Windows 10: How do use Diskpart to change my Win 10 installation from Legacy to UEFI?

Discus and support How do use Diskpart to change my Win 10 installation from Legacy to UEFI? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all! How can I use Diskpart on a live C: drive with Windows 10 home, thats installed in Legacy mode? To change it to UEFI, so I can use Secure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jonas The Swedish Goth, Jun 28, 2020.

1. How do use Diskpart to change my Win 10 installation from Legacy to UEFI?

Hi all!

How can I use Diskpart on a live C: drive with Windows 10 home, thats installed in Legacy mode?
    To change it to UEFI, so I can use Secure Boot, TPM, etc. Which my Motherboard supports?

Anyone got a link or can tell me step by step?

The documentation says
    "I can change the Installation from Legacy to UEFI without having to reinstall windows"
    I followed the help files as long as I could, but are not 100% sure I will do the correct commands.....

My system is new.
    ASUS TUF B450-Plus GAMING Motherboard = Full support for UEFI with Secure boot and got 32 keys available.
    My CPU are AMD Ryzen 5 3600Ghz, 6 Core.
    Disk is Corsair M2. !TB.

I've been trying to figured out myself how to do this, but cant find with 100% sure, what I need to do There are a'lot of steps.
    I build my own systems and know Azure System administration - Beginner level. That just means I know what I dont understand, lol

I am asking this because I want to use all the great hardware security that my motherboard has. The installation is in Legacy mode because of GPU Changing to UEFI when my Nvidia Titan Black is installed wount effect the GPU..

Anyone who could please tell me, step - by - step, how I change my Legacy installation to UEFI? So Secure boot and TPM will work?

Info:
    - UEFI boot does not come up as an option in the Rescue-environment or reboot to more options. Because Windows is installed in Legacy mode

- TPM is supported and works when "Health Attestation" is possible. I have reset TPM several times, no go
    - ASUS support says "Its a windows problem"

BIOS are set to SCM Enabled Windows will not boot as disabled. BIOS can be set as boot as UEFI or Boot as Other OS. Both works, but of course can enable secure boot as long as win 10 isnt in UEFI mode.

Help, please? =

Jonas - The Swedish Goth

:)

Jonas The Swedish Goth, Jun 28, 2020
  2. kelsey Win User

How do I switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI?

I wish I'd read something like your linked article before I began. Instead of switching of fast boot and secure boot I changed the BIOS to legacy. But maybe I wasn't clear in my question. My problem now lies in step 2. HOW do I change my BIOS settings to UEFI?? I can't find any BIOS UI of any sorts anywhere. And any F keys I press at startup or Del or Esc or even the Vaio Assist while the computer boots triggers Advanced Recovery which of course has no firmware settings options in Legacy. If you don't mind, what do

kelsey, Jun 28, 2020
  3. TRWOV Win User
    How do I get Windows 7 to install on a full 3 TB HDD?

You must format the disk in GPT format, MBR has a 2.2TB limitation. I don't know if the W7 installer can do it but if it doesn't you can use Diskpart. From the first screen of the installer hit shift+F10, that'll take you to the command line.

Type diskpart to start diskpart and follow these instructions: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions

If you already formatted the disk in MBR format type "clean" just before step 4.

TRWOV, Jun 28, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

How do use Diskpart to change my Win 10 installation from Legacy to UEFI?

How do I install windows 10 without harming my windows 7?

Here's what I suggest you to do:
    1. From Windows 7, download & Install Macrium Reflect Free. Connect one of your new 500GB HD and clone your current Windows 7 to it. Follow step 1,2,3 from the screen shot:

How do use Diskpart to change my Win 10 installation from Legacy to UEFI? [​IMG]

1. Disconnect your current Windows 7 then boot up with the new cloned copy of Windows 7
    2. Upgrade it to Windows 10 so it will be fully activated.
    3. If you decide to keep Windows 10 then do a fresh install of Windows 10. If not, disconnect the 500GB HD containing Windows 10 then re-connect your Windows 7
    4. You are back to where it was before.

topgundcp, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

How do use Diskpart to change my Win 10 installation from Legacy to UEFI?

1. How do use Diskpart to change my Win 10 installation from Legacy to UEFI? - Similar Threads - Diskpart change installation

2. How do I convert from legacy to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I convert from legacy to UEFI?: HelloIm in the midst of trying to upgrade to windows 11 although my system drive is already gpt all the vidios I've watched use the mbr2gpt command where as I cannot use as mine is already gpt I converted it from mbr to gpt using EaseUs now when I try to boot from Uefi from...
  3. How do I convert from legacy to UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I convert from legacy to UEFI?: HelloIm in the midst of trying to upgrade to windows 11 although my system drive is already gpt all the vidios I've watched use the mbr2gpt command where as I cannot use as mine is already gpt I converted it from mbr to gpt using EaseUs now when I try to boot from Uefi from...
  4. How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi: I recently unistalled the operating system so I installed windows 10 on legacy boot even tough my device support uefi can I change back to uefi boot after installing Windows 10 up to windows 11 and will I lose my data?...
  5. How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi

How to change boot order from legacy to Uefi: I recently unistalled the operating system so I installed windows 10 on legacy boot even tough my device support uefi can I change back to uefi boot after installing Windows 10 up to windows 11 and will I lose my data?...
  6. How to change Windows 10 from Legacy mode to UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change Windows 10 from Legacy mode to UEFI: I want to install Windows 11, but can't do that since Windows isn't installed in UEFI mode, according to EVGA's Precision X1 and the PC Health app.I want to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode without data loss, so I looked at this article linked below. Could someone inform me if...
  7. How to change Windows 10 from Legacy mode to UEFI

How to change Windows 10 from Legacy mode to UEFI: I want to install Windows 11, but can't do that since Windows isn't installed in UEFI mode, according to EVGA's Precision X1 and the PC Health app.I want to reinstall Windows in UEFI mode without data loss, so I looked at this article linked below. Could someone inform me if...
  8. How to change Windows 10 from Legacy mode to UEFI

9. Changing From UEFI To Legacy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing From UEFI To Legacy: Hi Chaps, Anyone know how to change from UEFI To Legacy On My PC? (Check My PC) Thanks, - - - Updated - - - [QUOTE=;2103864]Hi Chaps, Anyone know how to change from UEFI To Legacy On My PC? (Check My PC)(First One) Thanks, 170159
  10. how to change legacy to uefi

how to change legacy to uefi: I want to change my bios legacy to uefi bc my bios and old my laptop info: OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042 Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name BERNARD-LAPTOP System Manufacturer Acer System...