Windows 10: How do I switch audio output from graphics card to on-board

Discus and support How do I switch audio output from graphics card to on-board in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and was experiencing issues with my sound drivers. I managed to get both the device and the codec drivers installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by turkeymaster77, Jul 29, 2015.

1. How do I switch audio output from graphics card to on-board

So I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and was experiencing issues with my sound drivers. I managed to get both the device and the codec drivers installed successfully (device manager checks out), but now when I go into my audio settings the output reads 'AMD HDMI Output, Not plugged in.'

What I'm getting from this is that the audio is being sent to the HDMI port on my graphics card which I have no applicable display or speakers for. I'm also using the AMD Catalyst software, but can't find any audio settings involving the HDMI port. How do I change this to output from the on-board auxiliary jack instead? Any input appreciated!

Thanks, turkey.

:)

turkeymaster77, Jul 29, 2015
  2. HairyFool Win User

soundproblems when using HDMI cable.

Check to see if you have more than one sound device, specifically an audio interface.

In order to get audio on the HDMI port the graphics card has to have access to an audio device. When the graphics interface is on boards it can access the main audio interface but depends on the board chipsets.

Particularly with add-on cards there is often no way to route the audio output from the main Audio chip to the HDMI port. Therefore to get sound through the HDMI port the card has to have its own audio device.

Use the Sound Applet in Control Panel to switch to the alternative.

How do I switch audio output from graphics card to on-board [​IMG]

In this image my speakers are attached to the SoundBlaster card and set as default. Because my monitor has no speakers the NVidia graphics card HDA is turned off.

HairyFool, Jul 29, 2015
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Why doesn't sound go to the TV?

Desktop or Laptop, Integrated video or Add On card?

The audio on the HDMI interface is in principle a different output from the normal Speaker/headphone output so the sound has to be routed to that interface. This is managed from the Sound Applet in Control Panel.

The "worst" case is that last option because that HDMI interface has no connection to the inbuilt audio device. At one time you could have a lead connecting the motherboard digital audio connector to a header on the graphics chip but modern graphics cards
    have their own audio interface. This can cause problems because of just switching where the sound should go from the onboard audio it actually has to select what sound device to use.

Laptop and onboard graphics are simpler because the audio can be routed via the PCB but may still need the right settings in the Sound Applet.

HairyFool, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

How do I switch audio output from graphics card to on-board

1. How do I switch audio output from graphics card to on-board - Similar Threads - switch audio output

2. How do I switch to a bluetooth audio output?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I switch to a bluetooth audio output?: I have a pair of earbuds synced to my PC, however I can't figure out how to change my audio output to the earbuds. They do not show up as an option in the system tray, in sound settings, or manage audio devices. Every time I want to use them I have to remove them from my PC's...
  3. How do I switch to a bluetooth audio output?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I switch to a bluetooth audio output?: I have a pair of earbuds synced to my PC, however I can't figure out how to change my audio output to the earbuds. They do not show up as an option in the system tray, in sound settings, or manage audio devices. Every time I want to use them I have to remove them from my PC's...
  4. How do I switch to a bluetooth audio output?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Switch graphics cards as main

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch graphics cards as main: Hi! So i have a Lenovo 81HN Laptop with AMD Radeon 530 and Intel HD 620 Graphics, but as main display adapter, my Intel 620 graphics is the main one, i would like to know if its possiblits possible to switch my Intel HD 620 GPU Integrated to AMD Radeon 530 Dedicated, but the...
  6. Switch graphics cards

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Switch graphics cards: I'm not able to switch graphics cards Intel Integrated & AMD dedicated in Windows 10 in laptop. How do I fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-graphics-cards/88461917-7dfc-4452-9087-ed3e756198d8
  7. help switching graphic card

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    help switching graphic card: hello, i got a laptop Acer E5-553G that have a dedicated gpu AMD Radeon R7 M340 but when i go to display settings in both the power saving GPU and high performance GPU it show AMD Radeon R7 graphics. There is no option to use the AMD Radeon R7 M340...
  8. Switch from headphones input audio to on-board input audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch from headphones input audio to on-board input audio: I have headphones that play sound just fine but have broken mic so i cant talk to team mates when playing games. the on-board audio works fine when my headphones are not connected so i was wondering is there a way to make windows use on-board input instead of headphones? i...
  9. Switching Graphics Cards

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switching Graphics Cards: Hello, I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask the question, but I'm having problems changing the default graphics card from Intel's integrated graphics card (Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620) to NVIDIA GeForce 940MX. I try to switch the default Graphics Card to...
  10. How to upgrade despite incompatible on-board graphics card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to upgrade despite incompatible on-board graphics card: I have a windows 7 system that I want to upgrade to Win10. The advisor says that the old on-board graphics card (built into the mobo) is not compatible. I went out and purchased a new PCI-e card that is compatible but the advisor continues to say that I can't upgrade. There...