Windows 10: How Do You Change Email Aliases in Windows 10 Mail App

Discus and support How Do You Change Email Aliases in Windows 10 Mail App in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; If you have more than one email alias in Outlook.com, with the Windows 8 Mail app you could choose what alias you wanted to send an email from by... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by ARC1020, Jul 28, 2015.

1. ARC1020 Win User

How Do You Change Email Aliases in Windows 10 Mail App

If you have more than one email alias in Outlook.com, with the Windows 8 Mail app you could choose what alias you wanted to send an email from by clicking on 'More' and selecting the address you wanted to use from the drop-down list.

You could also set which email alias to use as the 'Preferred Email Address' (I.E. Default 'From' email address).

How do you do this in the Windows 10 Mail App?

How Do You Change Email Aliases in Windows 10 Mail App [​IMG]

:)

ARC1020, Jul 28, 2015

2. Windows 10 Mail App From account

After installing Windows 10 and setting up the Mail app to use my MS account I changed my MS account email to use one of my aliases. However, the Mail app still insists on sending mail from the original email address and not the alias address. I would
    remove the account and add it again using the correct email address but the settings do not allow me to remove the mail account associated with my MS account. What do I do to get the Mail app to use my new MS Account email address?

West Bend Roger, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Beenun49 Win User
    Change email address in Windows 10 Mail

Win 10 Mail only allows one email address, one which I no longer use. How do I change my email address and add others (aliases) like in Win 8.1 Mail?

(Why did I read Win 10 is better than Win 8.1 - it's hopeless!)

At the moment, I'm using Chrome as default browser, then searching for Outlook.com and sending emails from there as my various aliases are still available. But I'm not sure it's working properly - one of my friends is not receiving my emails.

Nobody from MS seems to be able to answer this basic question - do they not know that people change email addresses?

Beenun49, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

I don't know of any way to set the preferred address. But, you have to add your account in the account settings page, then you can click the hamburger button and click on the email address in the left bar to change which account you're currently using.

I don't think you can choose which account to send the email from in the email composition page, you have to first switch to the account you want, then create a new email.

Mystere, Jul 28, 2015
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    I wonder whether it's something they've just over-looked. I only have one Microsoft Account, the aliases are all under one Microsoft account.

ARC1020, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    It's not overlooked. It's just that the email app is new and will gain more features over time.

It doesn't matter if they are aliases to your MSA, they are separate outlook accounts tied to a single MSA.

Mystere, Jul 28, 2015
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    This is such a massive fail, I really have no idea how to resolve it other than going back to Windows 8.

The only reason for using a Microsoft Account in the first place was that it collected emails from different email addresses and synced them all between PC and phone. In Windows 10, not only do Microsoft aliases not even work properly now, but it's also a problem when using a Microsoft Account to send and receive email from paid-for email accounts hosted elsewhere.

With Windows 8 you could set your Microsoft Account to send and receive from external mailboxes using POP and SMTP, making the Microsoft Account the central hub, but that's useless now. If I go back to using IMAP and locally syncing contacts like before, that would render my Windows Phone useless, as you can't sync calendar/contacts locally via USB, not even with Office Outlook.

So, this has pretty much stopped me in my tracks now and left me in a rather precarious position. I can't upgrade any other machines to Windows 10, as the Mail app that comes with is unusable. And the question now is what to do with the machine I've already updated to Windows 10? I don't want to go back to Windows 8, only to find that Microsoft release an update for the Mail app in a few days time, but I can't use the Mail app as it is.

ARC1020, Jul 29, 2015
  8. ARC1020 Win User

It appears it's not just Windows 10 that has this problem, it's also one of the most requested 'Outlook for Android' features too.

http://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/...-alias-support

It was marked as 'Under Review' on 28 July 2015, so it's entirely possible that the Outlook team might start working on making a decent Mail app, instead of sitting in the corner eating glue.

ARC1020, Aug 1, 2015
  9. Svenster Win User
    Looks like a serious piece of regression issue to me.
    I'm confident that the Win8 / 8.1 mail app had the option to select from a drop-down and this is gone in 10.
    The chevron at the box still exists, but it's "greyed out".
    Checked the outlook.com browser version and it's possible to send from any set alias that I have against my main account.
    Outlook 2013 as mail client still allows me to select an alias that used to have Microsoft Account login privileges as well, but sends flat nothing when I select that one.

Svenster, Sep 3, 2015
  10. On the page in outlook.com settings where you set your alias up, the last option there is 'Default "From" address'.

