Windows 10: How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?

Discus and support How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I have what appears to be a common problem, as far as I can see, from searching about this issue but also one without a good resolution. I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by TimCampbell77, Feb 21, 2019.

1. How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?

Hello,

I have what appears to be a common problem, as far as I can see, from searching about this issue but also one without a good resolution.

I have a Windows 10 laptop. I am a local administrator and up until yesterday, there was no Microsoft account associated with this machine.

Yesterday I loaned my laptop to a family member (actual family member, not a Microsoft family member) to allow them to play a game, because they had temporarily lost their laptop charger.

They were logged into the machine using my local account. They then proceeded to login to Xbox using their Microsoft account. At that point my local admin account on this machine became merged with their (child's) Microsoft account.

I am now not able to open apps such as Chrome, or Firefox because it says I need to request permission from a family member. I also find it somewhat ironic that Microsoft Edge works without the need to ask permission (why are competing applications deemed to require permission when the MS equivalent does not?)

I do not see the option to login using a local account, as has been suggested in some responses to this query elsewhere.

I have tried deleting the registry key for the offending MS account in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities

I have tried creating a new account (actually logging in) on the same machine which is my MS account (that I rarely use) but that is a different profile and does not have any of the local settings, bookmarks, etc, etc associated with the original local account on this machine.

I am the 'only adult' in the MS family associated with my MS account and I have, under Settings - Email & App accounts removed the child account and added my MS account under both Email Calendar and contacts and Accounts used by other apps

When I click on the option to ask for permission for an application (ask by email) I get this error:

Something went wrong

We’re working on it – try again in a little bit.

Trace ID: nEGKHb7fgUamkMy+.4.1

:)

TimCampbell77, Feb 21, 2019
  2. airway38 Win User

Unable to unlink MS account back to local

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's definitely a Microsoft account. Here is the photo showing the no option to change back to a local account.

How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account? [​IMG]

airway38, Feb 21, 2019
  3. unlink email accounts

Hi, There are several methods or steps we can utilize to achieve your objective of unlinking your emails account with removing them. Before proceed with the different steps available, we need to further clarify on what applications or where on Windows
    10 you would like to unlink the email accounts. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• The email account you wanted to unlink, is this a Microsoft account, an Outlook.com account or a third party email account?
    • Where are you attempting to unlink your email account, is it on an email client you have on your desktop computer?
    • If you are using an email client, are you using the Outlook desktop application or a third party email client?
    • Are you pertaining to unlinking your email account from Windows 10 as a sign in option?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Feb 21, 2019
  4. IoDavide Win User

How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?

Unlinking local account by MSA account

In Windows 10 to have same utilities (as Cortana) you have to link Hotmail account and local PC account, your local PC account is deleted and you unlock your PC with the Hotmail account (MSA for friends)

This operation give your PC password to Microsoft.

I don't agree this and I'd like collect yours opinions to organize a formal request to Microsoft to UNLINK the local PC account by Hotmail account

I cannot see, and cannot wonder, technical problems to cortana to work with your hotmail account AFTER you unlock your PC with your local (and personal) PC account.

So much we should have to talk about the needs of cortana to create an online database instead to a LOCAL one, a personal and local database that only you can access, but at the moment this is a secondary question.

Waiting for comments and suggestions

IoDavide, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?

1. How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account? - Similar Threads - unlink local account

2. How do I unlink g-mail account from a microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I unlink g-mail account from a microsoft account?: Basically, after I signed in to Microsoft Office, using the Microsoft account, somehow, the g-mail account will takeover and it will show g-mail account as the main signed-in account.Is there a way I could un-link this? So that my Microsoft account is independent....
  3. How do I unlink g-mail account from a microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I unlink g-mail account from a microsoft account?: Basically, after I signed in to Microsoft Office, using the Microsoft account, somehow, the g-mail account will takeover and it will show g-mail account as the main signed-in account.Is there a way I could un-link this? So that my Microsoft account is independent....
  4. How do I unlink a Microsoft account from my PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I unlink a Microsoft account from my PC?: It's running the latest stable build of Windows 11, and the 'Remove' button that was there in Windows 10 under Settings>Accounts>Email and Accounts>Accounts used by other apps is now gone. Is there a way to restore it without returning to Windows 10, the window for that is...
  5. How do I unlink a Microsoft account from my PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I unlink a Microsoft account from my PC?: It's running the latest stable build of Windows 11, and the 'Remove' button that was there in Windows 10 under Settings>Accounts>Email and Accounts>Accounts used by other apps is now gone. Is there a way to restore it without returning to Windows 10, the window for that is...
  6. Unlinking my local administrator account from my Microsoft online account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unlinking my local administrator account from my Microsoft online account.: I was forced by some Microsoft Store purchase to login to my Online Account in order for the Microsoft Store to install some apps that weren't installing off a user account. Without advising me that my admin account will change and I will lose access to resources created...
  7. How to unlink a Microsoft account from Local windows account?

How to unlink a Microsoft account from Local windows account?: I have a work pc with windows 10. There is no domain but my local account is associated with my work O365 profile. A LOT of stuff is installed and configured under my current account which is an administrator. So I cant delete my account or reinstall windows. I needed to...
  8. Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot unlink my Microsoft account from local Admin account: Hello, I am unable to unlink my personal Microsoft account from the local account on the computer I am using, for some reason the option that would usually be there is just non existent as shown on the picture below. I'm using the latest windows 1909 build as well if anyone...
  9. Unlink Microsoft Account from Local Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unlink Microsoft Account from Local Account: I have been using my computer without a linked Microsoft account on the main local account (this one has different settings compared to any other accounts I create) and I recently signed into a Microsoft app (specifically the Xbox app) to be able to use the game bar. This...
  10. Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???

Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???: This is crazy. I linked my local Administrator account (which has been active since Windows 7, then I upgraded to Windows 10) to my Microsoft account. I only did this because Microsoft said it would be easier when changing hardware (montherboard died) to re-establish my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. UNlink local lpv6 local

2. unlink edge from account

3. windows 10 local administrator unlink microsoft account

4. unlink microsoft account from local account,
  5. how to unlink microsoft account from pc,
  6. unlink local account from microsoft account,
  7. unlink windows local account with microsoft account,
  8. unlink ms account from local account,
  9. unlink microsoft account from my local user,
  10. how to unlink a local account and a microsoft account,
  11. unlink msa to local account,