Windows 10: How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

Discus and support How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently bought an SSD for my PC and I'd like to get a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Currently I have an HDD split into partition C for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pizzaCuSalam, Aug 25, 2020.

1. How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

Hi,

I've recently bought an SSD for my PC and I'd like to get a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Currently I have an HDD split into partition C for the OS (Windows 7) and partition D for other stuff.

I thought about creating a new partition on the SSD and installing Windows 10 over there and then merging the HDD's 2 partitions (C & D). Is this the correct way to go about it, or will the old Windows 7 install eat up space on my hard drive unnecessarily?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/pizzaCuSalam
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pizzaCuSalam, Aug 25, 2020
  2. little cat, Aug 25, 2020
  3. DavidY Win User
    Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

In your shoes I would
    1. Take a backup of the OS drive with Macrium Reflect, as suggested
    2. Download the ISO and do an Upgrade install (step 7 in this tutorial)
    Macrium gives you a way back if the upgrade doesn't work, and I also think that doing an Upgrade install is probably likely to be your quickest route to being activated on Windows 10 by the deadline.

Once activated, you can consider doing a clean install later but without the time pressure.

DavidY, Aug 25, 2020
  4. hellrazor Win User

How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

1. How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive? - Similar Threads - upgrade while moving

2. How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?: I'm trying to move windows onto my NVME drive and everywhere I look has a lengthy process about backing up files. I've already wiped my PC clean, as I'm starting on a new slate. What is the fastest way to just move the OS?...
  3. How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?: I'm trying to move windows onto my NVME drive and everywhere I look has a lengthy process about backing up files. I've already wiped my PC clean, as I'm starting on a new slate. What is the fastest way to just move the OS?...
  4. How do I move my Windows OS to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to move My windows OS to another drive??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move My windows OS to another drive??: I have a really full C drive since it only has 100GB on my laptop. I have another drive that is 500 gb which I am using and is integrated in the laptop that I want to move windows to. I first of all- dont want to lose any data my D: drive already has data and apps in it so...
  6. How to move My windows OS to another drive??

How to move My windows OS to another drive??: I have a really full C drive since it only has 100GB on my laptop. I have another drive that is 500 gb which I am using and is integrated in the laptop that I want to move windows to. I first of all- dont want to lose any data my D: drive already has data and apps in it so...
  7. How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?: I had Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256 GB NVMe SSD. I decided to try out Windows 11 Pro and installed it onto a new 500 GB NVMe SSD in a dual-boot configuration. I've since decided that I like Win 11 better and deleted the Windows 10 Pro volume. I've tried to replace the 256...
  8. How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?

How do I move the UEFI boot manager from one drive to another without migrating the OS?: I had Windows 10 Pro installed on a 256 GB NVMe SSD. I decided to try out Windows 11 Pro and installed it onto a new 500 GB NVMe SSD in a dual-boot configuration. I've since decided that I like Win 11 better and deleted the Windows 10 Pro volume. I've tried to replace the 256...
  9. How do I move my OS to another drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I move my OS to another drive?: I want to quickly move my OS from my current physically damaged drive to my new one and recover the lost system files with sfc /scannow. Is that possible?...
  10. Can't move my OS to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move my OS to another drive: Trying to move Windows 10 from my 120GB SSD to a new 500 GB SSD, but I'm getting an error: Windows did not find any disk which it can use for recreating volumes present in backup. (0x80042414) Here's what I've tried so far: Following these instructions, I've created a...