Windows 10: How do I tell a command in the Context Menu NOT to follow symbolic links

Discus and support How do I tell a command in the Context Menu NOT to follow symbolic links in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For most commands in the context menu in File Explorer e.g. Open, Edit, Print, etc. we want symbolic links to be followed so that the file we actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RickHolt2, Feb 20, 2021.

1. RickHolt2 Win User

How do I tell a command in the Context Menu NOT to follow symbolic links

For most commands in the context menu in File Explorer e.g. Open, Edit, Print, etc. we want symbolic links to be followed so that the file we actually work on is the target of the symbolic link. This is accomplished in the registry by a command such as:

%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1.

I wish to add a command to the context menu which would return the name and directory of the symlink file rather than the target. The registry entry would look something like

xyzfile

shell

showdir

command [%SystemRoot%\bin\showdir.bat "%1"]

I have implemented this and it works well, except it shows the directory of the target, not the symlink file. How can I tell it not to follow the symbolic link?

:)

RickHolt2, Feb 20, 2021
  2. Cuzza Win User

Change target of "Edit" command in context menus

@ Oily, thanks but that's not what I'm trying to do here. I wanted the "Edit" context menu command to open a different program to what the file is usually associated with; the Default Programs dialog doesn't allow that.

Cuzza, Feb 20, 2021
  3. AndreePin Win User
    AndreePin, Feb 20, 2021
  4. How do I tell a command in the Context Menu NOT to follow symbolic links

Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown How do I tell a command in the Context Menu NOT to follow symbolic links :(

ArmoredCavalry, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

How do I tell a command in the Context Menu NOT to follow symbolic links

1. How do I tell a command in the Context Menu NOT to follow symbolic links - Similar Threads - tell command Context

2. How do I modify the context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I modify the context menu: Greetings,How do I modify the right click context menu?There are so many options it is cluttered.I have tried various solutions, but none seem to work.edit right click menu windows 11 - Google SearchThanks,WV-Mike...
  3. How do I modify the context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I modify the context menu: Greetings,How do I modify the right click context menu?There are so many options it is cluttered.I have tried various solutions, but none seem to work.edit right click menu windows 11 - Google SearchThanks,WV-Mike...
  4. Missing context menu options following update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing context menu options following update: Hello team,Following a recent update, I am missing my context menu options. I have been able to restore the WinRAR ones via the app, but OneDrive options are limited. This is significantly impacting my workflow as I sync alot of work folders with my local machine and share...
  5. Missing context menu options following update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing context menu options following update: Hello team,Following a recent update, I am missing my context menu options. I have been able to restore the WinRAR ones via the app, but OneDrive options are limited. This is significantly impacting my workflow as I sync alot of work folders with my local machine and share...
  6. What is this context menu command?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is this context menu command?: Today I noticed a command I've never seen before in the context menu. In Brazilian Portuguese it reads Liberar espao, which means "Free up space". ▼ [img] I tried to identify it using ShellMenuView, but it didn't find any menu name with "Liberar", "espao", "free", and...
  7. Command to do the job of F5 key/Refresh at context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Command to do the job of F5 key/Refresh at context menu.: Hi. I use Winaero Tweaker and Windows font appear to change the size and font of desktop's icons font. Usually after shutdown-boot or reboot procedure , the font dont appear right. I need to do a "refresh" from desktop's context menu (or press F5). Example : 1) Before...
  8. How do I turn on context menu shortcuts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I turn on context menu shortcuts?: For example, when you want to rename a file, you can right click on it, then press "m" on your keyboard to rename that file because "m" is the shortcut for rename when the context menu is open, as signified by the underlined "' on the "rename" option. However, it's not...
  9. how can rearrange context menu commands

in Windows 10 Customization
    how can rearrange context menu commands: Hi, how can i move cut copy to the upper of context menu I use zoomed desktop layout 150% and also I use to many apps which occupy many places in context menu, I have to scroll down context menu to see cut copy options also there might be other commands I don't need how...
  10. Pinning files to links context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinning files to links context menu: If I right-click the Excel link in my windows start menu, the context menu displays several pinned excel files that I commonly use. I need to change the properties (file location) in one of these pinned links. I recall creating some desktop short cuts and then moving them to...