my SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. swapped SSD from one pc to another back in 2021, today, swapping back, all files created...

swapped SSD from one pc to another back in 2021, today, swapping back, all files created...: in 2021, the drive 256 gb samsung replaced a full 128 gb wd. this 256 gb samsung was put in another pc where it stayed til 2 weeks ago when it died. I removed SSD from dead machine and dropped it back in original pc. It booted right up, was able to log in using Microsoft pin...
  6. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  7. How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?

How do I transfer the operating system from one SSD to another?: Good day, I've just installed an additional M.2 SSD into my laptop. I want to migrate the OS from my first SSD to the new one.Could you assist me with this issue?If I migrate from one SSD to another, will I lose the license of my Windows OS I want to transfer the OS along...
  8. How do I move windows 10 from one disk to an SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I move windows 10 from one disk to an SSD?: I recently bought a new SSD, and now I want to install Windows on it for faster booting and so on. But I only want to transfer windows over to the SSD. Not the entire hard drive. Can anyone please help me understand how to do this? submitted by /u/Sakul525 [link]...
  9. Swapping to ssd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping to ssd?: I am currently running a system with Linux running on my m.2 nvme and Windows is running on my hdd. Is it possible to have both running on the one ssd and if so how can i move the windows installation to the ssd? submitted by /u/AyeYoItsMateo [link] [comments]...
  10. How do I format two drives from different PCs and swap them?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I format two drives from different PCs and swap them?: Hi there! I have a small dilemma and I would like some help. I'm currently using an old laptop that has a HDD of 750 GB. My brother is giving me its newer laptop and I would like to give this laptop to my mother. Unfortunately, my brother's PC only has 500 GB. So, I would...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does it matter if i swap an ssd of a different make