Windows 10: How do I use a USB or external HD to install windows updates on a 27 GB SSD?

Discus and support How do I use a USB or external HD to install windows updates on a 27 GB SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Lenovo note pad running Win 10 pro 64. It has a 32 GB SSD and only 9 GB of free space. Windows automatic update won't install Features... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GeoW10, Apr 12, 2019.

1. GeoW10 Win User

How do I use a USB or external HD to install windows updates on a 27 GB SSD?

Hi,

I have a Lenovo note pad running Win 10 pro 64. It has a 32 GB SSD and only 9 GB of free space. Windows automatic update won't install Features update to Windows 10, version 1803 amd64 2019-04. I've run the clean disk file and deleted all non-critical files I can but can't come up with the space required for the update. Is there anyway to install the update using a 64 GB USB drive?

:)

GeoW10, Apr 12, 2019

2. migrate Win 10 V 1607 From HD to SSD

ok I read a lot of things and it is not working on win 10 V-1607

so I need step by step help to complete this

first I got an Acer desktop with HD 1TB

with about 150 GB of data

and I just installed an SSD 240 GB

now I already formatted the SSD and get 223 GB free

also I already done a recover USB key 32 GB

my best bet now I guess is to do a clean install of win 10 to the SSD

I can transfer my data afterward

so do i need to erase the SSD and how ?

then do I need to disconnect the HD

then re start and go into the boot program with delete key ?

any help is appreciated

thanks

have a nice day

RickyJohn_747, Apr 12, 2019
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Apr 12, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Axtremex Unveils MicroSSD Portable USB 3.0 Drive

Axtremex Technology is pleased to announce a MicroSSD, the new portable high performance external solid state drive with USB 3.0 interface. The MicroSSD is designed in a small form factor that is lightweight, durable and convenient to carry and use. It offers blazing fast data transfer rates and achieves a read speed of up to 420 MB/s and Write speed of up to 400 MB/s.

The device draws power directly from the USB port and requires no external power cord. It is also backward compatible with USB 2.0 ports. The MicroSSD will be available in 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB and 256 GB capacities. 512 GB and 1 TB capacities are being planned.

How do I use a USB or external HD to install windows updates on a 27 GB SSD? 167a_thm.jpg

The MicroSSD is ideal for:
    • Data Storage - Backing up or storing contents onto an external USB 3.0 SSD drive such as documents, videos, Music etc.. and many more.
    • Windows To Go Boot Disk - Allows Windows 8 to boot and run from the external USB 3.0 SSD drive on computers anywhere.
    Windows 8 Enterprise can be installed and boot from the Micro SSD drive on any PC or Mac. The device will ship with a "WTG Maker" that will allow users to install licensed Windows 8 Professional onto the drive. It is easy to setup and simply plug and play to use Windows 8 on any computers or Mac.

Key Features:
    • Carry-on to anywhere without PC and laptop.
    • Easy setup and Plug & Play to use windows 8 on any computer.
    • Fully compatible with MAC and Windows OS.
    • Best performance to use Windows To Go (windows 8) feature.
    • Safe, Strong, and Zinc material.
    • Lightweight and portable design ideal for home, office and travel.
    Specifications:
    • Capacity: 32 GB / 64 GB / 128 GB / 256 GB
    • Interface: USB 3.0, backwards compatible with USB 2.0
    • Transfer Rates: Seq. Read : up to 425 MB/s; Seq. Write : up to 400 MB/s.
    • Dimension: 38 x 73 x 9.5 mm (1.5 x 2.9 x 0.37 in.)
    • Weight: 58 g / 2.05 oz
    • Operating Temperature: 0~ 70°C (32~ 158°F)

btarunr, Apr 12, 2019
Thema:

1. How do I use a USB or external HD to install windows updates on a 27 GB SSD? - Similar Threads - USB external install

2. How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?: Windows 10 update requires more disk space. I have cleared quite a lot from my device, but to no avail. How can I use external drive such as USB stick? Information available on websites does not match options presented to me. Can anyone help please?...
  3. How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?: Windows 10 update requires more disk space. I have cleared quite a lot from my device, but to no avail. How can I use external drive such as USB stick? Information available on websites does not match options presented to me. Can anyone help please?...
  4. How do I use external drive for Windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do i install windows on a new SSD without CD or USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i install windows on a new SSD without CD or USB: Ok, so i got a new ssd that i wanna use in another pc, how could i install windows on ssd using this pc then putting it in my other pc and make it work? I dont have any CD or USB...
  6. 500 GB USB reduced to 30 GB USB SSD - how do I revert back to 500 GB?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    500 GB USB reduced to 30 GB USB SSD - how do I revert back to 500 GB?: I purchased a 500 GB USB drive. Based on another problem I downloaded Windows 10 supposedly bootable USB files. The procedure erased my 500GB SSD and installed the supposedly bootable USB files.I ultimately used a bootable DVD drive instead. Now the 500GB SSD shows as a 30...
  7. 500 GB USB reduced to 30 GB USB SSD - how do I revert back to 500 GB?

in Windows 10 Support
    500 GB USB reduced to 30 GB USB SSD - how do I revert back to 500 GB?: I purchased a 500 GB USB drive. Based on another problem I downloaded Windows 10 supposedly bootable USB files. The procedure erased my 500GB SSD and installed the supposedly bootable USB files.I ultimately used a bootable DVD drive instead. Now the 500GB SSD shows as a 30...
  8. Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?

Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?: an I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-an-external-hd-like-a-usb-flash-drive-to/4ff3b24b-d4fc-4237-9598-cf8127730e2f
  9. How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive?: I currently have a 128gb SSD HD with Win10 (c drive), I also have a 2 TB HD to hold games and media, and a newly purchased 256gb SSD HD. My question is how do I install the new 256gb to replace the 128gb HD? I don't want to clone anything, but would like to use the files...
  10. 10122 won't install on my USB external HD

10122 won't install on my USB external HD: I have a WD Passport drive which I managed to install Build 10074. Everything works great. The upgrade to 10122 downloaded but stopped short of the full install with an error message that can't install on a USB drive. What?? Its already on a USB drive. Any ideas? Tried to...