Windows 10: How do I turn my primary Microsoft account from a Child account into an Adult account?

Discus and support How do I turn my primary Microsoft account from a Child account into an Adult account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, Several years ago when making an Xbox account for the first time, I had to have my dad create a parent Microsoft account to help manage my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Afton LaMere, Apr 20, 2020.

1. How do I turn my primary Microsoft account from a Child account into an Adult account?

Hi,

Several years ago when making an Xbox account for the first time, I had to have my dad create a parent Microsoft account to help manage my profile. The years have passed and I am now a 21 year old adult.

However, my Microsoft account and therefore Xbox account does not seem to recognize the fact that I am considered an adult despite my birthday being correct in the account, basically saying it is a child account. I still have my dad's parent Microsoft account as an adult/parental account when I look at My Family on my Microsoft account profile. Since my dad made the account only for my Xbox profile, he has never used it for anything else, and I have full access to his account.

This parent account seems to be causing a few problems for my Microsoft account on my computer, such as an error at the top of the page in Windows Settings > Accounts > Family & Other Users that says, "We couldn't connect to Microsoft Family right now, so your Family on this device might not be up to date." It also shows that my dad's parent account "Can't sign in".

Therefore, my main problem is that I want to remove my current Microsoft account and Xbox account from the connection to the parent account and to stop being a child account.

Before anyone suggests an answer or support page for me to look at:

- I have looked online and understand that one way to fix this is by simply changing the birthday date on the child account. This does not seem to fix anything as I am already over the age of 13 and 18.

- I have found that one solution is by removing consent for the child Microsoft account to exist by using the parent account to do this.

I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE/DELETE MY MICROSOFT ACCOUNT IF THAT'S WHAT THAT PROCESS ENTAILS. I just finished waiting 2 months to delete a second Microsoft account and merge it's email to be the primary one for my current Microsoft account, of which was unknown to be a child account at the time. I do not want to have to go through more problems just because of a super duper extra security feature Microsoft seems to have set up for parent and child accounts. I already have at least 4 devices using my 'child' Microsoft account.

- I also understand that removing a parent account from a child account on the Xbox will not allow the child account to change content settings. This means that a new parent account has to be made to help manage that.

Let me know if more information from me is needed. I just want a single adult account.

:)

Afton LaMere, Apr 20, 2020

2. Does a child account automatically become an adult account?

How does a child account become a normal adult account? Is this something that happens automatically at a certain age? Or do I as head family account holder have to initiate something?

The reason I ask is because trying to use Edge on a child account is proving tiresome. Despite deleting my son's child account and re-creating it we are launching Edge and it is taking from anywhere between 10 seconds to a minute to become usable. When I say useable I mean the ability to surf, the actual browser is launched and you can go into settings etc BUT no web pages will load despite even typing web addresses in. It's as if Edge is waiting for MS server side to give it some kind of approval before it will allow any web activity. Once it's up and running it's fine but closing the browser session and relaunching Edge will bring back the long delay. Our adult accounts have no such issue using edge. Trying Mozilla Firefox on the child account also poses no such problems. We have no child restrictions setup online for the child account. So really he should be able to use Edge freely. But I feel the activity monitoring is somehow stifling the ability to use Edge.

If it doesn't improve I feel like abandoning the child account and just having him use an adult account instead. At least then Edge will start working quicker. But how does one convert child account to adult account. Or do we have to wait several years for his age to tick over?

Cheers,
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Apr 20, 2020
  3. Changing Adult Account to Child Account

Hi Peter,

To rectify your issue in converting an account from child/teen to an adult, we suggest that you try these steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
    • Click Accounts.
    • Click Family and other users on the left pane.
    • Select the adult account and click Change account type.

In addition you may also check this
    Forum article
    to know more details about Family Safety: Frequently Asked Questions.

Let us know how that turned out for you.

Marilou Ser, Apr 20, 2020
  4. aegiswiz Win User

How do I turn my primary Microsoft account from a Child account into an Adult account?

Adult account listed as child. Child account listed as adult.

I want to change my child account into my adult account.

In truth, there is no child. Both accounts are my adult account. I had not a clue when creating accounts or even know I was creating them. Now I know, the email account I've had since before microsoft bought Hotmail, has always been my primary account.
    On an old computer some computer generations ago when microsoft was being excessively obnoxious and insisted on having me "log in", I opened a different account to 'sign in' with. Now I see how totally screwed up things are viewed from microsoft's perspective,
    I thought I ought to fix it before something massively ridiculous and nightmarish happens.

I don't care that I have and adult and a child account. But the adult account is the one I signed up for arbitrarily several computer generations ago and I've lost the password at least twice and suspect there may even be another email attached to that
    one that I never use. I just want to fix it. If I delete the adult, which is actually the child, I'm confident microsoft could never fix it in my lifetime and I'll be stuck changing the email account I've had since before microsoft bought it in order to
    try to fix something that seems to me to be so simple.

It isn't about any category. I is microsoft accounts. You're nagging me that I have family, which is how I figured out how screwed up your records about me are.

Is there hope? I hope that any replies will go to the real adult, which is listed as a child...

aegiswiz, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

How do I turn my primary Microsoft account from a Child account into an Adult account?

1. How do I turn my primary Microsoft account from a Child account into an Adult account? - Similar Threads - turn primary Microsoft

2. Child account for an Adult

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Child account for an Adult: I was an idiot in 2018 when I created my Microsoft account and put my date of birth as the year I bought the laptop instead of the year of my actual birth in my haste to log into my pc. Now with the family settings and my account as a child account I cannot use it. My partner...
  3. Child account for an Adult

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Child account for an Adult: I was an idiot in 2018 when I created my Microsoft account and put my date of birth as the year I bought the laptop instead of the year of my actual birth in my haste to log into my pc. Now with the family settings and my account as a child account I cannot use it. My partner...
  4. Child account for an Adult

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Adult account displays as child account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adult account displays as child account: Hi. I'd like to ask someone for help with Windows 10 and a new account creation.I need to add two accounts - for my wife and for my daughter. Daughter's account is set as a child account, and that's correct.But when I try to add another account for my wife, she is also added...
  6. How do I change my Microsoft Account from Child to Adult

How do I change my Microsoft Account from Child to Adult: Hi All,I have searched everywhere to change my microsoft account from my child as being the administrator to the adult. The information on the Microsoft page doesn't work and I am getting nowhere with this. Can anyone please explain how I get this changed.Thank you...
  7. How to turn an adult account to a child account

How to turn an adult account to a child account: Hi there Microsoft! 1 year ago, I bought a Xbox for my son. He wanted to play with his friends so I made an account for him. How can I turn an adult account to a child account. Also if it is possible I would like to supervise my child....
  8. Child account to Adult?

Child account to Adult?: Hi, I am trying to attach my Xbox account to my Epic Games account for my Rocket League rewards, but it won't let me. After contacting Rocket League's support team, they told me the error code I am receiving is related to my account being a child account. My birthday is...
  9. Removing Child Microsoft Account from Adult Parent Account and make Child Account an Adult...

Removing Child Microsoft Account from Adult Parent Account and make Child Account an Adult...: Hi, Several years ago when making an Xbox account for the first time, I had to have my dad create a parent Microsoft account to help manage my profile. The years have passed and I am now a 21 year old adult. However, my Microsoft account and therefore Xbox account does...
  10. How to change a child account to an adult account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to change a child account to an adult account?: My account is set as a child account and i want to change it to an adult account but i don't know how. On other posts i saw you have to wait till the birth date is 18+ or something but it is set as the year 1979. Btw i play on pc not xbox 360 or one. Please help!...