Windows 10: how do I switch my C drive back to basic

Discus and support how do I switch my C drive back to basic in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My C Drive is formatted as a Dynamic drive and I am having trouble installing programs. I'd like to switch it to a basic drive, but I am nervous that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by landonribeiro, Dec 25, 2019.

1. how do I switch my C drive back to basic

My C Drive is formatted as a Dynamic drive and I am having trouble installing programs. I'd like to switch it to a basic drive, but I am nervous that I will lose all my data, including my system files. Below is my current setup.

how do I switch my C drive back to basic 4b65a7d8-902b-4853-b837-da5d4df341c4?upload=true.png

:)

landonribeiro, Dec 25, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

Macrium Rescue disk can be used to convert from MBR to GPT and vice versa without doing a fresh install of Windows.

1. Download Rescue6.1.1081X64.iso - Google Drive and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk. Skip this step if you've already created the Macrium Rescue disk.
    2. Download: BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip - Google Drive . Unzip to an external or an internal HD
      NOTE:
      This is a copy of the first 3 partitions of my current Windows 10 x64 (450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI and 16MB MSR)
    3. Boot up Macrium Rescue disk and create a backup of your current Windows to another internal/external HD. It serves 2 purposes: you'd have a backup of your current Windows in case things go wrong and then use it to restore the C drive on the next steps.
    4. Next, switch the BIOS to UEFI and use Macrium to restore the first 3 partitions downloaded in step 2 to your current MBR Windows. No need to convert or Format, Macrium will do it.
    5. Again with Macrium, select the backup image from step 3, and copy back the C drive after the 3 partitions.
      After this step, you should have: 450MB, 100MB, 16MB and C drive (GPT partition scheme)
    6. From Macrium, click on Fix the Windows Boot Problems
    7. Reboot. Your Windows should be in UEFI mode.

topgundcp, Dec 25, 2019
  3. C drive inaccessible

Hi Paritosh,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10.

Please be assured that we will do our best to help you.

• Have you logged in as an administrator?

• Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    An "Access Denied" error message can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• The folder ownership has changed.
    • You do not have the appropriate permissions.
    • The file is encrypted.
    Before we could reset the computer, let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to follow these steps to take the ownership of the drive.

• Right click on Drive C and click
      Properties.

• Switch to Security tab, click Edit and
      Add to add your user account, if it is not listed. Assign the
      full control permission
      for your own account and click OK.

• Click Advanced, switch to Ownership tab and click
      Edit button.

• Highlight your user account and click
      Apply
      , and then click OK.
    Step 2: Let us try to disable to UAC settings and check.

• Press Windows key + S and type
      User account control

• Select Change User Account Control Settings.

• Move the slider to Never notify and click
      Ok.
    Refer: "Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Dec 25, 2019
  4. how do I switch my C drive back to basic

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Dec 25, 2019
Thema:

how do I switch my C drive back to basic

1. how do I switch my C drive back to basic - Similar Threads - switch drive basic

2. How do I extend my C drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I extend my C drive: My Extend Volume is grayed out for the C drive and I tried shrinking the D drive and now have unallocated Space but it’s still grayed out I read that the unallocated space has to be adjacent to it but when i shrink from the D drive to it becomes adjacent to D drive not the c...
  3. How to get back into my c drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get back into my c drive: I was attempting to clean up my files when I had accidentally deleted the users file from my c drive. From that moment my computer constantly crashed, freezes. I have tried to use the command prompt won’t open for me and I’ve attempted to change the ownership to myself,...
  4. How to get back into my c drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get back into my c drive: I was attempting to clean up my files when I had accidentally deleted the users file from my c drive. From that moment my computer constantly crashed, freezes. I have tried to use the command prompt won’t open for me and I’ve attempted to change the ownership to myself,...
  5. How to get back into my c drive

6. How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?: Hi I've been having trouble with my computer's C and D drive. So on my C drive I have 446 gbs and my D drive I have 931 gbs. A while ago my storage was getting full with games and photos so I looked up on youtube to try to find a way where I could change my D drive to my main...
  7. How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?

How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?: Hi I've been having trouble with my computer's C and D drive. So on my C drive I have 446 gbs and my D drive I have 931 gbs. A while ago my storage was getting full with games and photos so I looked up on youtube to try to find a way where I could change my D drive to my main...
  8. How do I switch back my C drive to my main drive?

9. How to switch C: and D: drive

How to switch C: and D: drive: Hi all! I have this weird problem where my C: drive is de HDD and the SSD in my system is the D: drive. Yesterday I used the paid version of AOMEI to clone the Windows 10 system to the SSD. That worked for the evening. Today, when I booted my system up, everything was...
  10. How do I extend my C drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I extend my C drive?: I have two partitions in my laptop - C (100 gigs) & D (400 gigs). Can I use Win 10 disk management to 'shrink volume' in D say 200 gigs and then use extend volume in C to add the available space to C drive? Do I need to backup my existing data in D and C before performing the...