Windows 10: how do i switch the 1st and 2nd monitor?

Discus and support how do i switch the 1st and 2nd monitor? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] i moved my computer and switched the screens, but i cant seem to figure out how to make my former 2nd monitor my 1st monitor. (now games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EliasMikki, Jun 25, 2020.

1. toby2398 Win User

2nd and 3rd monitors freezing

I'm on the latest Windows 10 version.

At random times (normally after leaving the computer in sleep mode) my 2nd and 3rd monitors freeze up, resulting in static images of what's there. I can still (somewhat) do things on them, but they mostly remain frozen. For example, I can make a fullscreen
    application windowed (ctrl+shift+f) and vise versa. I can also move things from either one of the monitors to the 1st monitor, but I can't do this the other way around. When I move them, they still appear frozen on the 2nd or 3rd monitor whilst being dragged
    to the 1st, and they stay there when being dragged from the 1st.

Turning off the 1st monitor (pretty much unplugging it due to the monitor) allows the others to function freely, but when I turn it back on, the problem restarts. This happens when unplugging the monitors as well.

toby2398, Jun 25, 2020
  2. Dawn G. Win User
    Dual monitor issue - every window on app on 2nd monitor opens on 1st monitor

Help! I am running 2 apps simultaneously, one on the primary monitor and one on the 2nd monitor. The app on the primary monitor is fine. The problem I'm having is that the app on the 2nd monitor does not work on there. It will not stay there or operate
    there. It opens on the primary monitor. That part is no big deal because I just drag it to the 2nd monitor. However, every time I click to view a new page, the new page opens on the primary monitor, completely blocking my view of the primary monitor. When
    the app is open on the 2nd monitor, why does each page click on it open up on the 2nd monitor? Why does it keep opening up on the primary monitor? It is very frustrating and counter productive to drag every single page/window back to the 2nd monitor. I
    might as well not have a 2nd monitor!! What can I do to keep this from happening? It completely negates having a 2nd monitor if each page click within the app won't stay there! Any help is welcome. I'm using Windows 10.

Dawn G., Jun 25, 2020
  3. Erika Aro Win User

how do i switch the 1st and 2nd monitor?

Windows 10 can't detect my second monitor

Thank you for confirming. We can do the following:

When the second monitor is not detected, we need to isolate if it's the monitor, the cable connecting them, or the port. We suggest that you remove your 1st monitor, then use the 2nd monitor as your 1st monitor. After that, connect the 1st monitor as the
    2nd monitor.

Usually, this it's driver-related. Windows 10 won't be able to detect the 2nd monitor if the monitor driver is out of date or faulty. We recommend, rolling back to the previous installed graphics driver and monitor driver if it updated. Otherwise, update your
    graphics and monitor drivers on the Device Manager. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Type Device Manager in the Cortana search bar and press Enter.
    • When the Device Manager window appears, click the Display adapters and right-click the item below.
    • Select Properties, then Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Expand the Monitors, then right-click the second monitor and select Properties.
    • Click the Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists, update the drivers. You can manually update the driver by visiting the websites of your graphics card and monitor manufacturers to get the fully compatible drivers for Windows 10. You can run the Find
    and fix problems with devices and hardware
    to automatically check for driver updates. Additionally, we'd like to know the make and model of your graphics cards and monitor?

Post back anytime at your convenience.

Erika Aro, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

how do i switch the 1st and 2nd monitor?

1. how do i switch the 1st and 2nd monitor? - Similar Threads - switch 1st 2nd

2. My 2nd monitor shows the same thing as my 1st monitor, what do i do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My 2nd monitor shows the same thing as my 1st monitor, what do i do?: When ever i shut off my pc because it freezes my 2nd monitor shows the same screen as my main monitor, it doesn't detect it either, what do i do?...
  3. My 2nd monitor shows the same thing as my 1st monitor, what do i do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My 2nd monitor shows the same thing as my 1st monitor, what do i do?: When ever i shut off my pc because it freezes my 2nd monitor shows the same screen as my main monitor, it doesn't detect it either, what do i do?...
  4. 1st monitor is being capped by 2nd monitors resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1st monitor is being capped by 2nd monitors resolution: my first monitor is a 2560x1440p monitor and 2nd is 1920x1080 but the 1440p one is being capped at 1080 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1st-monitor-is-being-capped-by-2nd-monitors/f1763ad4-4ebb-48ce-b151-d47fe60f7333
  5. 1st monitor is being capped by 2nd monitors resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1st monitor is being capped by 2nd monitors resolution: my first monitor is a 2560x1440p monitor and 2nd is 1920x1080 but the 1440p one is being capped at 1080 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1st-monitor-is-being-capped-by-2nd-monitors/f1763ad4-4ebb-48ce-b151-d47fe60f7333
  6. 1st monitor is being capped by 2nd monitors resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Suddenly when 2nd monitor is connected 1st monitor freezes

Suddenly when 2nd monitor is connected 1st monitor freezes: I have, for quite some time, been using two monitors. The primary one being a 32in TV and the second one being a 24in monitor. The primary one is connected to my pc by DP to HDMI; the secondary is connected by VGA. Recently, when I booted everything up in the morning the...
  8. 2nd Monitor not detected although it mirrors the 1st

2nd Monitor not detected although it mirrors the 1st: Hello, I just purchased a new Dell Inspirion 7306 2n1 laptop and I have a UtechSmart USBType-C Hub Pro Product Model: UCN3270 docking station with two HP 27f monitors. When I plug the hub into the USB-C port on the laptop, windows recognizes the hub as only one monitor....
  9. How do I change the 'screen size' The 1st monitor is actually 24" and the 2nd monitor is a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the 'screen size' The 1st monitor is actually 24" and the 2nd monitor is a...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/typicaltech [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g7er5j/how_do_i_change_the_screen_size_the_1st_monitor/
  10. how to prevent open windows on 2nd monitor from moving to 1st monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    how to prevent open windows on 2nd monitor from moving to 1st monitor: Running Windows 10 and two monitors, when I shut my monitors off and come back and turn the monitors back on, all of my open windows move over to the left monitor. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? 137555