Windows 10: How do I switch between hotkeys and function keys?

Discus and support How do I switch between hotkeys and function keys? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a HP laptop 15 windows 10. But the f keys have a secondary action. Like pressing f2 decreases brightness. This means that in apps like explorer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Shiveneht, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Shiveneht Win User

How do I switch between hotkeys and function keys?

I have a HP laptop 15 windows 10. But the f keys have a secondary action. Like pressing f2 decreases brightness. This means that in apps like explorer, I have to press fn+f2 to rename a file. How do I switch this in a way that pressing fn+f2 increases brightness and in apps like explorer pressing f2 renames a file?

:)

Shiveneht, Apr 15, 2021

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Apr 15, 2021
  3. 1,2,3 hotkeys

Hi,

Hotkeys are keyboard shortcuts that you can use as an alternative to what you typically do with a mouse. You may perform these steps to assign a hotkey to an application, and to a folder and file:

Assign a hotkey to an application:

• Open Start Menu.
    • Find the application, right-click on it > More > Open File Location.
    • Right-click on the application > Properties.
    • On the Shortcut tab, enter the keys you want to use in the Shortcut key box. Windows will add "Ctrl + Alt", however if you'll choose to use a function key or a numeric key, "Ctrl + Alt will not be added.
    • Click OK.

Assign a hotkey to a folder or file:

• Create a file or folder shortcut.
    • Right-click the shortcut file > Properties.
    • On the Shortcut tab, enter the keys you want to use in the Shortcut key box. Windows will add "Ctrl + Alt", however if you'll choose to use a function key or a numeric key, "Ctrl + Alt will not be added.
    • Click OK.

To know more about keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10, click
    here

Feel free to post back should you need further assistance.

**If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.**

Rachelle Gra, Apr 15, 2021
  4. How do I switch between hotkeys and function keys?

The function "Change language bar hot keys " has a bug.

Hi Chen,

We would like to know more about your concern. Kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• When did you start encountering the issue?
    • Have you made any changes on your computer prior to this issue?
    • Were the hotkeys settings on your Windows 10 computer ever worked before?
    Meanwhile, we suggest that you reconfigure your hotkeys settings by setting your key sequence to Not Assigned. To do this refer to the steps below:

• Go to Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Language > Advanced Settings.
    • Under Switching input methods, select Change language bar hot keys.
    • Select Between input languages, and then click Change Key Sequence.
    • Set Switch Keyboard Layout to Not Assigned.
    • Restart your computer.
    Once you're done with the process, you may then proceed to reconfigure your language bar hot keys to your desired settings. You may follow the steps above and select your preferred keyboard layout.

Should you need further assistance, let us know.

Monica Cam, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

How do I switch between hotkeys and function keys?

1. How do I switch between hotkeys and function keys? - Similar Threads - switch between hotkeys

2. how do i disable the function keys?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i disable the function keys?: i am gaming and i need to do something with those keys and i cant because of the function that each key has https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-the-function-keys/71cb776f-6e85-4a46-b602-57ad168645c4
  3. how do i disable the function keys?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i disable the function keys?: i am gaming and i need to do something with those keys and i cant because of the function that each key has https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-the-function-keys/71cb776f-6e85-4a46-b602-57ad168645c4
  4. function keys switches

function keys switches: Running Windows 10. Image below is similar to my keyboardMy function key has flipped. Here's what I mean. Look at the "F1 /audio mute" key. Initially, if I wanted to select the mute option, I pressed the F1 key. Now I have to press both the Fn key and the F1key to mute. What...
  5. How do I toggle the function keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I toggle the function keys: I'm playing a game on my laptop that requires me to use the function keys but on my laptop they have secondary functions like brightness, sound, etc. Is there a way I can disable these secondary functions? submitted by /u/FlauntyPack56 [link] [comments]...
  6. How Do I Switch Between MacOS And Windows?

How Do I Switch Between MacOS And Windows?: Please Help. I Have Installed Windows 10 On MacOS Using Bootcamp. I Now Want To Revert Back To Mac OS WITHOUT Deleting Windows. Is There Any Way I Can Switch Between The Two? I Read The Apple Article And Got No Help At All. Please Help And Thanks In Advance submitted by...
  7. How do I lock the function keys?

How do I lock the function keys?: Hi all, I just had a quick question. Some games I play require the press of F1-12 keys, although I always have to hold down the Fn key to make them work. Is there any way to lock the F1-12 keys so I don't have to press that Fn button? I commonly see people refer to Fn+Esc,...
  8. switching f# keys function

switching f# keys function: so I'm using a Microsoft surface 3 and i need to switch the functions of the f1, f2, f3, etc. buttons and I've tried BIOS, the mobility center and the keyboard control panel, to no avail. any suggestions? i never use these keys except in cases of gaming, and i cant because...
  9. How do I change language switch hotkey?

How do I change language switch hotkey?: After one of the recent updates I noticed I can't do it. I'm on Windows 10 1803 and there's no "language bar" or "change input method" or even "Keyboard (under Clock and Region). I can't see any option to change the switch from Alt-**** to anything else....
  10. How do you switch between Hyper-V VMs with a hotkey ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How do you switch between Hyper-V VMs with a hotkey ?: This is driving me crazy. Everything I search for doesn't come up with the right answer. I have two Hyper-V VMs and I want to run them both full screen and switch between them easily. At present I have to exit the VM into the host OS and back into the other VM which then is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows switch hotkeys and functions