Windows 10: How do I transfer Data from old HDD to new SSD with different sector sizes?

Discus and support How do I transfer Data from old HDD to new SSD with different sector sizes? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I have recently bought a new Samsung Evo 2TB SSD. I bought this to replace my old Hard drive as it is edging towards the end of its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mohanmehra, Feb 6, 2021.

1. How do I transfer Data from old HDD to new SSD with different sector sizes?

Hi there,

I have recently bought a new Samsung Evo 2TB SSD. I bought this to replace my old Hard drive as it is edging towards the end of its lifespan. However, whilst trying to clone the data and transfer it over to the new drive, there was a big problem in which it didn't let the data transfer over. This is due to the different sector sizes of the two drives. I have been told to do a full reset of my PC but I don't want to do this as it would take a while to reinstall everything and I simply don't have the time to do that.

Are there any other ways in which I can transfer the data from my old HDD to my new SSD?

Thanks

Mohan

:)

mohanmehra, Feb 6, 2021
  2. lacrumb Win User

Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

I would clone the HDD to the SSD. Then format the HDD and set up a number of partitions for the different kinds of data. Then move the data from the SSD to the different partitions on the HDD.

Then you might want to reduce the size of the C:\ partition and put a couple partitions on the SSD for those things that need the speed.

There are some free programs to do the clone. I use EaseUS ToDo Backup.

lacrumb, Feb 6, 2021
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

When you say 'recovered the image to the new SSD'. Did you clone from the HDD to new SSD, and why the round about method ?

I've never cloned to an external drive, with the exception of when the machine has an external hot swap SATA port, but I

have cloned from SSD to HDD and back again using a SATA connection without any issues.

The boot sector should get written to the new drive by the cloning software (I use AOEMI ). The software also sorts out

alignment differences between HDD and SSD.

If there is a problem booting with the new drive, if you swap the SATA ports so the new drive is connected to the port the

old was connected to and vice-versa, the boot sector should get written to the new drive when you reboot.

BossDweeb, Feb 6, 2021
  4. BossDweeb Win User

How do I transfer Data from old HDD to new SSD with different sector sizes?

Transferring everything from an old HDD to a new HDD

If all of your files/software are on the same partition as Windows they will be transferred to the new HDD when

your clone/image/migrate Win10 to the new HDD.

If you have data or software on a separate partition or HDD to Windows you can simply copy that data

to the new HDD.

Be careful to use the same drive letter for the partition that the data is stored on now in case there

is something that requires the original file path ( software in particular, but some data may as well ).

There are a number of cloning tools. I use the free version of AOEMI Partition Manager, but HDD mfg's

also have similar software available from mfg's web site.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

- I appreciate that 3TB may be more than enough space for your needs, but you should seriously consider

getting an SSD for Windows. 120GB is adequate, but 240GB is more cost effective per GB.

Of course this is a bit of a bother if you have everything on C:\ , but Windows loads faster and runs quicker

from and SSD. Once you've used Windows on an SSD you will never want to go back to HDD...

Sooo slow... Software also benefits some, but games are fine on an HDD as they only benefit from

slightly decreased loading times on SSD, and of course, data if fine stored on an HDD.

BossDweeb, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

How do I transfer Data from old HDD to new SSD with different sector sizes?

1. How do I transfer Data from old HDD to new SSD with different sector sizes? - Similar Threads - transfer Data old

2. Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd: I have HDD and SSD on my computer both have individual windows 10 OS. I can not run Windows from HDD only from SSD. Now i want to transfer all programs and data from HDD to SSD. thanks...
  3. Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer installed programs and data from HDD to SSd: I have HDD and SSD on my computer both have individual windows 10 OS. I can not run Windows from HDD only from SSD. Now i want to transfer all programs and data from HDD to SSD. thanks...
  4. Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD: Hi!Im about to buy 1TB SSD and want to transfer everything to it from my HDD. My question is, is it possible? I dont want to lose data,or licence key of Windows.Best regards,Nándor...
  5. Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD: Hi!Im about to buy 1TB SSD and want to transfer everything to it from my HDD. My question is, is it possible? I dont want to lose data,or licence key of Windows.Best regards,Nándor...
  6. Files and Windows data transfer from the HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How Do I Transfer Windows 10 From HDD to SSD Without Losing Data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Do I Transfer Windows 10 From HDD to SSD Without Losing Data: Hello, I've seen people have seperate storage devices for their os and their data, so I wanted to do the same. Currently, I have a 2 tb hdd I've only used about 270 gb, and I wanted to upgrade to an ssd for the faster experience. However, I do not want to lose my Windows 10...
  8. How do I transfer drivers from HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I transfer drivers from HDD to SSD?: I’m currently running a hard disk as a main boot drive. I have all my drivers on it but I wanted to run an SSD for faster boot time and better performance. Is there a way to avoid driver hunting and just move all of my drivers on a boot SSD? submitted by /u/yagop1 [link]...
  9. How do i transfer data from old pc to new pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i transfer data from old pc to new pc: how do transfer data from old pc to new pc ...both using windows * Moved from Education https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-transfer-data-from-old-pc-to-new-pc/e08239d7-1014-4f63-8e61-8b0d9af90618"
  10. How do I transfer all content from SSD to HDD and delete old files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I transfer all content from SSD to HDD and delete old files: Hi i'm on Windows 10 on a 240gb ssd, I want to transfer to an WD caviar blue-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218 I don't know if I should boot from the hdd, but when I plugged it in, it had all the old files from my previous pc and is split into...