Windows 10: HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows

Discus and support HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; According to this Microsoft Community thread:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by alpha, Jul 30, 2015.

1. alpha Win User

HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows

According to this Microsoft Community thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-transfer-windows-retail-license-after/6ee1dfe0-8adc-4cce-a46a-748963cf56d1?rtAction=1438237655029

when we upgrade Retail Win 7/8.1 to Win 10, we don't actually get a Win 10 retail license that would allow us to install Win 10 on a new machine? (assuming current machine with upgraded Win 10 breaks down completely after 2 years)

If that's the case, we upgraded users would have to buy Win 10 license some years down the road when upgrade or replace our machines...

:)

alpha, Jul 30, 2015

2. WIndows 7 pro retail upgrade to Windows 10

It still does not explain how to transfer the license, there is no answer about that, and it's a concern for me, if I upgrade a Windows 7 retail license, I intend to be able to transfer it easily, that's the only advantage to have a retail license. OEM is
    tied to hardware, RETAIL is NOT, how do I get my Windows 10 retail key from upgrading my Windows 7 retail key, which I will need when I will transfer the license to be able to install ?

What I'm asking for, is a detailed procedure on how to transfer my Windows retail license to a new PC, admitting that the other PC does not exist anymore, so far, there are no answer to that, and that's a requirement for a RETAIL license, to know how to
    install it on a new PC.

FredericBerbigier, Jul 30, 2015
  3. xfer of windows 10

The ability to transfer your Windows 10 license will depend on how Windows 10 was configured on your computer.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Retail - can transfer it

OEM - cannot transfer it

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Alpha,

The activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers, and is referenced by the hardware (motherboard/CPU/graphics card serial numbers) of the PC it was upgraded on.

Unfortunately, it is tied to the same PC. If you replace the PC, you may need to purchase Windows 10 for it if you can't get it to activate by phone.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading with free upgrade?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Windowz10 Win User
    Typically the only upgrades that will trigger de-activation would be replacing the motherboard/cpu and/or NIC.

For complete replacements you are correct. Brink's last paragraph has the crux of it- you have to contact microsoft to adjust your key activation to the new hardware. However, that was already the case with substantial changes/replacement prior to Windows 10.

Windowz10, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Read further down the replies. Shawn Keane gives you the method to transfer the license.

Mystere, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Windowz10 Win User
    Gotta love the even the MS support people are confused about it.

The ultimate answer makes sense though. Basically, as long as you wipe out the OS on your prior computer, you can use it on your new computer- which has always been the case with full retail versions.

Windowz10, Jul 30, 2015
  8. alpha Win User

Well the bold part is the tricky part. Firstly from this well-referenced Microsoft Community FAQ thread,

Frequently Asked Questions Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

(quote)

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.
    If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):
    - Includes transfer rights to another computer.
    - Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.
    - Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):
    - Includes transfer rights to another computer.
    - require a previous qualifying version of Windows.
    - Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :
    OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:
    - OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel
    - OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on
    - OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard
    - OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

(end quote)

I'm talking about Retail license here. If 1 year from now, my PC breaks down and I build a new one from scratch, how am I going to activate my upgraded Win 10 on this new PC when you don't even have the unique product key to do the phone activation thingy? (did it before for my Win 7 under the same circumstance). And if you can't do this, then the above statements about license upgrade (retail to retail, OEM to OEM) are misleading.

From further replies from the moderator Shawn in that thread I provided,

HOW do I transfer windows after upgrading to - Microsoft Community

(quote)

Since this is an upgrade only offer, it works differently than in the past.

• You have 7 or 8.1 today.
    • When you do your upgrade to Windows 10, it knows you had a qualifying existing version (reads your old product key from either the system or your firmware). When it activates, the activation server stores a record of the old an your Windows 10 key. At this point, you can safely install again onto the same computer cleanly, and it will still activate (so you never have to install 7/8 first again, the activation server will allow the clean install of 10).
    None of the above is disputed, this is widely documented and reported. The question is about transferring it to another new computer later.

Windows 10 upgrade is tied to your original OS, so you need to first know if you're allowed to transfer that. If your old 7/8.1 came with that computer, it's an OEM license and you stop right here, it can't go to a new PC at all, and so neither can your Windows 10 upgrade that is tied to it.

If your Windows 7/8 is a full (non-upgrade) version (purchased at retail for example), it can be transferred. We already know this as well (as long as you remove it from the old machine, you can install it somewhere else).

The question is, once you've upgraded it to Windows 10, can you install Windows 10 somewhere else (provided, of course, that you remove it from the original PC first*). From a license perspective I believe that you can, but the activation server isn't going to allow it. In the past you could call and they would reset the counter if you told them that you removed it from the old PC, but I don't know if that works in 10 with the "for the life of the device" clause in there.

So, it's this bold point that I'm trying to confirm the validity of inside Microsoft.

