Windows 10: How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games?

Discus and support How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This recent Windows update is being installed when I am playing Overwatch, causing lag all session long (due to harddisk activity). 65420 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by trashcanbin10, Sep 29, 2016.

1. How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games?

This recent Windows update is being installed when I am playing Overwatch, causing lag all session long (due to harddisk activity).

:)

trashcanbin10, Sep 29, 2016
  2. garym123 Win User

how do I tell groove to only play downloaded music

On all displays , albums, artist, songs and playlists there is a 'refine' selection at the top.

Select - Refine, filter, only on this device.

In the last update the ability to share playlists was added. see menu, settings, What's new.

No other app is necessary for your music.

garym123, Sep 29, 2016
  3. Billy Med Win User
    how do I tell groove to only play downloaded music

Hi,

You can check this link
    about creating playlists for Groove.

Let us know how it goes.

Billy Med, Sep 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games?

Hi, you have stated the problem, but not the sort of solution you seek. I'll assume you want control of Windows update downloads.

This method is widely publicised and is one way to stop updates.

You would have to reverse it to allow updates, noting Defender updates are reliant on Windows updates.
    However, you can set up a scheduled task to update Defender independently of Windows Update.

Set your connection to metered to stop updates being downloaded
    This stops updates being downloaded and works for both ethernet
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-se...red-windows-10
    and Wifi
    How to set metered connections and disable Windows 10 Update Delivery Optimization | Windows Central

If you were to use a script to enable the setting, and another to disable it, that would be convenient.

Also see:
    Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    from the Tutorial section, which it's well worth being familiar with.

(IDKW STFU means. - I don't know what that means).

dalchina, Sep 29, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    S: Shut
    T: The
    U: Up

anything more violates the forum rules.

NavyLCDR, Sep 29, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I would consider them violated-- thanks!

dalchina, Sep 29, 2016
  7. Superfly Win User
    STFU = Stop The Freakin' (auto)Updates..

By way of digression...
    Personal choice is tha I block WU in firewall... but thougt I'd try WU again wth this CU.... Wow what a long-winded palava of configuring and stuff...on the positive side my drivers for the old laptop installed fine - used to fail before.

Apart from Office, quite happy downloaing the CU (cab or msu) instead - works much better.

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games?

1. How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games? - Similar Threads - tell STFU play

2. The internet cuts out when i play a game. How do i fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The internet cuts out when i play a game. How do i fix: Hello,Whenever i play a game mostly multiplayer the internet stops working and i have to keep reconnecting the internet. I have tried using my hotspot and tried home internet and it does it with both. How do i fix this?...
  3. The internet cuts out when i play a game. How do i fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The internet cuts out when i play a game. How do i fix: Hello,Whenever i play a game mostly multiplayer the internet stops working and i have to keep reconnecting the internet. I have tried using my hotspot and tried home internet and it does it with both. How do i fix this?...
  4. How do I fix BSOD when playing games that use EAC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix BSOD when playing games that use EAC?: I have been having this issue for the past few months but have been putting off fixing it until now. I have tried fixing it before by performing a memory test as I thought I had a bad RAM stick but according to the test everything ran fine. Previous to me posting this I found...
  5. How do I fix BSOD when playing games that use EAC?

How do I fix BSOD when playing games that use EAC?: I have been having this issue for the past few months but have been putting off fixing it until now. I have tried fixing it before by performing a memory test as I thought I had a bad RAM stick but according to the test everything ran fine. Previous to me posting this I found...
  6. How do I play SecuROM games on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I play SecuROM games on windows 10?: I have a few games on CD that use either safedisc, or securom DRM. I'm well aware that Microsoft has made this feature completely unavailable in modern operating systems, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to play the games I paid for.Some of them are available in places...
  7. How do I play SecuROM games on windows 10?

How do I play SecuROM games on windows 10?: I have a few games on CD that use either safedisc, or securom DRM. I'm well aware that Microsoft has made this feature completely unavailable in modern operating systems, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to play the games I paid for.Some of them are available in places...
  8. How do i lock my mouse when playing games?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do i lock my mouse when playing games?: After rebooting my laptop, my cursor started to not lock in place when playing first person games, causing me to accidentally close them multiple times, is it possible to fix this?...
  9. Is there a way to tell onedrive to stfu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to tell onedrive to stfu: Like I know I’m out of storage I don’t need massive red crosses next to files submitted by /u/Joemama7816 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mitdpt/is_there_a_way_to_tell_onedrive_to_stfu/
  10. How do I tell which app will allow me to play my game?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How do I tell which app will allow me to play my game?: I've got the game. Which app will allow me to play it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-tell-which-app-will-allow-me-to-play-my/1346d649-453b-4746-b07c-060790ae1c66