Windows 10: How do I troubleshoot sudden random shutdowns?

Discus and support How do I troubleshoot sudden random shutdowns? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Over the last few days my PC has been randomly shutting down. The screen goes black and the drive turns off. It will run for several hours and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Alicia J, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Alicia J Win User

How do I troubleshoot sudden random shutdowns?

Over the last few days my PC has been randomly shutting down. The screen goes black and the drive turns off. It will run for several hours and then shutdown. I have not installed any new hardware or software lately that I can attribute this to.

When this happens and I turn it back on, it boots up slowly and then shuts down again shortly after. If I wait a few hours and turn it on, it can then stay on for some hours.

How should I begin to troubleshoot this issue? Should I be monitoring CPU temperature and fan speed? What software would you recommend to do this?

What else should I be checking?

Thanks

:)

Alicia J, Sep 30, 2018

2. Windows 10 Stuck on Repair, getting random shutdown.

We just want to verify a few things about the issue you're having with the issue that's going on on your PC. Please provide answers to the questions below:

• Can you tell us what were the troubleshooting steps that you have done so far?
    • About the random shutdown, is this concern happening prior to the update?

We'll wait for your reply.

Robert Caw, Sep 30, 2018
  3. R-T-B Win User
    PC is Suffering Unexpected Shutdowns

Most important detail to me would be whether these shutdowns are sudden, in which case it's likely a short or PSU issue (capacitor aging maybe?) or graceful windows style shutdowns, which suggests software interference.

It could also be overheating components if it's a sudden shutdown. What are your thermals like?

R-T-B, Sep 30, 2018
  4. How do I troubleshoot sudden random shutdowns?

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

How do I troubleshoot sudden random shutdowns?

1. How do I troubleshoot sudden random shutdowns? - Similar Threads - troubleshoot sudden random

2. Desktop will randomly shutdown, how can I fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop will randomly shutdown, how can I fix this?: Usually happens after I attempt to close down a game but has also happened while just watching youtube with other software discord, steam, razer, ahk open in the background.I also have below a list the minidump found in C windows minidump from the event viewers logs...
  3. Sudden Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sudden Shutdown: Hi. I have looked at a couple of other threads on this but none seem to indicate a possible solution. I wonder if anyone can assist. I am trying to sort out my daughters computer, which has an annoying habit of suddenly shutting down. I have recently reinstalled everything in...
  4. How do I update and shutdown.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I update and shutdown.: My update and shutdown option it's gone now all I have it's update and restart, that would be fine, but I'm having problem with my PC boots files, and I have yet to managed to resolved the problem fully. For some reason my PC when restart instead of shut down, it would get...
  5. Sudden Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sudden Shutdowns: I started using my aunt's laptop recently and it shuts down whenever I use it- be it playing a game called League of Legends or simply using the browser. It thought it might be a case of over heating but it shuts down despite being cool to the touch. I took a look at the...
  6. How do I reboot / shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I reboot / shutdown: How do Reboot or Shutdown my PC without having all of my previously open windows or programs reopen as soon as I sign back in? submitted by /u/cjbravo1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hr1wwn/how_do_i_reboot_shutdown/
  7. Random shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random shutdown: Hi, I am experiencing a weird issue where my screen is randomly showing me "locking" and then shuts down. When I then boot my computer again, I get a message from the BIOS stating that it lost contact with the operating system. This happens every 2-3 hours or so. Could you...
  8. Sudden shutdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sudden shutdown: Hi, I have a problem, my surface pro 7 sudden shutdown when I do no activity for less than a minute. Please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/sudden-shutdown/763053da-4505-4c92-9810-e876029cc31d
  9. Random Shutdowns

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random Shutdowns: So, I work in the I.T. department for a large company and we are all baffled by this new issue. We ordered a handful of OptiPlex 7050's because we need the large case for cards. I installed Windows 10 Enterprise, then I installed a secondary NIC and a NVIDIA QUADRO K620. I...
  10. Random Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Shutdowns: Laptop, Dell Studio 1555, Previously running Win7 Ultimate and had no issues regarding random shutdowns. Upgraded to Win10 Pro, then wiped drive and clean installed Win10 Pro. No issues during installation. No issues with device drivers. No other software installed....