Windows 10: how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed

Discus and support how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, This hopefully will be an answer to one of the more simpler questions I have asked over a period. I have a Cannon Pixma mx350 printer and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lethal42, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Lethal42 Win User

how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed

Hi,

This hopefully will be an answer to one of the more simpler questions I have asked over a period.

I have a Cannon Pixma mx350 printer and it alternates or the wifi does as to whether it is detected by windows 10 or not.

At the moment I have it set up as a wifi connection to a seperate ssid to my PC, however I have a usb cable to the printer.

Windows does not list this usb connection in printers/scanners or in control panel.

How do i set the usb connection up as a default? Currently it is set to something called VivSoft or VivPDF.

Secondly is it be possible to link the printer share it amongst a specified group of wifi ssid's, to increase the sharing.

Research on both points has proved fruitless, and have even perused the main Microsoft help pages.

Appreciate any advise.

thanks

:)

Lethal42, Aug 3, 2020
  2. RCoon Win User

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

This looks like a good solution, and similar to some of the VB scripts I tried.. but it is a logon script. I would need something that works as a startup script. We are not mapping printers to users as they move around too much, but rather mapping to each computer.

The Link that W1ZZARD posted is good information. Sadly however, I have tried utilizing most of the commands that are available. The /c command is indeed interesting, but we are trying to map them when a computer starts up (prior to logon screen) versus just mapping them remotely. The purpose would be if we had a lab that needed the default printer changed, sure we could just send the remote command to each machine, or even remote into them ourselves and manually do it, but I was looking for a smoother alternative.

It seems like its just something that will have to be done manually and with user education.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Wastedslayer, Aug 3, 2020
  4. how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed

How do I set up default printer in Windows 10

Hi Marcy,

Thank you for posting your response.

We would like to know if you are facing any issue when you printer documents with on other printer.

I would like to inform you that, whenever you give a task to printer on your computer it always selects the default printer to print.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to set the printer as default.

• Press Windows + X key.

• Select Control Panel.
    • Click on Devices and Printers.
    • Under printers, Right on the printer.
    • Select set as default printer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed

1. how do set a usb printer as default, on a printer that isnt listed - Similar Threads - set usb printer

2. Printers in "Printers and Scanners" settings do not match printer list in applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printers in "Printers and Scanners" settings do not match printer list in applications: In my Windows 11 settings, the printers and scanners list my Canon G3000 printer, my Dell H825cdw printer, the Fax option of my Dell printer, Microsoft Print to PDF, and Adobe PDF. And that's all I have. However, in all applications Office 365, Adobe Acrobat, Chrome and Edge...
  3. Printers in "Printers and Scanners" settings do not match printer list in applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printers in "Printers and Scanners" settings do not match printer list in applications: In my Windows 11 settings, the printers and scanners list my Canon G3000 printer, my Dell H825cdw printer, the Fax option of my Dell printer, Microsoft Print to PDF, and Adobe PDF. And that's all I have. However, in all applications Office 365, Adobe Acrobat, Chrome and Edge...
  4. How to flush the list of Printer in the Printer list

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to flush the list of Printer in the Printer list: How do i flush the printer list that comes up when selecting the printer to print too? I guess this is some sort of Cache? This problem is I have many old deleted printer that continue to com up in the list to print too. Deleting them from Printer and devices does not change...
  5. default printer setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    default printer setting: To print a document, I push a print button somewhere; the printer offers a menu of all printers on my network. The top choice is "Save as PDF"; how can I get rid of that option? It has never been a default option...
  6. default printer setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default printer setting: To print a document, I push a print button somewhere; the printer offers a menu of all printers on my network. The top choice is "Save as PDF"; how can I get rid of that option? It has never been a default option...
  7. Settings does not list printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings does not list printer: Using Windows 10. Printer driver installed at virtual port 3. Will not list in Settings, Devices & printers. Cannot access to read ink levels. Have tried to "add printer" but scan to find does not recognize the printer. Yet the printer does print in normal fashion from...
  8. set pdf as default printer

set pdf as default printer: Hi i am using windows 10 pro 1903 18358, and nitro Pro pdf i'm unable to set it as default printer i can't find an option in printer settings or anywhere i can configure this thanks 129543
  9. Change printer default settings

Change printer default settings: How do you change printer default settings from color to black and white on windows 10? I have office365 also. Does that make a difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/change-printer-default-settings/6f785f32-dec4-448c-8259-0dfc85477859
  10. setting default for printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting default for printer: How do I set my printer as the default printer for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/setting-default-for-printer/d634e4d2-7ede-4ddd-afad-ca101042a850