Windows 10: How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of...

Discus and support How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-user-search-in-windows-explorer-in-filename/f4187454-22a4-4899-842d-a71b9509dd81 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jianfa.Ben.Tsai, Mar 26, 2020.

1. How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of...

Thanks

:)

Jianfa.Ben.Tsai, Mar 26, 2020
  2. JeffCL Win User

Searching for a string within a filename in File Explorer

I want to search a folder for filenames that contain the word "Committee". When in File Explorer, I type "Committee" into the Search field and hit enter. It finds (highlights in yellow) files that start with "Committee" but not the ones where "Committee"
    is embedded in the file name. For example:

• "Committee-Mission-Roles-and-Responsibilities" = finds it and highlights "Committee" in yellow
    • "19510701ListClubCommitteesReportDirectorsBW" = Lists this file but does not highlight "Committee" in yellow
    • "20150526MinutesBoard" = Lists this file because the word "Committee" is in the text of the file.
    Is there a way to do a search that lists only filenames that contain the word "Committee"? I don't want files listed if the word "Committee" is not part of the filename.

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage )

JeffCL, Mar 26, 2020
  3. GuyLydig Win User
    Search for part of a filename

Thank you for replying. However, the issue is not resolved.

1. The same problem exists regardless of which folder I am in and exists when I search a USB drive as well.

2. I ran the Troubleshooter but am still experiencing the same problem.

3. In Indexing Options I had already added the local drive to the index. The folder containing the pictures has a check in the checkbox. (The exceptions listed for the local drive are: ProgramData; App Data; App Data; Windows.)

Did you try to search for part of a filename (ie. the "xyz" from "aaaxyzbbb.txt") using Windows 10? Does it work for you? Am I the only one experiencing this issue? Only text from the beginning of the filename is located.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

GuyLydig, Mar 26, 2020
  4. GuyLydig Win User

How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of...

Search for part of a filename

I appreciate your efforts, however the problem remains.

When I used filename: in the Search box these were my results (How did you put in a screen shot? I could not.):

filename:765 - files found

filename:*765 or filename:*65 or filename:65 - no files found

When I used name: in the Search box or left the Search box blank before typing part of a filename:

name:*765 and name:765 - files found

name:*65 and name:65 - no files found

*765 and 765 - files found

*65 and 65 - no files found

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Guy

GuyLydig, Mar 26, 2020
Thema:

How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of...

1. How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of... - Similar Threads - user search explorer

2. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  3. Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis ""

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis "": I understand that the parentheses "" and "" have special meaning in the File Explorer Search field, as do the asterisk "*" and question mark "?". There are also special condition words like "filename:", and "type:".Is there a page that describes ALL of these and what they...
  4. Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis ""

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis "": I understand that the parentheses "" and "" have special meaning in the File Explorer Search field, as do the asterisk "*" and question mark "?". There are also special condition words like "filename:", and "type:".Is there a page that describes ALL of these and what they...
  5. Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis ""

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Filename search in Explorer no longer works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Filename search in Explorer no longer works: I used to be able to search for file names in Windows Explorer by typing a term like 'filename: foo' in the Search box. Now that does not return any matches. I can find a match by typing 'foo' in the Search box, but it also sometimes returns files that don't have 'foo' in the...
  7. List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries.

List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries.: TagSpace adds string names inside of brackets that are used as tags. Eg: report[jane pending].pdf. "jane" and “pending” are used as tags to find the file report.pdf. When using Win10 File Explorer to list the files in the folder containing report[jane pending].pdf, is there a...
  8. Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename: I expect that if I type an expression into the search bar in File Explorer, which primarily displays file names, it will be searched in the names of files with the CONTAINS method and not just StartsWith method. I have read this, but the problem has not been resolved:...
  9. Why is file explorer not searching by keyword

Why is file explorer not searching by keyword: Why is file explorer not searching by keyword https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-file-explorer-not-searching-by-keyword/99ac8768-ad65-4545-99ae-f610efa5c50f"
  10. Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included)

Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included): Hi, we've had this problem for a long time. Today I decided to resolve it by chatting with support at Microsoft. The representative was surprised as well that this isn't a feature yet working on their end either. When you click CTRL + F on your internet browser and type...