(end quote)

So no one in Microsoft is clear about how this license transfer is going to work, assuming Shawn works there. And you can see it in this dialogue which is posted in the same thread by sasha zyryanov when he called tech support

(quote)

- Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk! I'm Patrick B. How may I help you with your Windows software today?
    - Good day. I plan to upgrade from Windows 7 Retail to Windows 10. According to the license agreement I can transfer the license to another device ("If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you"). However when you upgrade to Windows 10 unique product key is not given to you. How, without a product key, can I transfer Windows 10 license to a new computer?
    - Hmmm, Wouldn't turn out Well alexander as you can see the Product key of your Windows 10 Will be Registered in your Hardware, if you're going to transfer your License to another computer I suggest that you buy a Windows 10 Retail CD instead.
    - Buing CD isn't free. Since I already have transferable Windows 10 license I'll want to use it.
    - I see, let me think of something else. Can you provide me your Product key so I can check the status of it?
    - Not at this moment, sorry.
    - I see, what I suggest for you to do is to Install Windows 7 in your other computer and upgrade it to Windows 10 After.
    - Right now I'm curious about the future. I'll certainly upgrade my PC in a couple of years and I want to be sure, that my OS will be transferable. I heard that for license transfer you'll have to reinstall Windows 7/8.1 on another PC and reupgrade it to Windows 10. I just need a confirmation that I will be able to freely upgrade to Windows 10 the same Windows 7/8.1 key after 1 year form today. If you don't know the answer yet, that's fine (looks like nobody does). In that case please bring Microsoft's attention to this subject. An official guide or FAQ will be very nice.
    - Once you upgraded your software to Windows 10 your Product key will also be upgraded, that's when the time where you can transfer your license.
    - Ok, but how will I get Windows 10 key? My friend have upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro Retail to Windows 10 and he wasn't provided with unique Windows 10 key. And the system itsel has only generic product key.
    - The product of your Windows 7 would be the product key that you'll be using as well since it would be the one that would be going to be upgraded to Windows 10 product key.
    - So, I will be able to enter my Windows 7 product key for Windows 10 activation? I've heard that this is not working.
    - Yes, it would work Alexander.

- Ok, thanks.

(end quote)

The bold part, which everyone knows, does not work for now.

alpha, Jul 31, 2015
  9. Here is my take of this. From another post:

Think of the Win10 UPGRADE as simply an update patch on top of Windows 8.1 to make it look like Win10. Lets call it Win8.1++. Don't think of it as a COMPLETELY NEW INSTALL of Win10 because it isn't! It only has a generic product key and it does not have a way of doing a clean install by just using a Win7/Win 8.1 product key on a new computer. Like any other retail copy of Win8.1 that you want to move to a new computer, you first have to do a clean install of Win8.1 then run updates on it including the one to make it LOOK LIKE Win10 (Win8.1++). Of course, you need to wipe the old copy of Win8.1++ off of the original machine as well. Simple enough. Oh, and you only have a year to play with it before the win10 update patch for Win8.1 that turns it into Win8.1++ goes away so no more transfers to a new computer (unless MS once again changes the rules or make exceptions).

If you want a real, complete retail version of Windows 10 with all its rights and privileges including the ability for a clean install on a new computer, then you have to buy Windows 10 Pro for $199 which will give you a unique, valid Windows 10 product key.

John Pombrio, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows - Similar Threads - transfer retail license

2. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  3. Retail license transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retail license transfer: Hi, I just changed to a completely different PC. I want my Windows 11 Pro license on the new one. What should I do? It is a retail key, I checked with command prompt and some commands I don't remember now....
  4. How to transfer retail license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one of my microsoft accounts which I'm not using any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  5. How to transfer retail license.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one my my microsft accounts which I'm not using it any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  6. How to transfer retail license.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer retail license.: Hello,So I have Win 10 retail license assigned to one my my microsft accounts which I'm not using it any more. Is there a way to transfer that license to a different account.Best Regards....
  7. Windows 10 Home retail license transfer

Windows 10 Home retail license transfer: Hi, I run into a problem, that I cant seem to find a way to transfer my retail non OEM license between my old laptop witch I will no longer use and new one i bought recently. Old laptop has windows activated, new one - not. Before I installed new laptop with win10 I...
  8. Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring Windows 10 license that was an upgrade from a Windows 7 retail.: I bought a retail copy of Win 7 Ultimate in 2009 to install on a new desktop build, then in 2014 I upgraded the mobo/cpu/ram and simply kept the same OS drive during the upgrade. I'd been running windows 7 until a few years ago until I accepted the free upgrade to windows 10,...
  9. How To Transfer Retail Windows 10 License Key

How To Transfer Retail Windows 10 License Key: I'm building a new computer and would like to transfer my RETAIL Windows 10 license key to the new computer. However, I don't have my Windows key anymore. How can I transfer that key to the new computer?...
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license: Hello. I've recently bought a new laptop to replace a stolen one. The new laptop unfortunately comes with Windows 10 Home, and to enable disk encryption I'd need a Pro licence. In the stolen laptop, I had a full price retail Windows 8 licence, later upgraded to 8.1 and 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transfer license after upgrade from retail