Windows 10: How do I tell if a m4a container is lossless

Discus and support How do I tell if a m4a container is lossless in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; G'day all; I download music from iTunes, but don't use the app (I use MusicBee). A real pain in that the iTunes app keeps defaulting my file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jrt_q, Jan 19, 2019.

1. jrt_q Win User

How do I tell if a m4a container is lossless

G'day all;

I download music from iTunes, but don't use the app (I use MusicBee). A real pain in that the iTunes app keeps defaulting my file structure back to factory with every update which seems to be every time I open it. But iTunes has a decent selection of music so I put up with it.

I cannot seem to find how to find out if the m4a containers actually are using the ALAC format - theoretically lossless - or the AAC. All my searches are geared to Apple computers, and my library is on Windows.

I have a rather large music library and I like to keep track of the quality of my music. I am trying to convert everything to lossless and if that means buying an album again. so be it.

Thanks in advance.

-jrtinz

:)

jrt_q, Jan 19, 2019

2. Nokia N95-8GB, won't play Apple Lossless.

Yup, M4A is listed as a supported format, and files encoded as m4a from iTunes at settings other than "Lossless" seem to be OK. So it looks like it's just the lossless format that is stuffed.

As for lossless being unpopular (from the earlier post), I'm not sure about that - if disc space is no concern (which it's not for me) it's gotta be the best format available on iTunes.

/john

johndaintree---01, Jan 19, 2019
  3. helophium Win User
    Apple Lossless (ALAC) audio codec for Nokia?

Hello,

Could you suggest me if there are any audio codec for Nokia E61 which allows to play Apple Lossless audio files (ALAC), please? These files have a file extension .m4a and are widely used with Apple iTunes (lossless audio compression). I have many such files,
    but my Nokia E61 don't play them. And I don't want to convert them to mp3. I would just like to upload my m4a files to my phone and listen. Many thanks in advance!

Message Edited by on 17-Sep-2008 05:11 PM

helophium, Jan 19, 2019
  4. thirdsun Win User

Does Apple Lossless Audio get transcoded during syncing? (Mac OSX 10.8.2 / WP Connector 3.0)

M4A for the original lossless files in my library. Once they are on the device, and obviously transcoded, I have no way of knowing.

Doesn't Apple Lossless always come in M4A format?

thirdsun, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I tell if a m4a container is lossless - Similar Threads - tell m4a container

2. Problem with file m4a

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with file m4a: I need to copy past a file m4a but I cannot do it from my phone to my pc. A message appears saying that the canal is already used while trying to do it. Yesterday I did the copy paste with success, but the file was smaller. Can you help me please? Ty...
  3. Problem with file m4a

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with file m4a: I need to copy past a file m4a but I cannot do it from my phone to my pc. A message appears saying that the canal is already used while trying to do it. Yesterday I did the copy paste with success, but the file was smaller. Can you help me please? Ty...
  4. Problem with file m4a

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?

How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?: I have encountered a problem, that is, when I create a folder, it will prompt me that it contains special characters. I want to know how windows system detects that a certain character is a special character. I want to judge this in advance instead of waiting for me to create...
  6. How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?: I have encountered a problem, that is, when I create a folder, it will prompt me that it contains special characters. I want to know how windows system detects that a certain character is a special character. I want to judge this in advance instead of waiting for me to create...
  7. How can I tell if I create a directory that contains special characters?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Playback of m4a file

Playback of m4a file: When I click on the file in file manager, Groove music opens. But file does not play. it allows me to advance the time slider, but playback does not occur. No change in elapsed time occurs....
  9. M4A Player Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    M4A Player Help: I am looking for a Windows 10 M4A player that will allow me to listen to an audio file and jump back 10 or 15 seconds. I have to transcribe the audio and am looking for a solution that is better than trying to rewind using just the playback bar. submitted by /u/danaCreative...
  10. Thumbnails for M4a files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails for M4a files?: Hi guys Should windows 10 (by default) be displaying thumbnails within explorer for m4a files? I'm browsing my iTunes media folder and I can see thumbnails only for .mp4, .mp3, .m4p but not for m4a. If I play an m4a file within media player or iTunes I can see the album...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to tell if itunes lossless