Windows 10: How do I update a Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash Drive?

Discus and support How do I update a Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash Drive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, How do I update a Macrium Reflect rescue flash drive after a patch is released? Should I delete everything on the flash drive before running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by radiowaves, Oct 11, 2017.

1. How do I update a Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash Drive?

Hi all,

How do I update a Macrium Reflect rescue flash drive after a patch is released? Should I delete everything on the flash drive before running the Create Rescue Media wizard, or do I just update it without deleting anything? Is the procedure the same either way? I'm using the free version of Macrium Reflect 7.1 on a Windows 10 Home PC. Thanks.

:)

radiowaves, Oct 11, 2017
  2. johnptd Win User

Blue Screen Error 'PC/device needs to be repaired file:/BCD error code:0xc000000d'

Brittany,

I just fixed an error like that on a Dell Inspiron yesterday. The best and easiest tool for fixing this is to use Macrium Reflect's Rescue Media. It has a "Fix Windows Boot Problems" option. This is what you have to do:

1. Download the "free" version of Macrium Reflect from here:

Download Macrium Reflect Free

2. Install it on a working computer and create the Rescue Media (Create Rescue Media). Make sure you set it to use
    Windows PE version 10. If it has not picked that, click the "Change PE Version" and select PE version 10. You can create the Rescue Media on either a CD or a USB Flash drive although a USB Flash drive would be better and you
    only need a minimum of a 1GB drive.

3. Once the Rescue Media is created, you need to start your problem laptop with the Rescue Media connected to it and change where you are booting from. As soon as you press the power button on the laptop, continually press the "F12" key.
    This will allow you to access the Boot Options screen to modify from where your laptop will boot. It should eventually give you a list of devices to boot from. Select the USB Flash drive which contains the Rescue Media. Use the keyboard arrow keys to get to
    the correct line and then {Enter} to select it. Once selected, it should then boot into Macrium Reflect running off the USB drive.

4. Follow the instructions on this page (How to fix Windows Boot problems) to perform the repair.

Good luck,

JohnD

johnptd, Oct 11, 2017
  3. Windows 10 update wont boot ,screen just flickers

Should work. Illustrated Steps here.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

How do I update a Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash Drive?

You just use the same USB flash drive when creating new rescue media, the rescue media wizard will format it and write new files on it.

5. Thanks for the info Kari. Are you sure the rescue media wizard formats the USB flash drive? I tried updating that way after the last patch and some of the folders on the flash drive had old dates from when it was originally created. I wouldn’t think that would happen if it were formatted first.

radiowaves, Oct 11, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Or, some of the folders and files, which were not modified or changed between updates, of the new set
    had the same date as the earlier set. That is quite common, in my experience anyhow.

RolandJS, Oct 12, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Some of that depends on whether Macrium found a new WinPE or not. It's common for some of the dates to remain the same, or could change, as Roland said. You don't need to do anything special to the thumb, just let Macrium write what it needs to.

f14tomcat, Oct 12, 2017
  8. How do I update a Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash Drive?

Thanks to all for the info. Going forward I will just run my USB rescue flash drive through the Create Rescue Media wizard without doing anything first to prepare it.

I have a related question. What is the purpose of the Rebuild button on the final wizard page? Does it have anything to do with creating a new rescue flash drive vs. updating an existing one?

radiowaves, Oct 12, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    It recreates all the WinPE files should they become damaged or corrupt for some reason, or some critical driver changes and you need a Rescue Media with the latest and greatest. Rarely used. Not something you need to do unless a situation points you to do it. Rarely used, just ignore it.

f14tomcat, Oct 12, 2017
  10. Thanks f14tomcat. Useful info. I pressed the Rebuild button the last time through the wizard. Won’t be doing that again for no reason.

Another related question . . . After updating the rescue flash drive, is it necessary to test both the flash drive and the boot menu option to make sure they both work or is testing the flash drive enough?

radiowaves, Oct 12, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    It does not format the drive if an existing partition. It just adds or overwrites what it needs to.

cereberus, Oct 12, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    I would test both just in case, as it would be a real PITA if either failed on demand.

cereberus, Oct 12, 2017
  13. Kari Win User

Yeah, that was wrong. My mistake.

Rephrasing my earlier reply: Rescue Media Wizard will overwrite files that have been changed, replacing them with new ones.

14. cereberus Win User
    Having said that, I prefer to wipe drive anyway before creating drive. In fact, since Windows 10 allows multiple partitions on a flash drive, I have observed some odd behaviour if drive has say an existing NTFS partition. I cannot remember exact details, but it created a fat 32 partition as well (if there was space) but from memory would not boot.

cereberus, Oct 12, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
    My mistake was based on that: I always format the USB in Explorer before creating new rescue media.

Anyway, once again a good example of importance of fact check before posting. I didn't check the facts and gave invalid info. My apologies.

Thema:

1. How do I update a Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash Drive? - Similar Threads - update Macrium Reflect

2. USB drive suitability for Macrium Reflect Rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    USB drive suitability for Macrium Reflect Rescue media: Windows 10 ver. 1903 I want to make a rescue disk/bootable media in order to restore a Macrium Reflect disk image if disaster ever strikes. I have: 1. A usb thumbdrive with various folders and files. I'm not sure it's bootable. I don't want to lose the contents. 2. An...
  3. Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect

Creating rescue media with Macrium Reflect: I just ran Macrium Reflect to build rescue media on a Windows 10 laptop. In Other Tasks -> Create Rescue Media, I selected Windows Boot Menu, checked Add boot menu, and clicked Build. After the operation ended successfully, I looked to see if Macrium had created a new...
  4. Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Macrium Reflect /rescue media: Hi, Do I have to create a new rescue media (USB) for every Windows 10 machines I have, or is the first I created valid for all the others? 112784
  5. Macrium reflect rescue usb problem

Macrium reflect rescue usb problem: Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device is my pen drive. 28084
  6. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi, I recently created a rescue media as I wanted to backup Windows 10 Fall creators update. After creating the rescue media to pen drive i backed up the partion of windows drive. What I noticed later that all my internal drives are now are removable or ejectable....
  7. Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using Macrium Reflect and saved it...
  8. Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure

Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure: Macrium rescue USB stick doesn't find the Precision Touchpad, rescue media loads without the cursor, I can not use the CD as my laptop doesn't have the DVD drive, any help is much appreciated. 68296
  9. Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect

Problems creating a rescue media for Macrium Reflect: Hello again, On creating a USB rescue media the following error message popped up: The USB disk contains the maximum number of partitions allowed. Please try a different USB disk or remove partitions. The USB stick I wanted for the rescue media is a 16 GB Lexar and...
  10. Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Can't Boot to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in my bios boot list third...