Windows 10: how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space?

Discus and support how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want to download star wars battlefront 2 but I don't have enough space. My computer has a d:data thing how do I use that?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chihyutan, Dec 21, 2018.

1. chihyutan Win User

how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space?

I want to download star wars battlefront 2 but I don't have enough space.

My computer has a d:data thing how do I use that?

:)

chihyutan, Dec 21, 2018

2. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

We just released a couple of new Storage Spaces features with the
    Windows 10 November update
    :

• Optimize drive usage to make the best use of all of your drives after adding drives
    • Safely remove a drive from a pool by automatically moving data off the drive and onto other drives in the pool.
    To make use of these features you'll have to install the
    Windows 10 November update.
    Our latest Help content briefly covers the new Storage Spaces functionality:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Cheers!

Jason Gerend - Senior Content Developer for Storage Spaces

Jason Gerend_MSFT, Dec 21, 2018
  3. Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

1. Install Windows 1607 & 1709 dual boot system
    2. Connect two free disks
    3. Boot into 1607
    4. Create storage pool, assign two free disks, create two-way mirror volume
    5. Copy data to new volume
    6. Reboot into 1709
    7. Upgrade your Storage Space pool to gain new features as MS suggests
    8. Reboot into 1607
    9. Your Storage Space configuration looks now as in the picture, volume is inaccessible
    10. Notice that doing step 7 was not the smartest idea, data are now accessible only from Windows 1709.

Question: Is it possible to simply revert Storage Spaces metadata back to version 1607? Answer: No. It is necessary to backup data, destroy upgraded pool, create new pool & mirror in Windows 1607, and restore data.

Is it so hard to understand what necros asks for?

muchomurka, Dec 21, 2018
  4. JGT
    jgt Win User

Storages Spaces Configuration

Progress Update

I’ve had success but it has not been without a lot of pain and time.

Major issues for me.

• With my first attempts I was NOT able to create a Storage Space. As I research the issue I discovered one post that stated I could NOT have either a software or hardware RAID on the same system. At this time I did have the “LSI SAS9211-8I 8 Port” card installed.
      I’ve discovered that the card was set as a RAID card. At that time I was NOT able to get into the card BIOS and change any of the settings or software, thus I removed the card.
    • After removing the card I was able to create the Storage Space but this was not without discover of another issue. I wanted to use Parity which is like RAID 5 and I also wanted to use the ReFS file format. Initially because of my choices (Parity and ReFS)
      I could NOT create the Storage Space and discovered that MS does not support this combination but in the setup they allow you to select Parity and ReFS To resolve the issue I picked Parity and NTFS, this allowed me to create the Storage Space.
    • Another challenge was setting the value for maximum size for the storage space. As I understand it is best to establish a huge max size thus as you add more disk you do not hit the max size limit. If you hit the max size limit then it will be necessary
      to create a new storage space with a huge max size, move the contents of the first storage space to the new storage space. This would be super time consuming and require a lot of hard drives as temp holding space. After many attempts I settled on a max size
      of 50TB and with the three drives, 1-3TB, 1-4TB, 1-6TB, I had a space with 11.8TB and a max size of 50TB. This should be more than enough space for my data for the living years I have left remaining.

how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space? f8792b52-5946-4590-ad88-d9893af61b23.png
    Thus I finally had a workable storage space and my next step was to copy my “data” files to the new storage space so I kicked off all the necessary copy actions to copy the data. I used the high-level folder as my starting point. Following are two images
    showing the action. As you can see some have completed and some have a VERY long time remaining, e.g. 1913 minutes = 231 hours or about 10 days. I realize that all the copy actions are using the same drives thus this is a performance hit but it is a lot faster
    than me running one copy at a time thus forcing me to start another copy when one completed. But the actual performance hit is less than the time I would lose by the time gap between a copy finishing and me starting another copy. However there does seem to
    be a huge performance overhead with Storage Spaces. Originally I had to move the contents of the three drives in the Storage Space and if I recall this was completed in less than 4 days.

how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space? 17a45814-682d-43d9-9925-de6c90ce1a60.png

how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space? 29ffa8cb-b16f-4f3e-a180-7466b3827f87.png

After the copy to the storage space completes I see the following as the next steps.

