Windows 10: How do I turn off OneDrive and store files locally?

Discus and support How do I turn off OneDrive and store files locally? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there,I started using OneDrive to backup my documents and I have encountered some issues, both caused by the same problem: OneDrive has moved files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AJP_850, Jun 28, 2021.

1. AJP_850 Win User

How do I turn off OneDrive and store files locally?

Hi there,I started using OneDrive to backup my documents and I have encountered some issues, both caused by the same problem: OneDrive has moved files within my documents area to a different path. One application has stopped working completely, another won’t open my projects because paths to other files they reference have changed. OneDrive doesn’t appear to let me choose which documents it handles, so I don’t think I have much choice but to remove it. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be very easy.I saw an article about moving files from one library to another in Explorer, but OneDrive is t

:)

AJP_850, Jun 28, 2021
  2. dgwalter Win User

Issues while playing Music files using Windows Media Player that are stored in OneDrive

Responses:

1. Windows 10 Version 1903
      1. OS Build 18362.418
    2. The error does not occur with locally saved files
      1. Locally saved files meaning files that are not stored in OneDrive. All of the files in OneDrive are also local in the sense that they are saved on the computer and not downloaded from the cloud when they are played.
    I will try reinstalling WMP 12.

dgwalter, Jun 28, 2021
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Reset the on line OneDrive file store completely

Is it possible to completely reset the OneDrive on line storage back to it was when 1st created.

I would like to

1. Copy all the files to my local stores, not the client folders for OneDrive.
    2. Reset the OneDrive stores both locally and on the Microsoft Servers so they are empty and any defaults set back.
    3. Put back the files in a planned process on my main computer and let the sync process repopulate the on line folders.
    4. Re-install Windows10 on my other 2 computers and let them resync from the clean stores
    The alternative seems to be create a completely new Microsoft Account which I am trying to avoid.

HairyFool, Jun 28, 2021
  4. How do I turn off OneDrive and store files locally?

File History Backup and Local OneDrive Files

I know there have been a number of posts about issues with File History Backup.
    File History is a nice feature in Windows 10. It serves as a file backup system as well as a convenient way to restore files to previous versions through the File Explorer.
    I hope Microsoft chooses to improve the feature rather than abandon it as some have suggested they might.

I had been having problems using file history with some files not showing up in history, so I decided to do a fresh start and look more closely at what was going on.
    I was moving to a new computer, so it was a good time to start over.
    I erased all the files on the external backup drive (WD MyBook Duo)
    and configured File History on the new computer to back up both folders that are stored only on my hard drive and the local folders that are used for the OneDrive. I did this after moving files from the old computer to the new computer, so there were
    plenty of files to be backed-up. The OneDrive is configured to “Always Keep on this device” all the files that are associated with the OneDrive folders, so all OneDrive files are stored locally in a folder that is included in the File History
    Backup configuration.

After configuring, I pressed “Back up now“ , the backup ran successfully, and the backup updates the files every hour as configured.
    The backup is configured to “Keep my backups Until space is needed”.

After the backup completed, what I see if I either right click a file and click “Restore previous version”
    or go into the File History window (click on “Restore files from a current backup” in the Backup Options window) is a listing for every file that was backed up for all folders except for the files that are in the OneDrive folder.
    For the OneDrive folder, I only see files in History if the file has bee modified or moved since File History Backup was first run.
    If the file has been modified multiple times, then all versions show up in History correctly, but the file does not show up in history until it has been re-saved or moved at least one time.
    Is this the way File History was intended to work? Is this what others are seeing?

I would like a local backup for all my local files, even those that are on the OneDrive (and stored locally).
    Files that are stored on the OneDrive are also on the cloud drive, so there is a way to recover these files, but I still expected these files to be included in the File History backup, or at least be given the option to include these files when configuring
    the backup.

Thomas Fetter, Jun 28, 2021
Thema:

How do I turn off OneDrive and store files locally?

1. How do I turn off OneDrive and store files locally? - Similar Threads - turn off OneDrive

2. how do I save locally and not with onedrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I save locally and not with onedrive?: I have uninstalled OneDrive and it still continues to save everything in OneDrive. I deleted a OneDrive file thinking that would help and lost my desktop. unfortunately, I had to permanently delete that so I'm assuming that's gone for good....
  3. How do I get files off onedrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get files off onedrive?: Got a new lenovo laptop and transferred over alll my files from my old one - now coming to understand it automatically saved to onedrive instead of my desktop? So, I don't want to buy more onedrive storage, everything I have is already backed up in the google cloud. So I now...
  4. How do I get files off onedrive?

How do I get files off onedrive?: Got a new lenovo laptop and transferred over alll my files from my old one - now coming to understand it automatically saved to onedrive instead of my desktop? So, I don't want to buy more onedrive storage, everything I have is already backed up in the google cloud. So I now...
  5. Can I use OneDrive offline files stored locally and Keep OneDrive "data-type" files off the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I use OneDrive offline files stored locally and Keep OneDrive "data-type" files off the...: First, I'd like to mention that I try to keep my "data" type files in a separate Drive Partition from the default C drive which contains the Windows OS and all the Apps that of course involve the Registry I will refer here to the collection as "SYSTEM files". There are at...
  6. Can I use OneDrive offline files stored locally and Keep OneDrive "data-type" files off the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use OneDrive offline files stored locally and Keep OneDrive "data-type" files off the...: First, I'd like to mention that I try to keep my "data" type files in a separate Drive Partition from the default C drive which contains the Windows OS and all the Apps that of course involve the Registry I will refer here to the collection as "SYSTEM files". There are at...
  7. Can I use OneDrive offline files stored locally and Keep OneDrive "data-type" files off the...

8. How do I keep files off onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I keep files off onedrive: I keep getting messages saying onedrive is full. And I keep moving files to folders on my C drive. BUT THEY KEEP SHOWING UP. How do I stop this? There are many files I want on my PC, which I DO NOT want on onedrive. Period. This is getting to be a real pain. If it comes...
  9. How Do I Turn OFF OneDrive and Save Items JUST to Folders on my LOCAL Drive?

How Do I Turn OFF OneDrive and Save Items JUST to Folders on my LOCAL Drive?: Hey all, I don't use the OneDrive feature. I don't move items to my phone from my laptop and I don't have any other computers that I need to sync files to. Each time I go to save a picture I have to check and see that it's the PICTURE folder that's located on my local...
  10. How do I turn off OneDrive/

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I turn off OneDrive/: I have no use for this. However, no matter what I am doing, typing a letter, browsing on-line, playing a game, I get a pop-up asking me to set up OneDrive. I'm tired of this. Looking on-line says it cannot be deleted. But, now I'm getting a notice that I have a new OneDrive...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Does one drive copy files if not configured