Windows 10: How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

Discus and support How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kelsey, Feb 14, 2020.

1. kelsey Win User

How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

Hello everyone,
    I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external device then hard drive in order to boot Windows from a Flash Drive. The OS wouldn't boot, however, and so I set the BIOS mode to Legacy (per something I read randomly on the internet). Everything booted after that and after deleting the old hard drive partitions and creating new ones with a MBR format, windows installed itself no problem. However, I'd like to switch back to UEFI. I tried using Windows MBR2GPT.exe and... the partitions reformatted but then I restarted the computer and the Legacy BIOS could no longer read the hard drive and went looking for an external drive and screaming "No Operating System Found_". I then did the whole thing over and installed Windows once more. I don't know where to go from here. I've read article after article on how to resolve this issue but while I can format drives and partitions just fine, how on earth to I switch back to UEFI?

:)

kelsey, Feb 14, 2020
  2. 72westy Win User

Legacy to UEFI

I'm debating moving to UEFI form my now legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) the mother board is a GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev1.0 on the the following link it shows a UEFI BIOS U1J )UEFI BIOS)

GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Currently I'm running the legacy F10 BIOS. Does installing the UEFI BIOS automatically take care of everything to get to the UEFI BIOS? Installing the UEFI BIOS following the instructions using the Q-flash method GIGABYTE How to Reflash Motherboard BIOS

What's steps do I take and in what order?

Much appreciated

72westy, Feb 14, 2020
  3. dac81048 Win User
    Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Ramuettan Win User

Return to Legacy from UEFI - BIOS

Hi There

A while ago I was helped here to change from Legacy to UEFI. However, since then it seems, the Laptop (Latutide E6420) is running a bit slowly which was otherwise very quick until then. Now, it takes nearly a minute or so to boot up or shut down or even
    to close a file. Just a couple of days ago, I updated the latest BIOS for this machine recommended by Dell.

I tried to go back to Legacy but the system was asking me to reset to UEFI or face boot problems. One advise said that I could disable 'Secure Boot' in Boot Manager and reset to Legacy. However, the Boot Manager is listed under UEFI Boot process and it only
    starts Windows. Is there any way as easy as I changed it? This is absolutely under the hope that all will be as normal as it was in the beginning. Please give your thoughts and advice. Thanks.

Ramuettan, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI? - Similar Threads - switch Legacy BIOS

2. How do I convert from legacy to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I convert from legacy to UEFI?: HelloIm in the midst of trying to upgrade to windows 11 although my system drive is already gpt all the vidios I've watched use the mbr2gpt command where as I cannot use as mine is already gpt I converted it from mbr to gpt using EaseUs now when I try to boot from Uefi from...
  3. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  4. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  5. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. switch Legacy to UEFI

switch Legacy to UEFI: have Dell Inspiron 660, A12 BIOS 3/20/2018 currently have Legacy with Secure Boot disabled If I change to UEFI with Secure Boot enabled will W10 20H2 start up correctly? thanks (saw the W11 stream today) 181580
  7. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  8. Switching from Legacy to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from Legacy to UEFI: I have been thinking of converting from Legacy to UEFI (Ryzen 2600 - AsRock B450 Pro4) My questions are: Is it as easy and as safe as it looks in those youtube videos? Like literally just typing mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS in cmd prompt with admin privileges, then...
  9. Legacy and UEFI switching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Legacy and UEFI switching: So, I have created a Windows To Go USB and it runs well but it’s UEFI, which is what I need to run it on my Mac. However, the other device that I need to use it on is on legacy, I believe it can switch to UEFI but it also already has data on. So if I switch it to UEFI , use...
  10. How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?: Hello everyone, I recently had an issue with my Sony Vaio SVJ202A11L where the config files were corrupted and decided that a clean install of Windows 10 was the best option. My device was using UEFI at the time and from the UEFI firmware UI I set the boot order to external...