Windows 10: How do I view backed up folders/files?

Discus and support How do I view backed up folders/files? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm struggling to prepare my desktop PC for an extensive overhaul. Having put this excercise off for a year, I'm finally taking the plunge and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by dogfonos, Mar 14, 2021.

1. dogfonos Win User

How do I view backed up folders/files?

I'm struggling to prepare my desktop PC for an extensive overhaul. Having put this excercise off for a year, I'm finally taking the plunge and yesterday, I backed up my Windows 10 Pro 32-bit machine (version 1909) to NAS in preparation.

The backups: First, I carried out an image backup of the relevant PC drive then I did a file backup of the users' personal folders/files. I used Macrium Reflect 7 Home Edition (32-bit) for the backups and it appeared to work well, fairly intuitive too - as far as my limited understanding goes.

The NAS is a QNAP. My issue concerns the Macrium 'File and Folder' backup rather than the image backup. The backed up personal folders/files on the NAS has an '.mrbak' extension. I'd really feel a lot happier if I could actually see the names of the folders/files that have backed up but I can't find a way of viewing the backup. When I try to view the backup on the NAS (FileStation) and select to 'Open' the '.mrbak' file, I get a choice of programs and whatever program I select, the backup begins to download (back to my PC, I imagine?) - and, by the look of it, will take an age. Not what I intended.

Question: Firstly, is there a quick and simple way to see and confirm that the File/Folder backup has indeed backed up all intended files/folders. Secondly, when the time comes, how can I retrieve and restore individually backed up folders and files to my PC when I can't see them? Do I have to use Macrium Reflect to restore backed up folders/files or are there alternatives?

Thanks for your consideration. Please reply in laymans terms wherever possible.

:)

dogfonos, Mar 14, 2021

2. Setting folder view

Hi. I have folders on my E drive which I like to see in List view. Some of those folders contain sub-folders which I also like to see in List view. When it comes to the actual files, I'd like them shown as Large Icons.

Is such a setup possible? Thank you. (version 1903)

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've solved it. Set top-level folder to Large Icons then go to View/Options/Change... and click Apply to Folders. Then just change the top-level folder back to Details by right-clicking an empty space.

Taking this a step further, is it possible to have different file views in different folders i.e. all the files in Folder A are shown one way while the files in Folder B are shown another?

- - - Updated - -

dortmunder, Mar 14, 2021
  3. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Mar 14, 2021
  4. mrgeek Win User

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

1. How do I view backed up folders/files? - Similar Threads - view backed folders

2. How do I find my backed up files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I find my backed up files: I did a fresh windows install and backed up my files on to an external hard drive.I did not back my files up while logged into Microsoft. I have the files on my pc but I can't seem to restore them. I've tried file history but nothing comes up other than the account I created....
  3. How do I find my backed up files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find my backed up files: I did a fresh windows install and backed up my files on to an external hard drive.I did not back my files up while logged into Microsoft. I have the files on my pc but I can't seem to restore them. I've tried file history but nothing comes up other than the account I created....
  4. How do I find my backed up files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to view DSB files from Emergency back up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to view DSB files from Emergency back up: I had to restore my Windows 7 computer. Everything was backed up in an emergency folder but I can’t view them as they are DSB files. How do I view them please. I have tried ‘Show hidden files and folders’ in Appearance and Personalization as someone suggested, to no avail....
  6. How to view DSB files from Emergency back up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to view DSB files from Emergency back up: I had to restore my Windows 7 computer. Everything was backed up in an emergency folder but I can’t view them as they are DSB files. How do I view them please. I have tried ‘Show hidden files and folders’ in Appearance and Personalization as someone suggested, to no avail....
  7. File Explorer How do I set view to apply to all folders and sub folders AND THEIR FILES?

File Explorer How do I set view to apply to all folders and sub folders AND THEIR FILES?: I would like to show the Comments column in the File Explorer view for all files not folders. Is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-how-do-i-set-view-to-apply-to-all/0e39a8e6-9f59-4066-89ab-a63f8ab51d99
  8. How to back up and restore Folder View settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to back up and restore Folder View settings in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Windows File Explorer is easy to navigate and comes with so many interesting […] This article How to back up and restore Folder View settings in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify?

How do I configure OneDrive to back up only those folders and files that I specify?: I more-or-less figured out how to use the auto-archive feature, but OneDrive seems to have a mind of its own. I would like to use it as traditional cloud storage like Dropbox whereby I create a file and then back it up to OneDrive. But apparently Microsoft wants me to use it...
  10. Files not backing up but folders are.

Files not backing up but folders are.: OneDrive seems to be working correctly but in my picture directory, the folders are there but all of them are empty. Pictures are still in the folders on the local computer. How can I make OneDrive attempt to sync again? It syncs without errors but not updating the folders....