Windows 10: How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games?

Discus and support How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This recent Windows update is being installed when I am playing Overwatch, causing lag all session long (due to harddisk activity). 65420 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by trashcanbin10, Sep 29, 2016.

1. How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games?

This recent Windows update is being installed when I am playing Overwatch, causing lag all session long (due to harddisk activity).

:)

trashcanbin10, Sep 29, 2016
  2. garym123 Win User

how do I tell groove to only play downloaded music

On all displays , albums, artist, songs and playlists there is a 'refine' selection at the top.

Select - Refine, filter, only on this device.

In the last update the ability to share playlists was added. see menu, settings, What's new.

No other app is necessary for your music.

garym123, Sep 29, 2016
  3. Billy Med Win User
    how do I tell groove to only play downloaded music

Hi,

You can check this link
    about creating playlists for Groove.

Let us know how it goes.

Billy Med, Sep 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games?

Hi, you have stated the problem, but not the sort of solution you seek. I'll assume you want control of Windows update downloads.

This method is widely publicised and is one way to stop updates.

You would have to reverse it to allow updates, noting Defender updates are reliant on Windows updates.
    However, you can set up a scheduled task to update Defender independently of Windows Update.

Set your connection to metered to stop updates being downloaded
    This stops updates being downloaded and works for both ethernet
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-se...red-windows-10
    and Wifi
    How to set metered connections and disable Windows 10 Update Delivery Optimization | Windows Central

If you were to use a script to enable the setting, and another to disable it, that would be convenient.

Also see:
    Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    from the Tutorial section, which it's well worth being familiar with.

(IDKW STFU means. - I don't know what that means).

dalchina, Sep 29, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    S: Shut
    T: The
    U: Up

anything more violates the forum rules.

NavyLCDR, Sep 29, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I would consider them violated-- thanks!

dalchina, Sep 29, 2016
  7. Superfly Win User
    STFU = Stop The Freakin' (auto)Updates..

By way of digression...
    Personal choice is tha I block WU in firewall... but thougt I'd try WU again wth this CU.... Wow what a long-winded palava of configuring and stuff...on the positive side my drivers for the old laptop installed fine - used to fail before.

Apart from Office, quite happy downloaing the CU (cab or msu) instead - works much better.

Superfly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games?

1. How do I tell Windows to STFU when I play games? - Similar Threads - tell STFU play

2. How do i download the game?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i download the game?: I recently redeemed a code for a game meant for Windows 10 and i am trying to install it on PC. However, I redeemed it on an icloud email account and i did it on the website. I press 'Install/Play' and it takes me to the app and its an outlook account. I thought it would be...
  3. how do i get rid of games when i am playing solitaire they keep popping up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how do i get rid of games when i am playing solitaire they keep popping up: when i click on to play microsoft solitaire these stupid games keep popping up. so mit takes a while to ply solitaire what do i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-games-when-i-am-playing/3e2c8604-5daa-4202-9f2f-2b5ce3f7c610
  4. how do i play a video game without a disk drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i play a video game without a disk drive: i have a gaming pc with windows 10 version 1809 but i have no disk drive and i want to download games like ps1, ps2 and ps3 games but the pc version, so how can i play them without a disk drive, is there any kind of program i can use?...
  5. How do I tell if a m4a container is lossless

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I tell if a m4a container is lossless: G'day all; I download music from iTunes, but don't use the app (I use MusicBee). A real pain in that the iTunes app keeps defaulting my file structure back to factory with every update which seems to be every time I open it. But iTunes has a decent selection of music so I...
  6. how to play a game that i brought

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to play a game that i brought: how do i play a game that i brought with money https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-play-a-game-that-i-brought/abee30a5-b10c-4ed1-a493-c69e999cfa38
  7. how do I tell if I have the current version of framework.net?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I tell if I have the current version of framework.net?: how can I tell if I have the most current version of framework.net on my Windows 10 system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-do-i-tell-if-i-have-the-current-version-of/22266300-d961-42ce-b18a-9d1939802897
  8. How do I tell Windows 10 to not go into sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I tell Windows 10 to not go into sleep?: So the situation is, my laptop really likes to go into sleep after only two minutes of any kind of inactivity, even if there are apps running that are supposed to prevent this from happening. I saw on the Internet that the solution to this is to enable some hidden power...
  9. How do I play a DVD?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I play a DVD?: How do I play a DVD in Windows 10 Do I have to purchase a media player or can I do it for Free? 23536
  10. How can I tell.....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I tell.....: How can i tell if I have actually upgraded to the free upgrade to 10 pro; or whether I am still running the last insider version of 10240? I used the dvd/usb tool from the microsoft store to transfer the iso for 10 from the media creation tool to setup files and ran the setup...