• Share the storage space with full privileges so all my other PCs can access the drives. This is quick task and should take less than 10 minutes.
    • Test to ensure all PCs can access the storage space. This is a bit more time and should take 1-2 hours.
    • Change ALL applications on ALL PCs to use the new storage space and confirm that all is working correctly. This could easily take a couple of days.
    • Use Hard Disk Sentinel (HDS) to reinitialize disk surface. This is an extensive test and will take about four days to test both drives being freed up, e.g. the 4TB and 6TB that currently have my data on them.
    • The HDS 4TB drive test will finish at least a day or two before the 6TB completes, when it does I could add it to the existing Storage pool or just wait until the 6TB HDS completes and add it to the storage pool. If I wait for the 6TB drive this would give
      me a bit over 17TB for my data. I feel that this will be more than enough to last me for whatever years I have left.

At the same time I’m doing the above I can also work on the LSI SAS9211-8I 8 Port card and get it working, this will be for all of my backups. I have contacted LSI support via email and they did send information. Some of the info I was able to implement
    and others presented a problem for me. I sent a follow-up email last night but most likely will not get an answer until Monday. I was expecting a reply but so far no reply.

After I get the card working I can create another parity storage space for all of my backups. Currently I have five drives connected to the card, 2-1TB drives, 1-1.5TB drive, 2-2TB drives.

After I create the backup storage space, setup full permissions so all systems can access and confirm the access, the following steps will be performed. These will take several days or weeks.

• Copy data from one backup drive. I currently have as backup drives, 2-2TB, 7-3TB, 3-6TB, to the temp drives attached to the card. I will start with a 3TB drive. By starting with a 3TB drive this will ensure I can replace one of the 1TB drives without space
      issues on the storage space. When I complete the backup storage space build it will have the 3-6TB drives and 2 or 3 3TB drives assigned to the space. This will provide between 23-26TB of storage for backups. If I need more space I can purchase a 10TB drive
      and replace one of the 3TB drives. Thus I’m playing a lot of musical chairs to get to the final build.
    • Confirm that all the backup data has been removed from the drive to the backup storage space
    • Change the necessary applications to use the backup storage space.
    • Confirm that apps are successfully using the backup storage space.
    • After the copy completes run the HDS test on the old drive. BTW the test level I’m using wipes out any data on the disk

After the HDS test completes remove the smallest drive from the backup storage space and add the drive that just completed the HDS test

Thema:

1. how do i switch my storage usage space to data d space? - Similar Threads - switch storage usage

2. Storage Spaces and Disk Management do not show Storage Space drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and Disk Management do not show Storage Space drives: I was using the non-SSD drives shown as a Storage Space. I can see them in Device Manager and if I use the Get-PhysicalDisk command, but I can't see them in Storage Spaces and Disk Management. It appears that two of the drives have failed, the ST3000DM001-1CH166 ATA Device...
  3. freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces: Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks...
  4. D:/ usage space showing wrong

D:/ usage space showing wrong: Suggest me how to rectify this error or issue. From the below image its clearly shown that "all in d:\" size is 38.0gb, but in properties shows 207gb used how? [ATTACH]...
  5. Storage space

Storage space: I've been trying to install the newest update. However, it says I need more disk space. I've looked online and on the Microsoft website and deleted everything I can. There's nothing in downloads, temporary files, pictures, videos or anything that isn't needed for it to run...
  6. Out of data Storage Space on Minecraft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Out of data Storage Space on Minecraft: When loading into one of my worlds, i can play for about 10 seconds and then I am kicked out and a screen appears, saying "you are out of data storage space and mine craft is unable to save your progress!". However, my hard drive still has over 850 GB of space on it. The...
  7. Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces: I have a 4-bay enclosure of 8TB drives (32TB total) set to parity using Storage spaces. I would suspect I would be able to get about 2/3 (66%) capacity or about 21TB after allowing for parity. However it's telling me that the total capacity is only 14TB. How does that make...
  8. Storage Space

Storage Space: [ATTACH]This may seem like a silly question but can someone please tell me if something is going here that needs any action? I am getting a notification that my laptop that’s linked with my microsoft account needs my attention. When I follow through with where it leads me...
  9. how do i creat storage space

how do i creat storage space: I not very good withcomputer it keeps tellingme I am low on storage space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-creat-storage-space/4cf6cc07-b0bd-4f85-8f2d-009009577a28"
  10. How do I recover/repair my storage space?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I recover/repair my storage space?: I apologize if this is not in the correct forum. I have a storage space on my personal computer that consists of 3 drives. My storage space is setup as parity. Last night I rebooted my machine and allowed it to install new Windows Updates and this morning when I came back...