Windows 10: How do I turn the system icon for sound on (currently off; greyed out)

Discus and support How do I turn the system icon for sound on (currently off; greyed out) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For some unknown reason, the system icon for sound no longer displays on my task bar. I went into Properties, Notification area 'Customize', Turn... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tohashome, Oct 8, 2015.

1. tohashome Win User

How do I turn the system icon for sound on (currently off; greyed out)

For some unknown reason, the system icon for sound no longer displays on my task bar. I went into Properties, Notification area 'Customize', Turn System Icons On or Off, see that the Volume is turned off, but it's greyed out and I can't turn it on. I can't figure out how to activate this switch so I can flip it on. Anyone know why this might have occurred and how to fix it? Thanks!

:)

tohashome, Oct 8, 2015
  2. TJ2VEGAS Win User

Windows 10 Missing and greyed out volume icon fix!

Help! I'm also having trouble with a greyed out volume button since the Windows 10 upgrade on

September 17. When I go into Settings, Taskbar, Turn System Icons on or off, the volume button is greyed out. What can I do to change that?

TJ2VEGAS, Oct 8, 2015
  3. Volume Icon missing Windows 10

<p>Upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't get the volume icon to display in the system tray on the task bar. The turn on/off switch is greyed out in 'Turn System Icons On or Off' section of Settings, so I can't turn it on from there. How do I get the volume
    icon back in the system tray so I can easily adjust the volume level?

James L. Rederburg, Oct 8, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 8, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    Did the sound ever work on the laptop under Windows 10?

I've gotten a grayed-out control when there were no drivers installed for the sound device.

If that's your problem, I'm not sure what to suggest. The latest drivers at HP are for Windows 7:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59154.exe

(Dated from 2012). You could try them, perhaps installing them in compatibility mode.

bobkn, Oct 8, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 9, 2015
  7. tohashome Win User
    Thanks. Restarting didn't do anything. I also followed the path laid out in the 'Windows 10 System Icons in notification Area Are Greyed Out' link.

• Hold down the Windows Key and press the “R” key the bring up the Run window.
    • Type “regedit“, then select “OK“.
    • Navigate through the registry to the following location:
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USER
      • Software
      • Classes
      • Local Settings
      • Software
      • Microsoft
      • Windows
      • CurrentVersion
      • TrayNotify
    • Look for two values. One named “iconstreams” and “PastIconStream“. Right-click and select “Delete” each value to remove them from the registry.
    Everything was going fine until I clicked on the 'CurrentVersion' folder. 'TrayNotify' wasn't listed at all. The only folder displaying was 'Deployment.'

tohashome, Oct 10, 2015
  8. tohashome Win User

Thanks, but link not found. Not Found

The requested URL /pub/softpaq/sp59001-59500/sp59154.exe was not found on this server.

tohashome, Oct 10, 2015
  9. tohashome Win User
    Yes, I did used to have a sound icon after the installation of Windows 10. All of a sudden, it wasn't there any longer. Again, I see the toggle is greyed out to flip it on again. I just don't know how to ungrey it so I can activate the icon again. Puzzling.

tohashome, Oct 10, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    I think you clicked on one a wrong reg key, There is no Deployment under TrayNotify:

How do I turn the system icon for sound on (currently off; greyed out) [​IMG]

Ztruker, Oct 10, 2015
  11. bobkn Win User
    Sorry. I usually check links to verify that they work before allowing a post to stand, but I didn't do it this time.

The link at the HP support site appears to not work. I didn't find a good link to sp59154.exe, but it may be out there.

bobkn, Oct 11, 2015
  12. Try to run CMD and enter following, then restart.

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "10000" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f

TairikuOkami, Oct 11, 2015
  13. tohashome Win User

Thanks. You're right, I probably did click on a wrong reg key. I went back through the path and deleted the two reg entries per below, restarted, and this did fix the problem and displayed the speaker icon in the task bar again:

I also followed the path laid out in the 'Windows 10 System Icons in notification Area Are Greyed Out' link.

• Hold down the Windows Key and press the “R” key the bring up the Run window.
    • Type “regedit“, then select “OK“.
    • Navigate through the registry to the following location:
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USER
      • Software
      • Classes
      • Local Settings
      • Software
      • Microsoft
      • Windows
      • CurrentVersion
      • TrayNotify
    • Look for two values. One named “iconstreams” and “PastIconStream“. Right-click and select “Delete” each value to remove them from the registry.

Thank you! Also thanks to everyone who contributed toward a solution. Sincerely appreciate it!

tohashome, Oct 12, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Good job! Persistence pays off (some times) *Smile

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I turn the system icon for sound on (currently off; greyed out) - Similar Threads - turn system icon

2. How do I turn-off this sound-effect?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I turn-off this sound-effect?: I use the accessibility-function of the Number-Pad that allows it to be used as mouse-buttons: "5" for click, "+" for double-click, etc. . In the Blender app I have to toggle that function a lot using the "Num Lock" key, as in Blender the Number-Pad has the function of...
  3. How do I turn-off this sound-effect?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn-off this sound-effect?: I use the accessibility-function of the Number-Pad that allows it to be used as mouse-buttons: "5" for click, "+" for double-click, etc. . In the Blender app I have to toggle that function a lot using the "Num Lock" key, as in Blender the Number-Pad has the function of...
  4. i have "Turn system icons on or off network greyed out! windows 10" on "Meet Now" icon. How...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have "Turn system icons on or off network greyed out! windows 10" on "Meet Now" icon. How...: icon "Meet Now" cannot on or off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-turn-system-icons-on-or-off-network-greyed/dc1b07f8-bc48-4b77-82a9-1d2c987d9b9c
  5. i have "Turn system icons on or off network greyed out! windows 10" on "Meet Now" icon. How...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have "Turn system icons on or off network greyed out! windows 10" on "Meet Now" icon. How...: icon "Meet Now" cannot on or off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-turn-system-icons-on-or-off-network-greyed/dc1b07f8-bc48-4b77-82a9-1d2c987d9b9c
  6. i have "Turn system icons on or off network greyed out! windows 10" on "Meet Now" icon. How...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. System Restore - 'Turn on System Restore' is Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore - 'Turn on System Restore' is Greyed Out: Hi folks, a couple of wierd problems... First, pc is not going to sleep when button pressed. It was doing so until the last couple of days which prompted me to run sfc/ scannow. Sfc found some file corruptions and repaired them. This didn't fix the issue however. So, I...
  8. Turn on System Protection is greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn on System Protection is greyed out: I need to enable System Protection to create Restore Point but its greyed out. I am running windows 10 Home and have copied the specifics below. Edition Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Installed on ‎1/‎30/‎2021 OS build 19042.804 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  9. How do I turn in the battery icon, it says on, but is greyed out and doesn’t appear on my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I turn in the battery icon, it says on, but is greyed out and doesn’t appear on my...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/sarcastic_swede [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hmz0l6/how_do_i_turn_in_the_battery_icon_it_says_on_but/
  10. System icons greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    System icons greyed out: My system icons icons are greyed out, like Volume and Power, so I can not enable them. After setup they work just fine, then they disappear. It is either caused by my settings or: I wonder, when custom power and sound card drivers gets installed, they get lost? *Huh SFC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to turn on sound system icon in hkcu