Windows 10: How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons?

Discus and support How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; This bug has been present for more than a decade. Rebuilding the icon cache does nothing. My display drivers are not the issue. Windows simply doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Foxtrot1_1, Jun 12, 2024.

1. How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons?

This bug has been present for more than a decade. Rebuilding the icon cache does nothing. My display drivers are not the issue. Windows simply doesn't know how to handle icons rendered any larger than the default at 1920 x 1080. I guess my question is: how do we make them actually fix this? Because there's nothing the users can do except suffer with terrible apps that you can't distinguish with a glance.

:)

Foxtrot1_1, Jun 12, 2024
  2. Compumind Win User
    Compumind, Jun 12, 2024
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jun 12, 2024
  4. How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons?

Windows 10: transparent icon bug in thumbnail preview

I can confirm the issue exists and is reproducible in Windows 10.

How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons? [​IMG]

It appears to be a bug in the thumbnail code for Windows. I've used IconExtract to review the icons in notepad.exe and don't see any problem within them.

How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons? [​IMG]

The code that renders the thumbnail inside the folder image appears to have a bug.

I'm not sure what other answer to provide.

I would recommend submitting the details of this bug through the Microsoft Feedback Hub.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a test folder
    • Within the test folder, create another folder the folder.
    • Within the folder folder, right-click and create a New Text Document.
    • Give the new file a name and change the file extension of the New Text Document to a random extension. I used new text document.srt.
    • Try to open the new text document.srt file you created and Windows will prompt for which program to open it with. Choose to always open with Notepad.exe.
    • Change your folder view to Large, or Extra Large icons. Observe that the new text document.srt file displays the notepad thumbnail properly.
    • Navigate up to the test folder and change your view to Large, or Extra Large icons. Observe that the notepad thumbnail is not displayed properly for the folder thumbnail.

Appleoddity, Jun 12, 2024
Thema:

How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons?

1. How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons? - Similar Threads - Microsoft fix decade

2. How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons?: This bug has been present for more than a decade. Rebuilding the icon cache does nothing. My display drivers are not the issue. Windows simply doesn't know how to handle icons rendered any larger than the default at 1920 x 1080. I guess my question is: how do we make them...
  3. How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do we get Microsoft to fix the decade-old bug in rendering large desktop icons?: This bug has been present for more than a decade. Rebuilding the icon cache does nothing. My display drivers are not the issue. Windows simply doesn't know how to handle icons rendered any larger than the default at 1920 x 1080. I guess my question is: how do we make them...
  4. Windows doesn't and has never handled large icons properly. How do we get Microsoft to care...

Windows doesn't and has never handled large icons properly. How do we get Microsoft to care...: This bug has been present for more than a decade. Rebuilding the icon cache does nothing. My display drivers are not the issue. Windows simply doesn't know how to handle icons rendered any larger than the default at 1920 x 1080. I guess my question is: how do we make them...
  5. Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug

Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug: There are a million things that cause the desktop icon text shadow to reappear, even when you've turn the option off in your preferences. Since this bug has existed since about Windows 3 in 1990 possibly earlier and since Microsoft have been notified since about that period I...
  6. Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug

Why DON'T Microsoft fix the Desktop Icon shadow bug: There are a million things that cause the desktop icon text shadow to reappear, even when you've turn the option off in your preferences. Since this bug has existed since about Windows 3 in 1990 possibly earlier and since Microsoft have been notified since about that period I...
  7. how do I get my old desktop icon display?

how do I get my old desktop icon display?: how do I get my old desktop icons display? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-old-desktop-icon-display/9c6747ba-650c-4533-9e32-14e383e30828
  8. how do I get my old desktop icon display?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I get my old desktop icon display?: how do I get my old desktop icons display? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-my-old-desktop-icon-display/9c6747ba-650c-4533-9e32-14e383e30828
  9. how do I get my old desktop icon display?

10. Malware exploits decade old Windows bug, which has an opt-in fix

in Windows 10 News
    Malware exploits decade old Windows bug, which has an opt-in fix: A decade old Windows bug, for which a fix is available, is used by malware currently in attacks against Windows devices. Malware actors may exploit the vulnerability to add malicious code to signed Windows files without them losing their signed status. Digital signatures are...