Windows 10: How do non-tech people cope with Windows 10’s forced updates?

Discus and support How do non-tech people cope with Windows 10’s forced updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have used computers since 1990 and, because I am interested, I have also learned how to fix things that go wrong. I have used Windows from 3.1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wiganken, Dec 8, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

How do non-tech people cope with Windows 10’s forced updates?

I have used computers since 1990 and, because I am interested, I have also learned how to fix things that go wrong. I have used Windows from 3.1 through to Windows 10 and it is only Windows 10 that forces updates onto users computers. For myself and most tech-savvy people this is not a problem but, over the last 5 years, since Win 10 came out, I have been asked by several non-tech people if I can fix their PCs/Laptops that have become very slow to boot up and to respond afterwards.

In many cases these people are casual users who just want to spend 10 to 15 minutes doing emails or some browsing and then shut down their computer. This is OK until Windows update wants to install updates and the PC is not left switched on for long enough for them to download updates, never mind install them. The next time the PC is switched on W10 keeps trying to download and install updates which never get finished. Over time the update queue builds up slowing the PC down. I usually find there is a queue of updates that it takes me 2 hours just to get Windows up-to-date and the computer becomes fast again.

How many non-tech people who only use their Win 10 computers for short periods find their machines slowing down and give up using them? I know of two non-tech people who each paid 400 for a laptop and decided to stop using it after about 9 months because it became unusable. I had shown both these people how to install Windows updates to prevent the problem but (in my experience) non-tech people havent got the interest to retain the learning and they give up rather than continue to struggle. Ill bet there are a lot of Win 10 laptops lying unused on shelves out there across the world.

Ill bet this never happened with previous versions of Windows.

Has anyone else found this with PCs that are not used very much?

:)

wiganken, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

How do non-tech people cope with Windows 10’s forced updates?

1. How do non-tech people cope with Windows 10’s forced updates? - Similar Threads - non tech cope

2. Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows: 5 years later, from 2017, and still you, Microsoft lie to the faces of the world. You deliberately and illegally change our computers for spite and trying to monopolize the world with ONLY your windows 10 spyware built by the NSA for them to spy on the world. You have...
  3. Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows: 5 years later, from 2017, and still you, Microsoft lie to the faces of the world. You deliberately and illegally change our computers for spite and trying to monopolize the world with ONLY your windows 10 spyware built by the NSA for them to spy on the world. You have...
  4. Windows 10 updates change boot order to force people to only use windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do I force update to Windows 2004?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I force update to Windows 2004?: My laptop has had version 1909 for an entire year or more now. The May 2020 update never arrived for me and I don't know why. Now, I got a notification that my Windows version is close to not being supported. How do I update to a more recent version without removing my files?...
  6. Will my non microsoft apps be deleted by forced update of windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will my non microsoft apps be deleted by forced update of windows: Also will it load all the rubbish that I don't want. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-my-non-microsoft-apps-be-deleted-by-forced/88673943-00a5-491d-8604-f592ac250f84
  7. How do I delete this non-sync'd account? The people app is not good, and it doesn't...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I delete this non-sync'd account? The people app is not good, and it doesn't...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/terrybutcher [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ic2500/how_do_i_delete_this_nonsyncd_account_the_people/
  8. How to force update Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to force update Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 feature updates, they do it in phases. It means that they are not available to everyone right away. While it is possible to force update Windows 10, you should understand a few things. The [...] This post How to force...
  9. How people do not understand Windows 10 licencing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How people do not understand Windows 10 licencing: On another site, a guy asked to find his product key on pc that came with Windows 10 preinstalled, as he wants to reinstall as hdd is dying. Here were the answers. 1) Look on sytem info page on control panel 2) It is on sticker on base of pc 3) Login with MS account...
  10. How to force Windows 10 Update to do a re-scan?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to force Windows 10 Update to do a re-scan?: I plugged in a wireless adapter into my machine to test if it turns on, and then unplugged it afterwards, and now in my Windows update I see the driver for this thing ready to install. But I do not want to install the driver as I never intended to use that wireless adapter on...