Windows 10: How do I switch to "Char Input into Converted POS" mode in the Microsoft Japanese IME?

Discus and support How do I switch to "Char Input into Converted POS" mode in the Microsoft Japanese IME? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, First, some context: I'm trying to figure out how to efficiently fix typos after converting in the Microsoft Japanese IME. So far I know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jpear1, Jun 12, 2020.

1. jpear1 Win User

How do I switch to "Char Input into Converted POS" mode in the Microsoft Japanese IME?

Hi all,

First, some context:

I'm trying to figure out how to efficiently fix typos after converting in the Microsoft Japanese IME.

So far I know of two options:

• Press "Enter" to determine all of your phrases then, in "Only Input strings" mode, fix your typo, then re-select your fixed phrase and re-convert it.
    • Press "Left arrow" until you're at the first phrase, press "Left arrow" one more time, then you can edit the characters in your phrase block without having to determine all of them. This uses the "PhraCharLeft" command.

Neither of these options are very satisfactory.

The first option is way too many keystrokes, and requires me to leave conversion mode

The second option is slightly better, but still pretty sub par.

For one, "PhaCharLeft" seems to have some undocumented behavior I have no control over. If I bind "Right arrow" to "RadLookup" in every state, after I enter "PhraCharLeft"'s editing state by pressing "Left Arrow" several times, the right arrow key just navigates normally. In other words, the IME enters some 7th state besides the 6 I can access in advanced key template settings.

This wouldn't be a huge problem, because I don't want "Right arrow" to to open "RadLookup". However, how I have no easy way of returning to normal

behavior having arrow keys move phrase by phrase.

The key template that avoids this undocumented behavior is "IME Standard", however, I can't find any way to fix typos with this template. There's a whole section of keybindings for "Char input into Converted POS", which sounds like exactly what I want to do, but I can't figure out how to enter this mode!

I'm sure it's not the "undocumented 7th mode" from earlier because when I rebind every key to "RadLookup" in "Char input into Converted POS" mode, none of the 7th modes' behavior changes.

So, this brings me to my questions:

How do I enter "Char input into Converted POS" mode?

Is there any documentation of the Japanese IME outside of the IME itself? Some of the descriptions of actions are cut off "DetThenNext+" for example and I don't know how to read them.

And a couple of questions I'm just curious about:

What does "POS" stand for here?

Where does this "IME Standard" come from? Who publishes it?

Thanks a lot,

Jack

:)

jpear1, Jun 12, 2020
  2. Mopaxian Win User

Can't switch input methods for Japanese Microsoft IME

Not to be obtuse, but do you know Windows 10? This person is talking about the Windows 10 IME for Japanese, the one that gets installed when you add Japanese as input language. I have the same problem: alt-shift toggles between languages just fine, but by
    default the Japanese IME lets you type in latin characters ("romaji") and while we SHOULD be able to switch that input mode to hiragana, katakana, or even direct input, those options do not work. Even using the mouse to click the "A" and then selecting "hiragana"
    (written in Japanese for whatever reason all of a sudden, it used to be in English unless you were running in full Japanese locale mode) does _nothing_

So: how do we fix that? What do we do in order to get the Microsoft Japanese IME to change input modes (not input languages) when Japanese is active?

Mopaxian, Jun 12, 2020
  3. mloballer Win User
    IME Japanese input

So, set up Japanese as my second input. Each time I hit alt + shift, it will switch to Japanese. However the annoying issue I am dealing with is when it switches to Japanese mode, it is in alphanumeric not hirigana mode, which is extremely annoying because
    if someone switches to Japanese mode, of course, they want to start typing in Japanese, not English, so to switch to hirigana I have to hit CTL + CAPS LOCK, which is annoying to have to do two keyboard shortcuts, why can't I have it default in hirigana mode
    when I hit alt + shift, instead of alphanumeric?? Is there a way to make hirigana the default option when switching to Japanese IME? Let me know thanks.

mloballer, Jun 12, 2020
  4. TokyoMike Win User

How do I switch to "Char Input into Converted POS" mode in the Microsoft Japanese IME?

Switching Japanese Windows with English menus

Yes, I do mean those keys. I tried just switching to Japanese keyboard, as you suggested, but those keys didn't work. Also, the selection key is normally the spacebar in Japan but I could only get IME to work with the Tab key (for those who aren't familiar with Japanese typing: you type in Roman characters, then press a selection key and it steps you through a list of options for the word you are typing in Japanese characters). Did you get the special keys to work as they do in native Japanese mode?

It may well be that I was missing something, although I did try every option I could think of. In any event, as I said, I gave in and now have Japanese Windows running with English menus and everything seems to be working perfectly.
    Thanks,

Mike

TokyoMike, Jun 12, 2020
Thema:

1. How do I switch to "Char Input into Converted POS" mode in the Microsoft Japanese IME? - Similar Threads - switch Char Input

2. Japanese IME input buggy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese IME input buggy?: I use Japanese input a lot and it's always been somewhat buggy in my opinion.Often times when I switch to Japanese from English, it defaults to Half-width alphanumeric mode instead of my preferred Hiragana mode. So I'm constantly having to switch back and forth.Often times...
  3. Japanese IME input buggy?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese IME input buggy?: I use Japanese input a lot and it's always been somewhat buggy in my opinion.Often times when I switch to Japanese from English, it defaults to Half-width alphanumeric mode instead of my preferred Hiragana mode. So I'm constantly having to switch back and forth.Often times...
  4. Japanese Microsoft IME

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Japanese Microsoft IME: 5MicrosoftIME !Translated to English -As a 5th grader who can't really understand English that good I need some help please. I want to change it to Japanese. I tried downloading the Japanese Microsoft IME and switched to it but its still in English is it supposed to be like...
  5. Japanese IME Keyboard Input Prediction.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese IME Keyboard Input Prediction.: I am currently learning Japanese and am needing to use the Japanese IME keyboard on windows 10. However, the predictive text started to auto complete and show the sentences before I could finish them. The problem is, I am studying and am not trying to have text give me the...
  6. Japanese IME - default mode

Japanese IME - default mode: Why is there no way to set default mode to input romaji into hiragana? I hate switching keyboards and then having to press ALT+~ to switch between hiragana and the useless English keyboard mode. I do not want to type in English when I am using the Japanese keyboard mode. WHY...
  7. Japanese IME disable alphanumeric input

in Windows 10 Support
    Japanese IME disable alphanumeric input: Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have not been here in like almost 5 years now. I have the IME setup such that I can switch from English to Japanese with a keyboard shortcut, but there is one major annoyance: alphanumeric input is always on until I switch it with...
  8. I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters

I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters: Windows 10. I can switch to Japanese Microsoft IME but CANNOT input Japanese characters. When I left click on the A character, nothing happens. When I right click, some options appear, but when I click on Hiragana, but nothing happens. I have tried some of the solutions...
  9. Japanese IME not converting properly.

Japanese IME not converting properly.: Hello. Japanese IME was installed last week and it worked fine. This week, it was disable for some reason. Removed and re-installed. However, it is not converting correctly. Here is me typing out the vowels: ち に な い ら  (A, I, U, E, O) Those are not the correct kana...
  10. IME Japanese input

IME Japanese input: So, set up Japanese as my second input. Each time I hit alt + shift, it will switch to Japanese. However the annoying issue I am dealing with is when it switches to Japanese mode, it is in alphanumeric not hirigana mode, which is extremely annoying because if someone switches...