Windows 10: How do I verify recovery partitions after disk cloning?

Discus and support How do I verify recovery partitions after disk cloning? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a new MSI Codex R desktop. It came with a 500 Gb SATA SSD as the only drive and Windows 10 was installed in the system partition. The drive had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by kaladorn, Feb 9, 2021.

1. kaladorn Win User

How do I verify recovery partitions after disk cloning?

I have a new MSI Codex R desktop. It came with a 500 Gb SATA SSD as the only drive and Windows 10 was installed in the system partition. The drive had five partitions (one for the OS, one for data, one for windows recovery partition and one for a bios recovery partition at the end, not quite sure what the first partition is).

I installed a 1 TB ADATA 8200 M.2 nVME SSD. I used Macrium Reflect 7 Free to copy the partitions of the SATA SSD to the nVME drive with the partitions not changed in size. I can boot windows from either drive.

However, this meant that about half of the space on the new M.2 SSD was unallocated. So I used AOMEI Partition Manager to move the Bios Recovery Partition to the far end of the new M.2 SSD and expanded the data partition to over 600 Gb. Still boots fine.

How do I verify recovery partitions after disk cloning? [​IMG]

Notes:
    Disk 1 is the original 500 Gb SATA SSD. On that drive, the OS appears now as E and the Data partition shows up as F. The 800 MB partition is the Windows Recovery Partition and the small partition at the end is the Bios Recovery partition.

Disk 0 is the new 1 TB M.2 nVME SSD. Note that partition D has been expanded and the BIOS recovery partition after it has been moved to the end of the drive. The 800 Mb partition should be the cloned recovery partition.

I'm not sure what to make of the size discrepancy between 17.52 and 17.51 Gb... that likely showed up when I moved the BIOS recovery partition.

Windows version: Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.789

This topic has a bit of advice on how to try to enable the partition but... I wasn't sure my setup was the same so I wasn't going to try this until someone took a look at the particulars of my situation and told me if I ought to try the long reagentc command from Windows 10 Cloning question - moving Recovery Partition?

My plan is to wipe the 500 Gb SATA SSD Disk 1 (old system disk) once I'm sure all the partitions from the original still work.

I have run some windows updates on the nVME drive and installed one or two bits of software, but not much.

If I borked things by moving the BIOS recovery partition or in some other way, I still at the moment have the 500 Gb SATA (Disk 1) system disk so I can wipe the M.2 nVME SSD (new) and re-attempt the drive cloning. I don't want to wipe the original system disk until I'm sure that the new disk has all partitions working.

Here are my questions:

1. How do I verify that the Windows Recovery partition's integrity on the new M.2 SSD (Disk 0) has been unaffected through the cloning? (Size of partition and location should be same as it was on the original SATA SSD) I want to ensure that if I need the Windows Recovery partition that it works correctly.

Note that I read I should be able to check on the status of the recovery partition by running an elevated command prompt and typing 'reagentc /info'.

Here is the output:
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:

Windows RE status: Disabled
    Windows RE location:
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: f85b5b81-6377-11eb-828e-f30890b983ce
    Recovery image location:
    Recovery image index: 0
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

I attempted the following:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /enable
    REAGENTC.EXE: Unable to update Boot Configuration Data.

How could I fix this so it will enable if that is the first part of making sure the recovery partition is functional?

2. Do I need to somehow rebuild the Recovery Partition to represent the new system particulars after the cloning? (I ask because I'm not sure if the recovery includes anything that would be tied to the size of the original 500 Gb SATA SSD that would work differently on the 1 TB M.2 nVME SSD)

3. How do I verify the Bios recovery partition (which was moved in location) works? If moving that partition is an issue, how can I make that right?

:)

kaladorn, Feb 9, 2021
  2. Static~Charge, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Anusha Win User
    How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Feb 9, 2021
  4. trickson Win User

Will deleting the factory partition render the recovery disk useless?

More than likely it is of no use NOW . The recovery disk is nothing more than drivers and some BS . You will not get the OS and recovering from a recovery disk only works if the drive partition is fine and has been untouched by any one .
    The best thing to do is delete all the partitions and just install windows on the HDD make your own recovery disk and your done not to mention you get all that drive space back .

trickson, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I verify recovery partitions after disk cloning? - Similar Threads - verify recovery partitions

2. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  3. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  4. Disk partition after cloning my hhd to a ssd

Disk partition after cloning my hhd to a ssd: I have cloned my Windows 10 from hhd drive to an ssd one and now I have two partitions:C: 446.11gb NTFS Healthy system, boot, page file, active, crsah dump, primary partitionNew Volume D: 1.02 GB NTFS Healty Primary partition.I don't know if it's good or not. Also I can't...
  5. Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.

Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.: I want to migrate my windows to a new ssd and I have watched multiple videos and read blogs but there is not a single piece of information on how to do it for hdd with multiple drives, I am trying to use macrium reflect for the process so what I am trying to do is to not...
  6. Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.: I want to migrate my windows to a new ssd and I have watched multiple videos and read blogs but there is not a single piece of information on how to do it for hdd with multiple drives, I am trying to use macrium reflect for the process so what I am trying to do is to not...
  7. Resizing Partition after cloning but healthy recovery partition is in the way.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Resizing Partition after cloning but healthy recovery partition is in the way.: Hi all. I'm looking all over and I can't get an answer on this: I cloned my OS drive on my SSD to an M.2 drive. The SSD was 500gb. My M.2 drive is 1tb. I now have almost 500gb of unallocated space. The problem is this: There is my C drive, a 'recovery partition',...
  8. No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.: Hey fellas, Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change) Single boot drive MBR was cloned with Macrium to larger ssd and removed smaller ssd. Windows booted fine. MBR2GPT converted the new drive, but gave the...
  9. Disk partition issue after cloning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk partition issue after cloning: Here is my problem. I bought a larger SSD drive to upgrade my main storage on my laptop. I had a 120GB SSD and I went up to a 256GB SDD. On Windows 10 64-bit, I used EaseUS software to clone the disks with the option sector by sector. Something weird has happened. The visual...
  10. How do I show "(Recovery Partition)" in Disk Management?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I show "(Recovery Partition)" in Disk Management?: [img] [img] (what my recovery partition contains, am I missing a file?) I copied the recovery partition over to another block of unallocated space since it was in the way of a partition I wanted to merge with my Windows partition. After doing that, Disk...