Windows 10: How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy)

Discus and support How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How do you keep Win10 from reinstalling apps I removed? Furthermore.. how to delete 10's metro apps that it wont let me uninstall? ( I wont ever use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lothar, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Lothar Win User

How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy)

How do you keep Win10 from reinstalling apps I removed? Furthermore.. how to delete 10's metro apps that it wont let me uninstall? ( I wont ever use any metro or new UI apps so I want them All removed from my system.)

I KNOW I have uninstalled the Get Office 365 app, sports app and others last night before bed. This morning These apps are back and I get popups in my taskbar advertising Office 365.

- Windows 10 is turning out to be a Privacy Hell nightmare. Microsoft I assume working with the NSA again has devised ways to capture our private data. I had to go through all these websites to stop Microsoft downloading my private data - as most of the offenders are turned on by Default !

How To Stop Windows 10's Spying Ads | Rock, Paper, Shotgun Windows 10 Wifi Sharing | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
    Microsofts new small print – how your personal data is (ab)used
    http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cr...ly/026136.html
    Windows 10 is possibly the worst spyware ever made
    Windows 10 installation: Customize settings vs. express settings | Network World

And I'm not done yet finding all Microsofts ways they steal your bandwidth and or data. I have been a Microsoft user for over 20 years starting with Dos. 6.22 and Windows 3.1. I have Never seen so many un-user friendly policies. Windows 10 may force me to go back to Windows 8 core - or Linux even.

:)

Lothar, Aug 5, 2015

2. Invasion of privacy

Yes Microsoft says more security in win.10 and in fact it is less secure. I down loaded 10 and requested me to use one password for all my accounts. How can this be more secure??????? After 20 min. of dealing with it I chose to go back to win. 7 and now
    my win. program is messed up. MSN homepage up date is not working and wont be reset. My opinion is that Microsoft 10 is for the idiots that think they know how to use a computer and don't. The windows program does it for them. Then we have anti virus
    programs and malware programs to keep our info/computers safe from hackers. Microsoft has these apps built in behind our backs to do the same thing we try to protect ourselves from. They call it data collection (spying/ invasion of privacy) need I say more??????

walker22101, Aug 5, 2015
  3. How do I keep Windows 10 from reinstalling problematic Fall build?

How to Block a Windows 10 Feature Update and Why You Might Need To

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-...

More if needed :

Uninstall and Hide that update.

Windows Update : FAQ

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/...

How to temporarily prevent a Windows Update from reinstalling in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/318392...

How to Uninstall and Block Updates and Drivers on Windows 10

https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninsta...

How to block unwanted Windows Updates in Windows 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/block-unwanted-wi...

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 5, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

To uninstall all the store apps, including the ones that don't have an uninstall option, do the following:

Open Powershell and type: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers

This returns a list of all the installed apps, you use this to find the PackageFullName of the app you want to uninstall.

To uninstall an app type: Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName

The only apps I haven't been able to remove are 'Contact Support', 'Cortana' and 'Windows Feedback'.

You can disable Cortana by renaming its folder. You have to have the 'Try again' dialogue cued up to hit as soon as you stop the Cortana process.

You can remove OneDrive from the command prompt:

%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall

You can stop data being sent to Microsoft by disabling two services and making a registry entry. You can find the details of that easily with Google or on here.

5. Lothar Win User
    Thanks for the info. I'll use your method to remove the apps ...

But why did Windows 10 take it on itself to reinstall the apps I already uninstalled without my permission?

What is the mechanism inside Windows 10 that is responsible for this behavior?

Lothar, Aug 6, 2015
  6. NUS
    Nus Win User
    I seem to recall some store apps, that I'd 'uninstalled' via Start, reappearing after one of the early updates.

None of the apps have come back, after subsequent updates, since using the method I outlined above.

7. I am using Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name *Office.OneNote* | Remove-AppxPackage so that the command does not depend on PackageFullName because the version number is not always the same.

Unfortunately apps don't stay removed, I just removed the Office downloader for the 3rd time and had to remove other apps (People for example) multiple times as well.

Haven't figured out why some keep returning while others stay away.

bartgrefte, Aug 7, 2015
  8. NUS
    Nus Win User

I assume you're running the command as administrator in an elevated PowerShell?

All I can say is that using my method, of passing the PackageFullName string, the apps have not reinstalled themselves since I nuked them a week ago.

Maybe try that instead of piping the object and see what happens.

9. Of course *Wink , otherwise I get a lot of permission-related errors.

After some Googling, I came across this command:
    Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Select DisplayName, PackageName

That command listed all apps I deleted using the command from my previous post, while Get-AppxPackage | Select Name,PackageFullname didn't list them. So I started Googling, then I ran into these two commands:
    Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | where-object {$_.name –like “*3DBuilder*”} | Remove-AppxPackage

Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*3DBuilder*”} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

The 1st one is the same as the one I was using to delete apps, just written differently. The 2nd one is new to me, but after using that one, Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Select DisplayName, PackageName shows a very short list. Only the Store and Calculator.

