Windows 10: How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

Discus and support How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently bought an SSD for my PC and I'd like to get a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Currently I have an HDD split into partition C for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pizzaCuSalam, Aug 25, 2020.

1. How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

Hi,

I've recently bought an SSD for my PC and I'd like to get a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Currently I have an HDD split into partition C for the OS (Windows 7) and partition D for other stuff.

I thought about creating a new partition on the SSD and installing Windows 10 over there and then merging the HDD's 2 partitions (C & D). Is this the correct way to go about it, or will the old Windows 7 install eat up space on my hard drive unnecessarily?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/pizzaCuSalam
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pizzaCuSalam, Aug 25, 2020
  2. little cat, Aug 25, 2020
  3. DavidY Win User
    Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

In your shoes I would
    1. Take a backup of the OS drive with Macrium Reflect, as suggested
    2. Download the ISO and do an Upgrade install (step 7 in this tutorial)
    Macrium gives you a way back if the upgrade doesn't work, and I also think that doing an Upgrade install is probably likely to be your quickest route to being activated on Windows 10 by the deadline.

Once activated, you can consider doing a clean install later but without the time pressure.

DavidY, Aug 25, 2020
  4. hellrazor Win User

How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

Survey Reveals Companies' Early Windows 8 Reactions and Plans

Bull fucking shit.

hellrazor, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive?

1. How do I upgrade from Windows 7 while also moving my OS to another drive? - Similar Threads - upgrade while moving

2. How do I move my OS to another drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I move my OS to another drive?: I want to quickly move my OS from my current physically damaged drive to my new one and recover the lost system files with sfc /scannow. Is that possible?...
  3. Moving of OS from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving of OS from one laptop to another: My laptop is almost dead. It has Windows 10 OS. I have another laptop, which is in decent condition. How do I move Windows license from broken laptop to a new laptop?...
  4. How do I move a folder from one place to another on drive C?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I move a folder from one place to another on drive C?: Drag and drop from one Windows Explorer directory to another doesn't work for me. Trial and error shows the following doesn't work either: If I right-click on the folder name, a selector view opens but it doesn't have an option for "Move to". It has an option for "Send...
  5. how do i move my save files for pc games from the os drive to data drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i move my save files for pc games from the os drive to data drive: i cant seem to change from os to data drive on this desktop\ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-my-save-files-for-pc-games-from-the/c860043c-e06c-405d-ad8e-f5f8f9e1846f
  6. How to "move" an app from c:/ to another drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to "move" an app from c:/ to another drive?: I am trying to move an app to a different drive to free up space. I am an administrator. The "move" icon on the apps & features page is grayed out. What do I have to do to activate the move command?...
  7. How can I move windows from the C drive to another hard drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I move windows from the C drive to another hard drive?: My laptop has recently had multiple bsod, I didnt give it much attention until I decided to scan my hard drive and realized that the C has a physical bad sector, and to my luck I got a bsod and since then can't be on the laptop for more than 10 minutes without getting a...
  8. Can't move my OS to another drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move my OS to another drive: Trying to move Windows 10 from my 120GB SSD to a new 500 GB SSD, but I'm getting an error: Windows did not find any disk which it can use for recreating volumes present in backup. (0x80042414) Here's what I've tried so far: Following these instructions, I've created a...
  9. Moving my VMwaare from my C drive to another drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Moving my VMwaare from my C drive to another drive: Hello again, i recently installed my insiders edition to the wrong drive, my C Drive, i wanted to install it to my DATA drive, if i copy all the VM files that in my C drive , to the actual drive that i want it in, how if at all would that affect my current insiders edition...
  10. How do I move my hard drive from a windows 10 computer to a windows 7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I move my hard drive from a windows 10 computer to a windows 7: I had a hp pavilion 550-110 with windows 10, but it started slowing down so I decided to take out the hard drive and put it in a HP Pro 3130 mt i3 (Windows 7). When I boot it it gives me the error: BIOHD-3. I've tried changing all the setups in the bios, the only thing I...