You're welcome.

rickwookie, Mar 9, 2016
  11. Svenster Win User
    Cheers Rick - found that one already.
    I'd expect this sort of feature from inside the app on the "from" field or such and believe, it was there on Win8 / 8.1 mail app.
    Looks like some genius has improved it away and the only way to go is outlook.com through a browser to select a "from" email address.
    This lack of feature makes the Win10 Mail App rather useless because when I need to open outlook.com to switch to a different alias to be used in the mail app, I can just as well stay there and send my mail from there, rather than from the app.

Svenster, Mar 9, 2016
  12. Agreed. Even basic things like send/receive progress is missing from Windows 10 Mail.

rickwookie, Mar 9, 2016
  13. Svenster Win User

It was there in Win8/8.1, I'm dead sure - and now it's gone.
    Funny enough, it's also not an option in thick clients like Outlook 2010 or 2013 because apparently the aliases are treated as individual accounts, not as child objects with settings and parameters underneath the actual Microsoft main account.

Svenster, Mar 9, 2016
  14. I have 4 e-mail accounts
    Have brought them all into one with the link button
    In the Windows Mail App

hTconeM9user, Mar 9, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    +1 +1 +1
    I have my outlook.com shortcut on desktop and do away the silly "middle man" Mail app.

davidhk, Mar 9, 2016
Thema:

1. How Do You Change Email Aliases in Windows 10 Mail App - Similar Threads - Change Email Aliases

2. Aliases email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Aliases email: One of my aliases was deleted by mistake. I need to recover the email. what do I do to fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/aliases-email/e79d9293-bd9b-4fd9-b75e-95c13018b7bf
  3. Aliases in Windows 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Aliases in Windows 10 Mail app: I have set up four email aliases in my Microsoft account - 2 outlook.com and 2 icloud.comI can send email using the icloud.com aliases when in Outlook.com webmail, but in the Windows 10 mail app, only the two outlook.com aliases appear as being able to send email from.Is...
  4. Changing Aliases

Changing Aliases: I just made a new alias and the old one has a gift card on it if I removed the old one will the money go to the new alias? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-aliases/ee3e47c3-f0cf-416f-8b28-105ec490a906
  5. How to change Email Sender Name in Windows 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Email Sender Name in Windows 10 Mail app: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]With the built-in Mail app for – which is the new default client, you can connect and manage your multiple email accounts from a single point without having to load different websites to check and send your emails. In this [...] This post How to change Email...
  6. how do you change the default mail app from windows 10 mail to outlook?

how do you change the default mail app from windows 10 mail to outlook?: One of your answers is to change the default mail app from Windows 10 mail to outlook. No way to find out how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-the-default-mail-app-from/f7bcfcf6-b2d0-4e2a-a822-018d8cc57dfc
  7. email aliases in Mail app vs WLM 2012

in Browsers and Email
    email aliases in Mail app vs WLM 2012: In WLM 2012 email arriving in my alias folder appear in "Quick Views" making it easy to see when new mail arrived for those aliases. I given the Live mail app in Windows 10 a try. In this app I have to click More to see the folders for my aliases and there is no notification...
  8. Sending Email From Outlook.com Aliases in Windows 10 Mail App

in Browsers and Email
    Sending Email From Outlook.com Aliases in Windows 10 Mail App: According to the Mail App 'What's New' details, it says the following: What's new in Mail and Calendar for Windows 10 New features in the latest update: - Send email from Outlook.com aliases - Open & save Calendar .ics attachments in email - See multiple upcoming...
  9. How Do You Create and Rename Email Folders in the Windows 10 Mail App

in Browsers and Email
    How Do You Create and Rename Email Folders in the Windows 10 Mail App: How do you create and rename folders in the Windows 10 Mail App? With the Windows 8 Mail App, it was just a case of right-clicking, but the Windows 10 Mail App, right-clicking just shows 'Remove From Favourites' and 'Pin To Start'. There's no context menu for 'Create...
  10. How do I change the order of my emails in the mail app?

How do I change the order of my emails in the mail app?: Hi guys, I'm just setting up the mail app and I can't seem to change the order of email accounts on the left hand side. I looked up other possible solutions and it appears the "right click > move up/down" option is no longer available. Anyone else experience this? Edit:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows mail from alias

2. win 10 change email alias

3. how use mail windows 10 alias

4. outlook aliases in Windows 10,
  5. windows 10 mail alias,
  6. change alias in windows 10,
  7. alias in windows 10 mail,
  8. alias in windows 10,
  9. change alias windows 10,
  10. alias in windows10 mail,
  11. window 10 mail email alias