So I am guessing actually deleting apps requires that second command, now lets hope they stay away now.

bartgrefte, Aug 7, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Using Remove-AppxPackage PackageFullName uninstalls the app from the user account but leaves the app on disk, ready to be installed for other users...

If you go to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps you will see each app has a 'companion' folder with 'neutral' in the name.

How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy) [​IMG]

If you use the command: remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -package NeutralFolderName -online it removes both folders from disk.

Maybe you'll have more persistence doing this.

11. Unfortunately, that does not explain why removed apps keep returning in my user account. Can't say anything about this behavior in other accounts, because there aren't any.

First let's see if the command I used before, combined with the one I found today Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*3DBuilder*”} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online has any effect.

edit:
    As for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, I cannot get access to this folder. Can't add my account, all buttons on the advanced security settings window are disabled.

edit2: Got access now, I see the neutral folders, and some without neutral in the name. So not everything is deleted...

bartgrefte, Aug 7, 2015
  12. BillGates Win User
    Start PowerShell and execute:
    Code: DISM /Online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages | select-string Packagename DISM /Online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:**PACKAGENAME**[/quote] that completely uninstalls an app.

BillGates, Aug 7, 2015
  13. How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy)

that completely uninstalls an app.[/quote] DISM /Online /Get-ProvisionedAppxPackages | select-string Packagename only shows 2 apps, the ones I didn't delete. So I'm guessing I'm on the right track with the provisioned part in the command. However, now I'm looking for a way to delete leftover folders without knowing the full name (version numbers can change...), like the commands I used to - apparently not completely - remove the apps.

bartgrefte, Aug 7, 2015
  14. NUS
    Nus Win User
    You just need to do what I said previously.

Take ownership of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps to see what's in it. If you can't take ownership then that might be a hint as to why your apps keep coming back. If that's the case, activate the super administrator account and use that.

My C:\Program Files\WindowsApps is cleaned out of everything I don't want using the commands I posted.

How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy) [​IMG]

15. I managed to get ownership, was looking at the wrong buttons*Tongue

The weird thing is, I don't see leftover files for every app I deleted and the ones that do have leftover files, either have only serveral kB's or several MB's worth of files left. That I can live with, but why weren't these folders deleted automatically when using Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage in PowerShell?

edit: Just tried deleting the folders, no go. Even with PowerShell run as admin I get "acces to the path denied"-errors.

bartgrefte, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy) - Similar Threads - keep reinstalling apps

2. In Win 11 how do you remove apps from "open With"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Win 11 how do you remove apps from "open With": In Win 11 , I wish to delete some apps from the "open with" list. I have used Reg Edit and followed instructions and found the "open with" category. When i opened the folder there was nothing there except DEFAULT and NO VALUE SET. How then do u proceed?...
  3. In Win 11 how do you remove apps from "open With"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Win 11 how do you remove apps from "open With": In Win 11 , I wish to delete some apps from the "open with" list. I have used Reg Edit and followed instructions and found the "open with" category. When i opened the folder there was nothing there except DEFAULT and NO VALUE SET. How then do u proceed?...
  4. How to keep built-in windows apps from reinstalling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep built-in windows apps from reinstalling: I recently have been uninstalling built-in windows apps to free up space. I saw some apps reappear after an update even though I had uninstalled these apps and never installed them. Is there any way to stop these apps from reinstalling?...
  5. how to reinstall win 10 from Win 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to reinstall win 10 from Win 11?: HII don't know why desktop has been updated or upgraded to Win 11?I hate this Win 11:-When I right click, it doesn't show " show deskstop" on the taskbar anymore.ThanksAlex...
  6. how to reinstall win 10 from Win 11?

how to reinstall win 10 from Win 11?: HII don't know why desktop has been updated or upgraded to Win 11?I hate this Win 11:-When I right click, it doesn't show " show deskstop" on the taskbar anymore.ThanksAlex...
  7. How do I keep Chrome from reinstalling?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I keep Chrome from reinstalling?: I got my new laptop a couple of years ago and installed Chrome on it as I had previously used Chrome before. However, I hated the experience and uninstalled it, switching to Edge. Now Chrome does this thing where it reinstalls itself after a few months of being uninstalled....
  8. How do I keep Chrome from reinstalling?

How do I keep Chrome from reinstalling?: I got my new laptop a couple of years ago and installed Chrome on it as I had previously used Chrome before. However, I hated the experience and uninstalled it, switching to Edge. Now Chrome does this thing where it reinstalls itself after a few months of being uninstalled....
  9. How do I keep Chrome from reinstalling?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. How do I remove this email “ *** Email address is removed for privacy *** from my...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove this email “ *** Email address is removed for privacy *** from my...: Please how do I remove this email from my microsoft account *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-this-email-from-my-microsoft/f4f65109-90ed-4b26-a7e1-dfe34b1da0e0