Windows 10: How do I totally disable Edge browser?

Discus and support How do I totally disable Edge browser? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I thought I had disabled this browser when I setup my new Windows 10 OS upgrade. But every time I use Ccleaner I get a message that it is running and... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by lynspottery, Mar 18, 2016.

1. How do I totally disable Edge browser?

I thought I had disabled this browser when I setup my new Windows 10 OS upgrade. But every time I use Ccleaner I get a message that it is running and do I want to close it.

So how can I get rid of this problem?

:)

lynspottery, Mar 18, 2016

2. Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files - How do they occur?

Thanks for your response, although it states the obvious.

I know how to remove temporary internet files etc from any browser.

I do not use IE 11 (or Edge for that matter) I use either Firefox or Chrome for web browsing

I am wondering is how IE (when disabled) can continue to generate temporary internet files when it is not used - is there a way to
    totally disable IE & Edge as disabling IE under the Windows Features obviously hasn't worked.

Tony Marson, Mar 18, 2016
  3. alifor88 Win User
    Stop Microsoft Edge

How do I totally disable Microsoft Edge? in Win10. I want to use Internet Explorer for everything. I have checked Default Apps and changed everything to IE. But whenever I click any link, it opens Edge which is a terrible browser. Problems like this
    cause people ditch PC's and get Macs.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

alifor88, Mar 18, 2016
  4. How do I totally disable Edge browser?

That message is related to dllhost.exe, which is a system process like when you open properties of a file (shell).
    You can create a bat file to open CCleaner closing exe, then create a shortcut to it, so you can customize the icon.

taskkill /f /im dllhost.exe
    start "" "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe"

TairikuOkami, Mar 18, 2016
  5. But that doesn't address the initial issue of the Edge Browser running when I clearly disabled it when I upgraded to Win 10. I do not like to have programs installed and running when I distinctly disable or uninstall them. That defeats the purpose of the disable function.

There has got to be a way to get rid of that browser. I never liked the old IE browser from Microsoft either and never used it. I never had it running on my system so I do not understand why I cannot do the same with this "new" browser they have saddled us with.

Adjusting an .exe file is not my idea of a successful function.

lynspottery, Mar 19, 2016
  6. snoopy51 Win User
    Microsoft Edge is a "trusted" App and a core part of the Windows 10 Operating System. It is bundled in Windows 10 and can't be simply removed by conventional means, just like Internet Explorer could not be removed from previous versions of Windows by conventional means. If Windows needs to display a web page, you think that they go to Firefox, Chrome, Safari, other browsers. They simply use their own browser, Edge.

Since you did not start up Edge, may be something like a malware startup a browser session for you! We have no idea what is running in your machine!

How did you disabled Edge? What version of Windows 10 you are running, and you have a custom build machine. Any particular software and hardware you integrated into your system? Please tell us more so we can help you? Perhaps you did not disable Edge!

Have a wonderful day!

snoopy51, Mar 19, 2016
  7. I don't remember how I disabled Edge, but when I was setting up Win 10 I went through the settings profile and unchecked anything I would not use. I can't remember if there was a disable or just not installed option...I'll have to go back and check on that.

But this is a PITA and I really dislike having software running on my system I never use...especially when it runs in the background no matter what.

lynspottery, Mar 20, 2016
  8. snoopy51 Win User

How do I totally disable Edge browser?

As far as I know there is uninstall for Microsoft Edge from winaero.com. I have not try or work with it.

One thing you must keep in mind, Microsoft Edge is a core app of Windows 10 and programs are bound with it. You may have some instability or glitches on Windows 10 after you remove it. You are playing with fire now! Try at your own risk.

snoopy51, Mar 20, 2016
  9. Thank you for that insight. I understand the stability issue, but I think Microsoft really has just gotten to aggressive with "native" programs when a user decides not to use one they provide, opting for an alternate one instead.

lynspottery, Mar 20, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    +1 +1 +1

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I totally disable Edge browser?

1. How do I totally disable Edge browser? - Similar Threads - totally disable Edge

2. How do I disable edge updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable edge updates: I keep deleting edge but somehow it keeps coming back is there a toggle for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-edge-updates/ec2601d5-f38e-4dd6-965f-70999610ee83
  3. How do I disable edge updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I disable edge updates: I keep deleting edge but somehow it keeps coming back is there a toggle for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-edge-updates/ec2601d5-f38e-4dd6-965f-70999610ee83
  4. How do I disable Edge in Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I disable Edge in Windows 11.: Hello, I am Nischay from Nippon Alloys IncI got my new computer, a Falcon Talon, with an i9 processor, an RTX 3080 video card and 64 Gigs of superfast ram.It runs great, but Microsoft Edge is bugging me....
  5. How do I totally disable windows updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I totally disable windows updates: Hi,I am going to run a software I made, that will probably take days to finish. I need to totally disable the update feature because it makes the system reboot.I have so far been able to configure the update to wait for a week with no changes to the system, but I can't find a...
  6. How do I Totally Disable Windows Defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I Totally Disable Windows Defender?: I have Windows Defender turned off, but somehow it still manages to pop up blocking things I do not want blocked. I really ticks me off when my computer tells me what I can or cannot do. Does anyone know how to totally disable, block, remove Windows Defender? Thanks...
  7. How can I totally disable MS Edge?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I totally disable MS Edge?: Techniques offered to prevent MS Edge from booting automatically failed totally. Now I want to totally disable MS Edge. I am fed up. refer to:...
  8. Remove/Disable Edge Browser

in Cortana
    Remove/Disable Edge Browser: Please click following link to know the steps to Disable/Remove Edge Browser. Remove Edge_Click Here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removedisable-edge-browser/0200f164-fa1b-4c43-b359-044d85b00ede"
  9. How do I update Edge Browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I update Edge Browser: My Edge Browser is playing up something awful and not working very well at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-update-edge-browser/dbb266c3-acac-4053-8ba7-fff30af2f1bd
  10. How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    How to remove/disable Windows Edge browser?: Hi I am wanting to remove or at least disable edge browser in Windows 10. I will never use this web browser and so would like to get it out of the way. Thanks for the help*Smile 15999